Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 11:51 AM

2,948 posts, read 7,019,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
The most common reason is envy because they can't afford one themselves. They sit in their minivans with a couple of screaming brats when they see you rolling down the street in a sweet Shelby Mustang or some other pimped-out muscle car and it makes them wish they made different choices in their own lives.

When I bought a brand new 2003 Ford F150 short box, single cab pickup, I knew a couple (who had just had their first child) that would constantly rail about SUVs and pickup trucks in general. They'd yap on about how trucks were impractical, bad for the environment and that they weren't necessary for people to feel safe in. This continued until the wife got a promotion at work and they traded their Honda Civic for (you guessed it) a brand new SUV.

End of story.
While this could very well be valid, there are those that jump to a stereotype conclusion about men with fast cars because they really are db's or pompous in attitude. We shame stereotyping, but stereotypes were created from something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 11:55 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,161,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartos View Post
I know if I saved the money many of my friends spend with their kids, I could easily buy another classic.
More like 3 or 4.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:58 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
OP, do what you love, love what you do and don't let anyone else's opinions or dumba$$ cliches change that. I have a small gun collection and I sometimes get accused of the same thing. Compensating. Some people are open about voicing their opinion as if it actually matters to anyone but them. Don't let it get to you.

Love cars too. What kind of cars do you have?

Old 06-28-2014, 12:01 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
understand this, those people that claim you are "compensating" for something because you like fast cars, are actually jealous of you because you have those cars that you like.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:02 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,794,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Because many people just learn stereotypes and "cute sayings: must be compensating for something"; rather than thinking for themselves or allowing that not everyone has to follow their chosen lifestyle.
I was going to type this exact thing. People LOVE to try and fit things into neat little boxes. If it's at someone's expense, all the better....then the person can feel better about themselves in the process.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:03 PM

24,484 posts, read 17,220,223 times
I say the critics are jealous. They probably wish they had a classic car and not the nagging wife and screaming kids....
I know people who compensate for not having kids by having pets. So what. It is their life and who is anyone to judge.
One day while driving in my 65 Cobra replica a women yelled out "are you insecure"
I thought that was weird.
I see nothing wrong with your auto hobby, it's not like you are makimg bombs or doign something else destructive.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:03 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Love cars too. What kind of cars do you have?
T-birds are very cool.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:15 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
I'm 44 and I know many people comment about having never seen me with a woman. I've enjoyed classic and fast cars since I was a kid. I have a collection of 5678 car miniatures. I've 3 classic sports cars in my garage and I spend a lot of time taking care of them.

I also enjoy going to races, including GPs. However, many people comment about me compensating for some kind of lack in my life just because I appreaciate fast cars.

Since when having a hobbie and a passion has something to do with compensating? Many of my friends get up very early on Saturday morning to take their kids to some kind of activity. I get up early to speed up a bit with cars.
Ohhhhhh...THAT tired old mantra of "compensating". I've gotten it to. I'm not so into cars. I build guns. Nice ones that are finely tuned, precision pieces of tack driving, competitive work and know how. If a guy has a passion for things that involve performance, precision and power, someone is ALAWAYS going to bring this "compensating" thing up. Its more than annoying, but I only worry about opinions of people who know me well and really get me. That doesn't leave many I give a fart in a high wind about. Lol.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:47 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,337,436 times
Quote:
It's a combination of several things. I've a short temper, find it too time consuming, too much investment for so much trouble and I could never share the house with anyone (not necessarily a woman, it would be the same with a relative or a friend).
I see, you have mild anger issues

I'm into triathlons, and at the moment, find that more important than having a woman around (girlfriend if you will). My training consumes a lot of my time. I'm up at 1am every morning training, going to work making $$, and training again in the afternoon. I have little to no time to date. I plan to change that this year, though.

Btw: I'm into fast things, too: cars, bullets, money and woman

Old 06-28-2014, 12:52 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
I'm 44 and I know many people comment about having never seen me with a woman. I've enjoyed classic and fast cars since I was a kid. I have a collection of 5678 car miniatures. I've 3 classic sports cars in my garage and I spend a lot of time taking care of them.

I also enjoy going to races, including GPs. However, many people comment about me compensating for some kind of lack in my life just because I appreaciate fast cars.

Since when having a hobbie and a passion has something to do with compensating? Many of my friends get up very early on Saturday morning to take their kids to some kind of activity. I get up early to speed up a bit with cars.
I want a motorcycle so bad I can taste it.

I know what you mean.....

I'm not compensating for ****...... I just want a bike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology