Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 09:20 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by education357 View Post
I have an 11-year old girl in a summer program who told me she has a "do not talk to" list full of people she hates and when someone annoys her, she adds their name.

She announces to our group: "You have been added to the list. Goodbye!"

When said people try to talk to her and explain what they meant, she just curtly says: "I don't talk to people on "the list." Get away from me."

I was just wondering if said behavior is normal for her age or is it rude even for an 11-year old?

Am I expected to do anything about her list?

I feel like she could easily forward it to everyone at any time, but she probably has another copy of the list somewhere, so forcing her to delete it probably wouldn't do much.
Sounds like Mommy has blocked a lot of people on her Facebook page and this is her daughter's way of doing the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 10:29 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
That's not mean girl behaviour. A "mean girl" would be grooming a select group of friends and using the exclusion as an emotional weapon to make her group seem exclusive. She'd have a few on the permanent bully list, and a core who she threatens with exclusion, then everyone else would be peripheral to the drama, whether they're wannabes or scared of her.

OP, does she realise that everyone in the world is going to **** her off at some point, and if there's no recovery from annoying her then she'll be friendless, boyfriendless and alone forever? You should explain that to her.
Well, I think you would have to see how it turns out for her. She's using mean girl instincts and before the session is over she might have created her own group. Unfortunately, she'll probably become better skilled at it as she gets older.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:33 AM

245 posts, read 291,697 times
it today's world a list of classmates' names can have the appearance of being very dangerous. be prepared for significant problems if someone discovers the list and calls the police.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:35 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,330,509 times
Sounds similar to "blocked caller" lists and OK with me. Maybe I should consider it. I'm thinking my ex-wife would be at the top of the list.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:04 PM

291 posts, read 392,386 times
Quote:
I have an 11-year old girl in a summer program who told me she has a "do not talk to" list full of people she hates and when someone annoys her, she adds their name.

She announces to our group: "You have been added to the list. Goodbye!"

When said people try to talk to her and explain what they meant, she just curtly says: "I don't talk to people on "the list." Get away from me."

I was just wondering if said behavior is normal for her age or is it rude even for an 11-year old?

Am I expected to do anything about her list?

I feel like she could easily forward it to everyone at any time, but she probably has another copy of the list somewhere, so forcing her to delete it probably wouldn't do much.
This is very unusually immature. My daughter saw another child doing this at the age of four (the teacher told me about the originator of the behavior when I was talking to her about a plan to stop it), and she copied it, to my horror. I have seen four and five-year-olds doing it but never an 11-year-old.

In my opinion, there are a couple of things that a counselor could do about this:

1. Communicate: Bring it out in the open. Speak to the entire group. "I've heard that some campers have lists of friends/not friends, people they talk to.

Lists are immature: if you have opinions, at your age, you should be able to keep them in your head. If you can't remember why you don't want to talk to someone, it probably wasn't a big deal.

Lists are ineffective: if you want to scare people into doing what you want by threatening them with this list, you're going to find that eventually you just won't have friends. If you want to avoid them, just avoid them. No need to walk around announcing it like a three-year-old.

Lists are a little bit creepy, quite frankly: Having a list of people you don't like is a little like a hit list. What is this, practicing for the mafia?

I can't stop you from having a list or acting like a four-year-old, but I CAN tell everyone not to be intimidated by this behavior. Believe me the last person you want to impress is someone who tries to intimidate you by writing your name on a list. In fact, I'd consider it an honor to be on that list. It means I'm not afraid of speaking my mind and other people can't make me do what they want."

2. Remove the negative: If you see the girl flaunting around the list, go up to her: "Ooooh, can I be on the list??? What do we get? Cake? Oh, just no talking to you? Okay, put me on it. Please! Please! I want to be on the list! It's such an important list to you!" Whine. Beg. Take the wind out of her sails. Encourage everyone to get on her list. It takes away her power. She's eleven and using a list to intimidate people: taking away her power by re-purposing her list is probably the best thing you can do for her.

3. Insert the positive: Encourage kids to do something positive, like give out "you made me feel good about myself" or "you made my day" stickers on a poster. Every kid can give these out, including List Girl, but nobody can give them to themselves. Bring out praise for the positive as the way that people interact and use social norms. Every kid gets a poster and other kids can write positive things (no "I" statements, no "but" statements, no "even though" statements) on. This replaces the list as the powerful social document.

Yes the last is a wee bit immature for this age group but it needs to be as unsophisticated and visible as The List.

Good luck. Kids like that are scary. You have to wonder what they will do if they ever get into power somehow.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:52 PM

46 posts, read 38,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Well, I won't say it's normal, but I know it's not healthy. At the least, yes, it is VERY rude and would be very concerning for me as a parent.

OP, talk to her parents about this. They need to know.

She is headed for disastrous years in middle and high school if she thinks this is how the world works.

Well there's really not an opportunity for us to do this.

The parents just drive by in a circle and we shuffle them into a car.

It would take at least 5 minutes to explain something like that and there's a line of cars waiting at dismissal normally.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I agree. The way that you described it is not typical behavior and her parents should be told. Sometimes, girls that age may not talk to another girl or ignore them for a day or two but they usually don't make a big production out of it like having a List and announcing it to the group.

If she is routinely being mean and hurting the feelings of the other campers then official action needs to be taken. Perhaps, you (I assume one of the camp counselors) should talk to her first and give her and her parents a verbal warning and if it doesn't stop then a camp supervisor should give her and her parents a written warning.

Just imagine the potential problems for the camp if every girl on the list goes home and complains to her parents about the rude behavior of this girl. The girls on the list may even consider it bullying and imagine what happens if a half dozen girls and their parents call the camp and say that there was bullying going on and the camp did nothing to stop it.

I'm not sure if everyone in the group knows about the list, but she seems pretty open about talking about it.

She quickly showed me a glance of her phone where she had the names recorded and read like 10 or 12 off and I feel like she wasn't anywhere near done.

I've heard bad things about her and some other people in the group complain about her, but I've never actually witnessed her doing anything bad. I'm concerned that if I go to the admin staff without any actual evidence that I'd be stooping to her level.

Some of the people on the list are people who go to her school that the group mutually knows, but are not in the program. Some are in the program. I tried paying attention to the list she read out and I only recognized 2 or 3 names.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:59 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
Quote:
Well there's really not an opportunity for us to do this.

The parents just drive by in a circle and we shuffle them into a car.

It would take at least 5 minutes to explain something like that and there's a line of cars waiting at dismissal normally.
Tell Parent Please Park, and come into the Office...

Problem Solved.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by br1n View Post
it today's world a list of classmates' names can have the appearance of being very dangerous. be prepared for significant problems if someone discovers the list and calls the police.

But do I even have a right to force her to delete something?

I mean I can't search their bags without a warrant. Is it legal to search a phone without permission from the girl?

If she knows I'm going to delete the list, she's not going to give me the phone.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Tell Parent Please Park, and come into the Office...

Problem Solved.

I mean there's not a way for me to do this on my own without getting the higher-ups involved. Like I can't just have it be a casual conversation with a parent. And like I said in another post, I have not actually seen her doing anything wrong.

I guess you could say reading part of the list is bad, but I'm not sure if that's any different than saying "I don't like you" to a random person and do you really go to a higher-up for that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology