Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2014, 03:12 AM

403 posts, read 666,552 times

Advertisements

I'm nearly 23 and have never understood why how they're children. If I was to label 18-25 year old's:

18 years old=Not at all a child anymore, but not an adult just yet.
19 years old=An adult teenager with it being closer to being an adult than a child.
20 years old=A borderline young adult (you can't classify 20 year old's as teenagers anymore as well).
21-24 years old=A young adult.
25 years old=A borderline full adult.
>25 years old=A full adult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 05:33 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
all depends on frame of reference, and we make judgements by comparisons

yep,,i call em kids...

when I cant tell the difference between a 19 yr old and a 25 yr old,,,yep , they are kids

no different, than a 19 or 25 yr old would call a 40, or 50 yr old person as "old"

calling someone a "kid" isn't so derogatory- its actually a compliment,,,there's a hint of jealousy in that remark- we wished we were that age again

Old 07-18-2014, 05:35 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
I don't label anyone outside of my Mother as my Mother, my Brother as my Brother, my Husband as my Husband, etc. in regards to friends and family.
Anyone else is not my concern and is not labeled as anything beyond human.

Old 07-18-2014, 06:23 AM

403 posts, read 666,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
all depends on frame of reference, and we make judgements by comparisons

yep,,i call em kids...

when I cant tell the difference between a 19 yr old and a 25 yr old,,,yep , they are kids

no different, than a 19 or 25 yr old would call a 40, or 50 yr old person as "old"

calling someone a "kid" isn't so derogatory- its actually a compliment,,,there's a hint of jealousy in that remark- we wished we were that age again
I find that it's best to not compare ages. A 90 year old could say that a 40-50 year old is a kid in this situation (when it's an older adult). Most 20 year old's for example are generally fully grown physically (I have yet to see anybody grow at 20 besides me who has grown past 21 with it being an exceptionally rare case around here at least, so I don't know where the 'every guy can grow until 21' idea has come from) with the mental growth being generally insignificant between 20 and 26 (the Cerebral Cortex often gets growth, but it's insignificant at this age). So I think that there should be still lines drawn on which age is which.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:11 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,126 times
what does borderline full adult mean?

i think it is more of a sliding scale than that. it depends on the type of person. age doesn't mean squat. you can still be 25 but act 10.

some people have to "grow up" faster than others, regardless of age.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:33 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
i try not to label people in general. attitude and character are more important to me that physical age. i have known people that were quite young yet had very old souls, and vice versa.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:48 AM

214 posts, read 230,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawksfan33 View Post
I'm nearly 23 and have never understood why how they're children. If I was to label 18-25 year old's:

18 years old=Not at all a child anymore, but not an adult just yet.
19 years old=An adult teenager with it being closer to being an adult than a child.
20 years old=A borderline young adult (you can't classify 20 year old's as teenagers anymore as well).
21-24 years old=A young adult.
25 years old=A borderline full adult.
>25 years old=A full adult.

but I'm not sure your post even belongs on a Psych Forum since you are addressing merely chronological ages and the category you perceive them to belong to. those lables really mean very little, since--to get back to the psych viewpoint--different individuals are going to have varying emotional maturity levels despite their ages. That is to say, a 19 y.o. may be way more mature and level-headed and "adult like" than his 25 y.o. neighbor.
having said that, and on a more interesting tangent of this discussion, I have always found it fascinating how much more mature girls are than boys up to the, say, mid-20 y.o. ages. A 17 y.o. girl is usually light-years ahead of her male counterpart at that age insofar as maturity and readiness for adulthood and "the real world" (and even parenting) are concerned. why is this? THAT is an interesting topic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology