Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 12:21 PM

9,907 posts, read 9,579,736 times

Advertisements

one thing about ugliness, I can see it only when the person's innermost soul or their personality or their character is really ugly and then their face shows it. like if they are mean or twisted and it shows on their face, in their eyes, their facial expressions. I count ugliness as from within something about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 12:31 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,205,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I see people on an off who are just plain ugly. It must be a burden beyond belief. They may be nice people and want to have close friends and a nice job and all the things that the average person has but their appearance makes this impossible.

What is the inner psychology of someone who is just plain ugly?

what???
what a narrow-minded thing to say?!! also I bet you think you do not fall into that group? I will let you know I would not want to hang out with you not for one minute
I have met people that on the outside not "look" very attractive until I get to know them and they take on a real beauty
at the same time I have met some attractive folks who once I also got to know ended up carrying their own ugliness~~ Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Old 07-01-2014, 12:46 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
While sitting in a doctor's waiting room I've seen couples and wondered what they looked like years earlier when they met, thinking they must have seemed reasonably nice looking, but the years have not been kind. At the same time, I'm well aware someone could be thinking the same about me. LOL

I think people meet and fall in love early in life when they look their best; however, there are late bloomers.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:49 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
I see people on an off who are just plain ugly. It must be a burden beyond belief. They may be nice people and want to have close friends and a nice job and all the things that the average person has but their appearance makes this impossible.

I think the inner psychology is that a lot of people tend to not voluntarily spend time with others who are so shallow, narrow minded and prejudiced.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:10 PM

293 posts, read 557,886 times
Quote:

I think they're probably self-conscious, nervous about going out in public, and concerned about being stared at, pointed at, or gossiped about. I imagine they're sad and depressed a lot. I recently read two fact-based accounts of women who were facially disfigured in accidents or by illness. In both cases, multiple surgeries failed to improve their appearance much, because the tissue destruction was so extensive that the grafted tissue died off or absorbed into the structural gaps. Ultimately one of the women killed herself and the other one drank and drugged herself to death at a young age. It's a very sad thing.

I think the better question is: what can/should the rest of us do to ease the discomfort of people who may be painfully self-conscious about their appearance? When I encounter a person with an obvious deformity, I try to meet their eyes, smile, make a friendly comment, and otherwise treat them like a normal person. In other words, I make a little extra effort to approach them in an accepting, reassuring way. Try to remember that it could happen to any of us, an accident or disease, just as easily as them. And try to see the person inside no matter what the person on the outside looks like.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:15 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times
Being severely handicapped fro Polio i learned a lot about life one day. I noticed this guy that drove around in a new orange corvette. The guy was extremely tall, had a severe overbite, unkempt bright red hair and poor hygiene. Numerous times i saw this guy with the most gorgeous blonde. All it takes is money or the impression of money and looks don't matter.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:31 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,236,702 times
Depends on the person. Jay Z and Henry Kissinger are horny toads and by all indications they think of themselves as rock stars.

Old 07-01-2014, 05:14 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:

I'm not much to look at but I have always been able to find a job when I wanted one. I have friends and a husband. What makes you think that ugly people are all alone and jobless? We manage to find people who love us.

Old 07-01-2014, 05:29 PM

537 posts, read 1,242,280 times
I think acting ugly is more of a burden than being ugly.

Old 07-01-2014, 05:31 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,274,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
I've noticed throughout life that everybody has something. One person may have good looks, another brains, and someone else may be good at physical things.

Also I've noticed that most people do not have everything. The person with good looks may not be very bright, the person with brains may not be good looking, etc.

But if someone comes along who has everything, then everyone HATES them! (Good looks, brains, muscles, filthy rich)
This is quite true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannagonorth View Post
I think they're probably self-conscious, nervous about going out in public, and concerned about being stared at, pointed at, or gossiped about. I imagine they're sad and depressed a lot. I recently read two fact-based accounts of women who were facially disfigured in accidents or by illness. In both cases, multiple surgeries failed to improve their appearance much, because the tissue destruction was so extensive that the grafted tissue died off or absorbed into the structural gaps. Ultimately one of the women killed herself and the other one drank and drugged herself to death at a young age. It's a very sad thing.

I think the better question is: what can/should the rest of us do to ease the discomfort of people who may be painfully self-conscious about their appearance? When I encounter a person with an obvious deformity, I try to meet their eyes, smile, make a friendly comment, and otherwise treat them like a normal person. In other words, I make a little extra effort to approach them in an accepting, reassuring way. Try to remember that it could happen to any of us, an accident or disease, just as easily as them. And try to see the person inside no matter what the person on the outside looks like.
The bolded was true for me. I was born with strabismus (crossed eyes), and I had them fixed as a child, only for them to turn later. When I walked down the street, people would literally turn away in disgust or laugh in my face. I was extremely depressed and hated going anywhere. Another recent surgery made me look normal, so I don't mind going out in public now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I'm not much to look at but I have always been able to find a job when I wanted one. I have friends and a husband. What makes you think that ugly people are all alone and jobless? We manage to find people who love us.
I agree with this, also. I met my husband before my latest surgery. He said that he didn't notice my eyes; he loved my smile, my love of fitness, and my intelligence. It took me a while to believe him. LOL
And my eyes never stopped me from getting a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology