Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 07:50 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I'm not giving my age. But I am old enough to know what I'm talking about.

I agree about blanket statements, but also about (when it's under their control) people not leaving nothing (I'd say very little also is not okay). Parents should decide about inheritance between themselves, factoring into it the smarts and needs of their descendants. I don't automatically trust old folks to make good decisions, especially when fear, loneliness, and/or cognitive decline are involved, and some of them never had good judgment to begin with. By the way, I encourage any adult children here to step in fast if their aging parents show signs of unexpectedly bad decision-making. And, re cosmetic surgery, elderly people should almost never have it if they're in declining health.
It's one thing to think this when you're expecting an inheritance (by the way, THAT is a sense of entitlement - you realize that, don't you?). It's another thing altogether when you've worked all your life to save for your retirement years and suddenly you realize that your "kids" (who are in their forties and fifties, so should have their OWN retirement funds at this point) are begrudging you spending your money on yourself.

The fact that you won't tell your age tells a lot about your perspective.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:37 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,317,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
The one thing I can't understand about older people is the seemingly common preference for having things be quiet.

I love loud music now, in my fifties, and I can't imagine that will be any different when I'm in my eighties, if I make it that long.

So why are there over-55 communitys that don't allow anyone younger? What is it they are trying to escape? I would think it's noise. So, why is noise so bad? Is it automatic that as you get older you just want more peace and quiet?
I'm 39 and wish I could live in a 55+ community now. In my view, younger people ( teens/20s) tend to be obnoxious whereever they go; they are generally the loudest, most disruptive, and least respectful of their surroundings than older people, so living in areas with a lot of younger people is generally not as pleasant as living in areas with an older population. And I see it here now as I sit in a small neighborhood donut shop typing this: when groups of teenagers walk in, the decibel level goes up and calm atmosphere vanishes. They tend to excel at acting as if they are the only ones in a given environment that matter. Add in the blasting car music, aggressive driving, and discourteous overall behaviors and you get an area that is disruptive.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:52 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
I've noticed a fair amount of old people acting entitled. Many people also give them an excuse for their bad behavior or demanding attitudes, just because they are old. This may start around age 65 or so, but really takes hold in the 70s.

Do you think this is acceptable? It seems a lot of people think it's fine, just because they are old.
They will say they have earned the "right" - but do you really know they've "earned" it? And is selfishness, rudeness, and a demanding attitude ever a "right"?

Outside of family, I cannot see why any older person has any claim on someone younger having to do anything special for them, outside of basic human respect you give to someone at any age.

People often seem to think old people deserve more help; yet I've seen many well-off & capable old people taking advantage of those less well-off who are younger, and it's deemed acceptable because of their ages. There are things like senior discounts also, given with the assumption that retirement shrinks your budget, yet lot of old people are more comfortably situated than the younger generations who struggle to make ends meet in this economy.

There is also the notion that older people are more wise. After encountering so many prejudiced, racist, bigoted, sexist, trite, and just plain stupid old people, I have trouble buying this. It seems to me wisdom & maturity is not an automatic development with age, and a fair amount of young people show more insight than some old people. But many old people have a sense of entitlement & importance because of this idea - their thoughts & words & perspectives & stories are supposed to be given more weight than other people's, no matter how cliche, dull or warped.

What is your take on this? Do we generally treat old people fairly, or do they get a lot of unjust favoritism?
Do you see their attitudes & behaviors reflecting entitlement towards this favoritism?
I have noticed this. I've had some elderly relatives who could be extremely rude and people in the family would always excuse the behavior with "they are old" or "they're old fashioned" (old fashioned means outdated most of the time). Sorry, just because you're old does not exempt you from common courtesy.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:21 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,878,376 times
I'm older than 25. Even if I wanted to play the game attempted here, I do not give out my precise age online (for safety reasons). People can think of inheritance as entitlement, but as far as I know, all historical societies (excluding tribal and maybe nomad) have inheritance as the norm. My hunch is that, decades ago, elderly people blowing through their money was rare. I think some old people have trouble knowing how to enjoy themselves without spending much money - idle hands, devils' work.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:05 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
I've worked in assisted living facilities and nursing homes for 18 years. Some old people act entitled. Some are rude. Some are obnoxious. Some are sweet. Some are kind and courteous. Just like the rest of the world's population, they are all different. I run into people of all ages in everyday life who act entitled and are rude and others who do not. Why is it extra special "news" that old people are just like everyone else and many are flawed just like everyone else?

Old 08-15-2014, 02:15 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
I'm not afraid to give my age - I'm a couple of months shy of 79. I've survived two husbands; have raised five children; have worked full-time in a responsible position;, which in later years required knowledge of computer programs; had open-heart surgery; colon cancer. I collect my Social Security check without regret. I have a retirement account that is dwindling slowly because I use it to pay my property taxes every year.

I don't now and never have asked anyone to excuse me from anything because of my age. When I was active in theater, I got along with everyone I interacted with, from a boy of 11 to a gentleman of 82 and all ages in between. Well, except for one fellow-actor but she's now deceased so I've forgiven her her ego.

I live in my own home and don't ask anyone for help in cleaning and maintaining. If I need something done, I pay someone to do it.

I spend my money judiciously and while I don't squander it, I'm not going to set my thermostat at 55 so I can leave a little something for my children.

Am I cranky? Sometimes, because people occasionally try my patience. Am I respectful of others? Indeed, until they show disrespect to me. I don't think I'm entitled to anything more than common courtesy, which should be shown to everyone.

I don't leave my shopping cart in the middle of the parking lot. I don't try to cut in line when in a store, bank or restaurant. I don't play my music too loud and I don't have wild parties. I only wish!

After reading this thread, I realize that I am a truly unique senior citizen. Either that, or many of you have been hanging out with the wrong crowd.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:59 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times
The question is not - Why are older people needing so much quiet? .. the question i want to know is "Why do some younger people feel they need to have all that noise?"

Old 08-15-2014, 07:45 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I'm older than 25. Even if I wanted to play the game attempted here, I do not give out my precise age online (for safety reasons). People can think of inheritance as entitlement, but as far as I know, all historical societies (excluding tribal and maybe nomad) have inheritance as the norm. My hunch is that, decades ago, elderly people blowing through their money was rare. I think some old people have trouble knowing how to enjoy themselves without spending much money - idle hands, devils' work.
Be safe. LOL

Old 08-15-2014, 08:19 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
However, you seem to have a problem with older people in general.
I think it's what the OP calls prejudice.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:17 PM

2 posts, read 927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
I've noticed a fair amount of old people acting entitled. Many people also give them an excuse for their bad behavior or demanding attitudes, just because they are old. This may start around age 65 or so, but really takes hold in the 70s.

Do you think this is acceptable? It seems a lot of people think it's fine, just because they are old.
They will say they have earned the "right" - but do you really know they've "earned" it? And is selfishness, rudeness, and a demanding attitude ever a "right"?

Outside of family, I cannot see why any older person has any claim on someone younger having to do anything special for them, outside of basic human respect you give to someone at any age.

People often seem to think old people deserve more help; yet I've seen many well-off & capable old people taking advantage of those less well-off who are younger, and it's deemed acceptable because of their ages. There are things like senior discounts also, given with the assumption that retirement shrinks your budget, yet lot of old people are more comfortably situated than the younger generations who struggle to make ends meet in this economy.

There is also the notion that older people are more wise. After encountering so many prejudiced, racist, bigoted, sexist, trite, and just plain stupid old people, I have trouble buying this. It seems to me wisdom & maturity is not an automatic development with age, and a fair amount of young people show more insight than some old people. But many old people have a sense of entitlement & importance because of this idea - their thoughts & words & perspectives & stories are supposed to be given more weight than other people's, no matter how cliche, dull or warped.

What is your take on this? Do we generally treat old people fairly, or do they get a lot of unjust favoritism?
Do you see their attitudes & behaviors reflecting entitlement towards this favoritism?

Yes, I've noticed a lot of older people with entitled mentalities and this irritates me as well. I am agreement with people not revering older people just because they have experience. Age doesn't mean wisdom. That's a stereotype. I've encountered a number of older people who think they know what they are talking about and completely disregard when a young person warns them and tries to help them. Their logic is "I'm older than you, you don't teach me".
Yet, they complain when young people don't listen to them. They have this logic like they should be listened to and both the other way around. It doesn't work like this, if they want consideration they need to also show consideration and listen to others. Their age doesn't mean they can do as they please. While I agree with respecting them, I believe this because I believe we should respect each other in general. However, when they starting acting entitled, they need to be told that it's not appropriate to others. They still earn to earn peoples respect like everyone else. With this being said, I agree with you. Many older people are just as hardheaded and mentally entitled as they accuse this generation. They are need of correction like everyone else, and no amount of wisdom or age grants them disproportionate leniency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology