Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 07:57 PM

130 posts, read 111,759 times

Advertisements

Im my case i only want the company of my partner when i have one. I dont need any other companion when im in a relationship or when im alone just a "light" network friends. But i would like to be in a relationship always.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 07:35 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
My good friend has this problem and I feel bad for saying no to hanging out with him-but I am very often the opposite-I need my alone time. I also have many people in my life and I know he does too so sometimes I just want to hang with and meet different people.

He recently told me he feels very depressed when he is alone but I don't think it should be my burden to hang out with him everyday or to try to solve his problems for him. Ugh, venting...

Old 07-08-2014, 10:40 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
The very little is this:
- A 10 minute phone conversation with a friend.
- Very short interaction with a cashier at a grocery store
- A teenager asked me what time the fireworks display starts.

I have 2 friends that live alone and they also do not share their life or home with any living thing.

I do not like my situation but I cope. The multiple rejections discourage me from trying anymore.

Why not try renting a house with a room mate? Something big enough that you can get away from each other, yet have dinner together if you want?

Old 07-08-2014, 11:20 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
People fear being alone because society hammers it into us that we need people. I don't think that is true in every case.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:38 PM

331 posts, read 381,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mari1969 View Post
Im my case i only want the company of my partner when i have one. I dont need any other companion when im in a relationship or when im alone just a "light" network friends. But i would like to be in a relationship always.
I feel the same way. A partner and 2-3 really good friends will suffice.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:55 PM

11,362 posts, read 9,275,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Why not try renting a house with a room mate? Something big enough that you can get away from each other, yet have dinner together if you want?
Sorry for the delay, I just saw this now.

Before I moved here this past March I looked for a situation like that. I could not find a good fit.

I'm older so that's a problem. Lots of stereotyping and discrimination out there on people my age (59).
There was also an issue with space in some of the situations I checked out. I'm also a very quiet type. It was a combination of all 3 as to why I am still living alone.
Failure to find a relationship is another.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:35 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
John have you tried OurTime,com dating service? It's for people over 50. Moving any place without knowing someone is difficult indeed. Don't give up John. It may be difficult but it's not impossible.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:01 AM

11,362 posts, read 9,275,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
John have you tried OurTime,com dating service? It's for people over 50. Moving any place without knowing someone is difficult indeed. Don't give up John. It may be difficult but it's not impossible.
Yes, I looked.

No thanks. I didn't pay, however, but there seems to be more options if one takes that chance. The trouble with that site is I do not feel my age and I think that will be a problem for many. I am not into traveling and sitting at home reading.
I'd rather go to dance concerts and sporting events.

I swore off online dating due to bad experiences the last time I tried which was about 4 years ago.
I also met my ex wife that way.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:32 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,729,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksy23 View Post
I've been looking on literature for a paper I'm writing but can't seem to find anything substantive. I've only found a couple of useful articles, including this one:

Why are So Many of Us Afraid of Being Alone?

It's a good article, but I'm annoyed at the fact that the author neglected to mention one key factor: lack of self-esteem. A lot of people can't stand to be alone because their self-worth isn't where it should be.

I do agree, though, that if you can't keep yourself entertained without resorting to calling or hanging out with someone else, you ought to get new hobbies. There's a lot to be said for having some "me" time.

Do you agree that people who want others to join them for almost everything -- from grabbing coffee at work to taking a stroll around the park -- have issues?
I've lived in several countries, and of all, the U.S. is where I find that people are most alone or at least most on their own (in that there's little real community, neighbors, financial security, etc). It's also the place where more people live alone than anywhere else I've lived.

I honestly don't think it's a pathology to feel alone in the U.S. and to fear that aloneness. It's a healthy reaction to a heck of a lot of isolation.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:39 PM

1,381 posts, read 1,772,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
I've lived in several countries, and of all, the U.S. is where I find that people are most alone or at least most on their own (in that there's little real community, neighbors, financial security, etc). It's also the place where more people live alone than anywhere else I've lived.

I honestly don't think it's a pathology to feel alone in the U.S. and to fear that aloneness. It's a healthy reaction to a heck of a lot of isolation.
I would imagine people in eastern countries like Japan are more comfortable being alone. People there are known to be more introverted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology