Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is harder?
Making Forced Small Talk with Strangers? 14 35.90%
Public Speaking 25 64.10%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 12:19 PM

419 posts, read 2,019,009 times

Advertisements

I was recently invited to a neighborhood Holiday Party. Like most streets in the urban Northeast, no one really knows the neighbors here- other than a few waves or forced smiles. So it was basically like being thrown into small talk hell. I found the forced conversations boring, tedious, difficult and exasperating. In fact I found it one of the most challenging activities I had done all year.

I heard that public speaking is the average person's greatest fear. I do public speaking and think it is way easier than making small talk with strangers. What do you think is harder?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 12:25 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
For me, public speaking is a nightmare. Much easier and more comfortable for me to talk one-on-one, strangers or not.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:32 PM

3,340 posts, read 2,829,897 times
I agree with Katie45, it is a nightmare for me also! Thankfully I don't have to do it anymore. I think in most cases there is more at stake in public speaking(your job, a grade, etc.) than with chit chat, which adds more pressure.

Old 12-16-2007, 02:35 PM

302 posts, read 922,093 times
For me, I can speak in front of hundreds of people with great ease. I can't make out their faces, and it's on a professional level. It is very difficult for me to talk one on one. It's more personal, and that makes me uncomfortable at times.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:05 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,201,680 times
Hate small talk. Most people could care less about what you're saying. They are just waiting till their friends show up. At least with public speaking, you already know the topic and have it planned out. Just picture everyone naked.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:27 PM

672 posts, read 2,125,257 times
I prefer the small talk among people I don't know. When I'm in a good mood, and feel good I can blab with the best of them. If I feel bad, or am in a sour mood, I usually do myself and everyone else a favor by just not attending the gathering.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:50 PM

18,118 posts, read 11,753,710 times
I can remember in one college class that I had to speak up on the stage.
My legs started shaking and wobbling! It was a nightmare for me and yet
I saw these students everyday.

Old 12-16-2007, 04:09 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Small talk is easy as long as the other person seems like they're vaguely interested.

*If the expression on someone's face is they have no ideas of their own and aren't the slightest interested in coming up with conversation topics then it's a drag. I hate talking to people like that, it's as hard as pulling teeth.

Public speaking is easy because for me, talking is like breathing.

*If I don't want to studder, I just slow down a little.

*I also figure if anyone thinks bad of me after what I said, they either already felt that waywould have felt that way sooner or later anyways. So I'm either positive, confident and bold or I feel reckless and bold.

WHAT I DO FEAR ARE THINGS LIKE BEING IN SEVERE COLD WITHOUT PROPER CLOTHING, NOT GETTING WORK WHEN I NEED IT OR NOT GETTING PAID.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:09 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,139,336 times
I'm not a fan of either one, and I have difficulties with public speaking (have gotten better with time), but I'd take the small talk with a stranger over the other any day. I just find it much easier to deal with one person than to try to entertain a large audience.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:58 PM

250 posts, read 937,222 times
I do a fair amount of presentations in front of large groups of people all the time. I am quite comfortable in that format because it is inherently impersonal but with a stated purpose. Much more difficult is making idle chit-chat with people I don't know. In fact, I have been known to intentionally make rather rude exoduses from such situations when I realize the strangers and I have nothing to talk about. I just find that intolerably tedious and I'll just about come out and say that before getting out of that kind of predicament.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology