Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 04:05 PM

26,400 posts, read 46,389,722 times

Advertisements

I am introverted, (ITSJ), and have never had any inclination to have a kid. I have had relationships but generally prefer to be single as I highly value intellectual research pursuits, reading books, learning more about meteorology and other related interests, and keeping active in my professional societies as an active member. I also prefer outdoor recreation and passive recreation to socializing any day of the week. My ideal long-term goal is to have a small cabin in the Northwoods with trails access to a lake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 07:23 PM

28 posts, read 24,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
I am an introvert and the odds of my having kids aren't that good because:

- I love my independence and alone time (to read, write, work out, etc.)
- I can't stand social functions (e.g. kids' birthday parties, etc.)
- Too much social interaction drains me
- I like routine (kids are unpredictable)
- I want to live in a calm, relaxing environment
- I find kids to be boring. I'll watch a kid frolic for a few minutes. Then I'm bored.
- I have anxiety problems (can't imagine it getting better with an unruly kid)
- My wife has health issues of her own (high blood pressure, thyroid, etc.) She's also a teacher and comes home drained every day. Needless to say, I would probably have to pick up some of her slack.
-I want to do so much more in my life (travel, write, read)
-I want to do everything in my power to keep my life as simple and minimalist as possible

I have my moments, though, where I envision myself having a little girl. I usually get those when I see my male friends with their young daughters. So, I guess I am not 100% opposed to having kids but my gut tells me it may not be a good idea.

Is anyone else here an introvert who feels the same way? Are introverts less disposed to want kids?
Minus having a spouse, and occasionally finding kids boring (some are, and some aren't), this describes me to a tee, which is why I don't want kids. I am 25, though, so I don't know if I'll change my mind or not. But I don't see myself changing my mind even then, and when I do, it's rare.

Old 06-20-2016, 04:27 PM

579 posts, read 553,185 times
I'm an introvert and would like one. Although I would need the circumstances to be different than my current situation. I guess being an introvert has made me a bit picky and I can't imagine marrying most people. But I can't change that. It's just my nature. I sometimes wish I was more open to people and more outgoing just because life would be easier. I would like to be married or at least on that path before a child. Since I need a specific type of person to settle down with, I'm not sure when if that will happen.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:35 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,285,041 times
Kids are messy, destructive, and unbearable to deal with. I love my sister (An 11 month old) and my niece but they're tiresome to watch. Introvert here and I don't want kids.

Old 06-27-2016, 03:05 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,041,048 times
I feel the same way.

Old 06-27-2016, 01:03 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,903,321 times
I'm an introvert and have 3 grown kids. Always wanted them and am so glad I have them. I love deep, meaningful one on one conversations. I love getting lost in long-term projects. Kids gave me all of that and more.

As far as the social aspect---I didn't do alot of parties at my house and my house did not have an open-door policy. Kid get-togethers were planned in advance. My husband is extroverted so he loved doing the coaching, organizing pick-up sports games, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology