Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 05:16 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times

Advertisements

Interesting thread!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 06:32 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
It's the other way around for me, and im good at it!
Maybe we should trade....LOL

Old 06-19-2014, 08:14 PM

4,205 posts, read 4,457,265 times
This is a great cognitive dissonance thread!

In a Husband - Wife scenario, I can't think of many reasons where husband would need to be emotionally manipulated into sex when bio-physiologically a woman can easily physically manipulate him to sex or tease him into a position whereby she can get her groove on. I find the idea of women emotionally manipulating a husband into sex as likely being a manipulative way to perhaps become pregnant when a man doesn't care to be a father - i.e. inheritance situations for say an old affluent type with his latest edition young trophy wife.

Wait a second though, hmm, Hollywood portrayed it. Wasn't that the premise of Margaret Mitchell's tempestuous Scarlett O'Hara character in Gone With The Wind? If I recall, Rhett Butler even though married didn't want anything to do with her anymore, but she yanked his chain enough to get him mad enough to carry her up the stairs and have at it. To which Scarlett awakens the next morning with childish glee and satisfaction with a slightly psychotic contented look upon her face. Or am I getting the sequence of events out of order?!? (Any help here is appreciated as its been some time since I watched the movie).

Either way, it would likely be one of those bat**** crazy women, because most any woman could simply resort to physically manipulating a man to sex if she has a modicum of intelligence of human male physiology and hard wired biological response.

Though, one wonders what Potiphar's wife did when she actually wanted Potiphar?

And perhaps Mrs. Rip Van Winkle would have done so, if she would have known he was going to disappear for forty years asleep somewhere off in the forest?

See I had to delve into mythology and Hollywood to find scenarios that would seemingly follow this train of thought. Thanks for the Brain Teaser!

Oh, and in my best Mike Myers as Austin Powers voice I'd like to say to, moveto2014, "I've got a snapping turtle I'd like to introduce to you!" (jkg)

Last edited by ciceropolo; 06-19-2014 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: additional

Old 06-19-2014, 08:43 PM

188 posts, read 250,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I guess you don't fish and haven't had to deal with one. I'd suggest asking one of your D&D boyfriends to take you fishing...but perhaps they don't fish either.
I'm a New Yorker...the only fish I see are the ones at the Asian supermarket. I don't have any boyfriends because I don't see the point anymore of having one, but thanks for the helpful suggestion.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:50 PM

188 posts, read 250,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Interesting thread!
Yes, apparently turtles have muscles, men want sex and the American economy is in the gutter. Oh wait, I'm confusing my threads...

Old 06-20-2014, 01:16 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
hey,sometimes you have to lie to men to get what you want.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:33 AM

398 posts, read 471,175 times
If he doesn't want sex, I'd say the relationship is in trouble.

Old 06-20-2014, 03:30 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
As for "manipulation" being bad, it generally is, but it's not so black and white. You can "manipulate" someone to quit smoking, or to study hard and earn a degree, but in these cases, the ends does justify the means.

Quote:
Maybe he has a low sex drive, maybe he's Al Bundy, maybe they don't spend enough time together because he works a lot...

Let's say she guilt trips him, to start. Is it bad?
Well, that show did try to redefine what "nooner" meant.

It's an old traditional thought saying about couples...
Men offer wealth, status, and financial security
Women offer beauty, sex, and offspring.

And yeah, men have certainly manipulated women with money

Old 06-20-2014, 03:59 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Quote:
Is this a bad thing to do? Hoping to get answers from males.
I think you need to ask yourself why you have to manipulate him into sex...doesn't sound like any man I've known before.

Old 06-20-2014, 05:23 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
I haven't read the entire thread, but it appears that most of the male respondents are projecting their own positive, even eager, attitudes toward sex onto the husband in the OP's scenario.

In general, I think emotional manipulation is a bad thing. I also think it can create serious problems if spouses have seriously mismatched sex drives. Emotional manipulation isn't going to fix it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology