Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 10:54 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times

Advertisements

OP I think your obsessed with this whole life coaching thing. Some people need them most people don't. Not everyone has decent parents or people in their lives that they can turn to for good advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 06:58 AM

372 posts, read 533,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Life Coaching is like being an LSW, psychiatrist or psychologist without the pesky educational or licensing requirements. I am sure that, just as some people go into the mental health field to help work out their own mental health issues, the same thing happens with life coaches.

That doesn't mean that a particular life coach can't be effective. If you are someone who grew up feral with absent or emotionally withholding parents, or were abused or some such similar situation, you might benefit from working with someone who can be a sort of substitute parent to your inner child. I think that whether a life coach, social worker, psychiatrist or psychologist, I would want to know their personal story, the testimonials of other clients, general reputation, and then I would have to feel an affinity and mutual respect to proceed very far with them.

It's almost more important for any such "hired friend" to be intuitive in assessing your issues and helping you to assess them for yourself, than how educated or licensed they are. There are people who have post-doctorate degrees in mental health who couldn't counsel their way out of a paper bag.

Many life coaches seem to be into new-age types of beliefs, eastern religion, etc., and I would tend to shy away from anyone with a predetermined agenda or belief-system they were operating from.

Although anyone reading this could hang out a shingle as a life coach tomorrow, there are, I'm sure, some attempts at self-regulation in that line of work and I'd at least look for someone who belongs to an organization that tries to impose and validate some kind of adherence to basic professional standards.

All that said, I'm skeptical that any kind of "hired friend" is apt to be that helpful to anyone who had basically healthy parenting. The most it would probably do for someone with good self-confidence and awareness is to help them get unstuck on some particular issue. That's nothing a good, mature friend couldn't help you with, but in today's society it's easy to feel alienated and friendless ... it's easier said than done to find and keep those kinds of friends.

"Hiring" a friend can be expensive and require a lot of trial and error and false starts. I feel for people who really need the help; the processing of finding someone is discouraging enough, and once you've done so, you still have to go through the whole process of working out your issues. I know people who just do the best they can on their own after bad experiences with "helpers".

To equate a "life-coach" with a well trained clinician is as absurd as calling a well trained clinician a "hired friend."

It also shows a lack of sophistication into the complexities of human nature, and the practice of psychology.

Everyone has issues--you're not human if you don't. It's how you deal with them that matters.

If you deal with issues from inside a bubble of an encapsulated mind, you're not in relationship with others. While you don't have a problem, others will struggle in their dealings with you.

If you deal with issues without enough boundaries, you may be in too much relationship with others, lose yourself, and you yourself struggle.

Finding the balance between those two aspects, takes reflection, compassion, open dialog, and patience.

To address a mental health professional as a "hired friend" is a pejorative opinion that can dangerously derail people who need/want help from seeking it--similar to calling a surgeon a "butcher."

Some of the most seriously troubled individuals I've ever met--before I became a mental health practitioner--were in very high levels of authority, across a wide field of professions. In fact, it was my curiosity about how/why that could be possible that led to my return to school (I was previously in medicine).

The most important factors in finding someone helpful are as follows:
*they have good, reputable, advanced training
*they have done their own psychological work
*their guidance is effective, practical, and makes sense
*you're not obligated into financial contracts
*you learn how be in the middle of a situation, see all sides, and choose the best possible outcome
*there is a balance of empathy with critical thinking/discernment
*they are able to see how you shoot yourself in the foot... and kindly help you see that

Life coaching (also known as counseling) has always been the hallmark of a good mental health professional.
Mental health and developmental education is not part of life coach training.
Life coaches sometimes have more confidence than actual understanding, and over-step their expertise.

People can be taken advantage of because they are emotionally vulnerable in the midst of their pain.

This emotional vulnerability causes a sway:
from grasping too much onto professional guidance--to--rejecting the insights of professional help

Cognitive and emotional wellness is complex, and should never be over-simplified.

Now that I've cleared the distinctions...

Is Life Coaching necessary?

It depends... if you're unable to get from where you are, to where you want to be, if you need help making effective changes, life coaching can ask you the necessary questions to elicit your internal self-motivation, and provide practical tools to get you on your way.

If you make progress--great--that's what you needed.

If you don't make progress, or if you seriously stall along the way, a trained mental health clinician is the next step.

Digging deep within yourself to find/deepen your longing and determination, is based on the ability to feel the pain and frustration of not having what you want, and balancing your thinking and intuition--remember Jiminy Cricket?

You have the wellspring of guidance already within you. It usually only takes courage to act...

... and having courage--the ability to act amidst fear--is sometimes the biggest challenge of all.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:53 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,393,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
OP I think your obsessed with this whole life coaching thing. Some people need them most people don't. Not everyone has decent parents or people in their lives that they can turn to for good advice.
I think is a bit of a scam, but there's a lot of market on the "self motivation" field, so if they are paying with top dollar why not create a commodity? that will help a few people...obsessed? no. Surprised anyone can do that and get a certification if they pay top dollar? Yes...

I prefer to read a book instead: I found that more helpful.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:23 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
I don't believe in the concept of a "life coach". It's absolutely absurd, like the mood ring or the idea that a rock can be a pet.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:16 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,708,972 times
I prefer coming on random message board and discussing my issue & gaining free advice to re-direct my life. I just need to filter a little bit extra but you get what you paid for here

Old 06-20-2015, 09:01 AM

Reality is...when you don't know the "coach" life is easier to believe they can "coach" you.

Life is "trial and error". You learn from your mistakes.

I've known three coaches so far and they put a lot of "mumbo jumbo" into the mix.

One is a bible hugger. Crazy as hell who even insults you, when you say something she thinks is obvious. Like "stupid! you know that". She thinks it's funny, but is not.

One I dated. Sweet and intelligent woman with a master's degree in "mental health" she is a child psychologist, but I suspect she has a mental disorder, like bipolar cychlotimia or something to that extent, you know the incident so far. She gave pearls like "I'm not God to forgive anyone". And she is a certified life coach and kabbalah tutor who believes in the color of the clothing to align with the planets. Crazy as a wild goat, but very intelligent and funny when on "normal" mode.

The other one was a professional massage therapist, for my back problem. Who gave me coaching because she felt I was so tense on my lower back. She is into new age and said the back problem was guilt. It was interesting, she didn't charge me extra for that "advice".

The bottom line is this: you ask for advice, but in the long run, it's cheaper to ask a friend. To ask on a board with random strangers. In the long run, it's your call. Paying top dollar for a "coaching" in life is just a quick and expensive "fix" to a problem.

I believe in some coaching: professional coach, sports coach, spiritual coach with a pastor, but life is trial and error. No one can decide for you.

Read Wayne Dyer instead.

Or ask your local bartender, he or she will know. Or at least fix you a good drink.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:10 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,010,760 times
A life coach is somebody who wants to practice psychology without having to put in the hard work of becoming a psychologist.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:31 PM

10 posts, read 12,231 times
Not sure why everyone is down on life coaches.

Anyone ever have a "Mentor?"
Anyone ever serve as an apprentice?
Anyone start at the bottom of their field and have someone higher up, give them tips, pointers, guidance on how to further their careers ?

OH...you have. Well my friends, you have used the services of a "Life Coach."

All top athletes have Psy Coaches or Life Coaches...so do all Top biz people. Its a well known fact.

They also have "advisers" would could also be considered "life coaches."

What's the big deal with the Title "Life Coach?"

So What ? ? ?

Old 06-21-2015, 01:51 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,010,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiscute View Post
Read one post above this one. You're welcome.

Old 06-21-2015, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiscute View Post
Not sure why everyone is down on life coaches.

Anyone ever have a "Mentor?"
Anyone ever serve as an apprentice?
Anyone start at the bottom of their field and have someone higher up, give them tips, pointers, guidance on how to further their careers ?

OH...you have. Well my friends, you have used the services of a "Life Coach."

All top athletes have Psy Coaches or Life Coaches...so do all Top biz people. Its a well known fact.

They also have "advisers" would could also be considered "life coaches."

So What ? ? ?

A "coach" in terms of sports is okay since a coach told you what to do in the field. NFL coaches by nature are great motivators.

Business coach is also necessary, since not everybody is good at being at an entrepeneur for instance

Even a "dating coach" since "dating" is an art form. And most of us feel awkward meeting new people often.

But a Life coach? Really? Paying somebody else to say "do this, do that" to improve your life. And charging from $60 to $100 per hour.

And they will tell you things you already know.

Buy a Wayne Dyer or Dale Carnagie book instead.

"Life coach" is just a "hip" way to avoid going to a psychologist. Which for me it's way better to go to a psychologist or therapist and even cost less.

The mentor thing is okay when you are a teenager but not when you are a grown up man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology