Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 10:25 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I would probably ask you how tall you are and if you would reach me something on the top shelf of the grocery but I would ask politely and I am sort of 5'1.
People just don't think before they open their mouth most of the time and those who have negative comments or tone are probably just negative all around not just to you.
Haha, I am asked to get things from high shelves in the grocery store by strangers. I don't mind that at all. That's just a matter of logistics. Short person needs something from high shelf--sees tall person--just makes sense to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 08:01 PM

4,056 posts, read 2,135,556 times
Yesterday I was having coffee with a friend. She asked me if I have ever dyed my hair (I'm 60 and actually haven't. Now it's about 60% gray/white and 40% brown). I didn't mind the question, but knew what was coming. Sure enough: "You'd look so great if you did. You'd look twenty years younger." Really? This was totally unsolicited advice. Did she think I was unaware that hair dye exists? And she's 50, with dyed blond hair. If color takes 20 years off, then why doesn't she look 30?

She could see I was annoyed and then followed it with a compliment about how great my skin was and how I could therefore pass for being younger if I colored my hair. Honestly! I wasn't there to dissect my appearance and I certainly wasn't looking for beauty tips.

I actually came up with a response that was authentic and kind of pithy, if I do say so myself. I said, "Why would I want to look like I was 40? I'd just be an average looking 40. I'd rather look like a vibrant, fit, and healthy 60 year old." I then asked her if she is having difficulty with aging and she said she is.

I was annoyed at myself for letting this get to me. I am seriously considering not continuing the friendship. In some ways I could cut her some slack since she was just projecting her aging insecurities onto me. But I resent her not using any filters and just saying how she thought I should look and not getting who I am and why I don't dye my hair.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:59 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,605 times
I think everyone has made a stupid comment about people's appearances all the time. Then you realize your mistake and never do it again. For the most part, people are pretty good about keeping their comments to themselves.

What I never understand is what makes the person believe it's appropriate to say in the first place. Why do people think it's okay to tell someone their under eye circles look dark? Or you think they look fat? Or their height is bizarre? All of it's rude.

I've noticed we live in an age where broadcasting everything on the 'net changed things. Now people think they can broadcast what ever is on their mind to people IRL.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:05 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I have large breasts and many have informed me of this. Like, I haven't noticed all these years. It was horrible when I pregnant. The whole "You could feed a village" comments were super fun.
Seriously What is wrong with people.

We all notice of someone is different than the "norm" but that is no reason to stare or comment on. It is plain rude. I am amazed how my SIL will make comments about big people when he himself is quite obese. I want to say "really…and when was the last time you looked in the mirror" but I don't say a word

Old 08-08-2014, 10:03 AM

2,071 posts, read 2,210,287 times
I suspect those that make negative comments about the OP's height do so because they are intimidated by him. 6'6" is not that tall. Early one mourning I was waiting in line at airport security, I noticed that I was getting an unusual amount of attention from almost everyone, I checked to make sure there was nothing on my head, and that I didn't put my shirt on inside out. It took me a minute to realize they were looking at a guy behind me, I estimate 7'6" and 400lbs, could not fit in the 'x-ray' machine, they had to hand wand him. Imagine the comments that guy gets.

Old 08-08-2014, 10:27 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,786 times
i mostly get positive comments now

in the past, people would comment on my crooked teeth. i would just pick a negative aspect of their appearance and do the same thing.

i recently lost alot of weight. some people say "wow, you look great!" while others will say "you're getting too skinny". to the latter, i've replied "no, it's not that, it's just that everyone else is fat"

and then people get all pissed off because i am the quiet one and they don't expect me to retaliate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology