Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 10:40 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzic072014 View Post
its not how guys can talk about everything and get sarcasm, but its different with women? Like you can't make the same jokes around women, they are like too serious? too sensitive ? but few can be fun
Every woman has a good, often great sense of humor. Whether or not you can recognize that humor and appreciate it, is up to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 02:21 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
There are a few funny women I've met and a few funny female comedians but about 90% of the funny people that I've met in my life and the large majority of funny comedians are men. It may be because women are so easily offended or the range of topics of discussion are much more narrow with women than with men...just speculating. But I enjoy being around funny people of both genders.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:15 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,944,929 times
I tend to agree with the OP. Women humor is often really bland and not funny. I think a lot of it can be explained by the fact that women are "nicer" than men. I don't mean that they are actually nicer, but they think that is the persona that they should portray. Also, many women seem to take things more personally than do many men.

Men understand that they can say mean, nasty and hateful things in jest and other men will know they aren't serious whereas there is a greater chance that women would take it to heart.

Most humor is based on degrading someone, some group or something bad (physical or otherwise) happening to someone, with observational humor being the main exception. If you don't believe me, watch Kimmel, Letterman or SNL and the majority of the jokes are mocking in nature. I think women are perceived as less funny because they worry more about other peoples' feelings.

Last edited by War Beagle; 08-12-2014 at 07:26 AM..

Old 08-12-2014, 07:56 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,440,513 times
I learned many years ago that men are much more likely than women to like scatological humor. I've had men think my sense of humor lacking, whereas I think some of theirs is juvenile. I think I have a very good sense of humor and I also know I'm funny.

Last edited by Rubi3; 08-12-2014 at 08:30 AM..

Old 08-12-2014, 12:31 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Women are funny too good grief.

Golden girls
All in the family
The Jeffersons
I love Lucy
Mary Tyler More show
Mama's family
Roseanne
Raymond
King of Queens
That 70's show
Snl
Knocked up
Brides Maids
Mean girls
American Pie
Superstar
3rd Rock from the Sun

Soooo many ladies in these that are very funny.

Ladies can be extremely funny.
I agree with many of the actors on the tv shows you listed; however, the OP's initial posting referred to gals in 'real life' v. acting out a role.

Old 08-12-2014, 02:05 PM

539 posts, read 523,449 times
Some women are definitely funny. Just the majority of funny people in life are men.

I think it goes back to being a little kid. The cool kids who got girls and had friends were funny (and good at sports). So that's what men strive to be until it's engrained in them

Old 08-12-2014, 02:17 PM

3 posts, read 3,216 times
Women are of a different function I find. I'm a woman, I dislike when my significant other uses sarcasm or jokes with me, because around my time of the month, I'm sensitive. I'm not ashamed of the cycle of menstration, I embrace it. But I ahve to tell my man to be sensitive with me around my "PMS" time.

Every woman is different. If you like saracam, find a rough girl who is insensitive.

Men and woman are different, but amother the gender difference, women are different from other women.
If you like gruff women, hang out at a biker bar, they like a fine sarcastic joke and won't take it to heart.

Maybe trry being more sensitive.

Old 08-12-2014, 02:24 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers1523 View Post
Some women are definitely funny. Just the majority of funny people in life are men.

I think it goes back to being a little kid. The cool kids who got girls and had friends were funny (and good at sports). So that's what men strive to be until it's engrained in them
It might be that, but I get the sense that a lot of guys like you don't seek out funny women. If you think women are inherently boring, or if you think "chick stuff" isn't for you, then you're not going to watch Garfunkle and Oates songs or Maria Bamford clips on YouTube. You're not going to read Caitlin Moran or Helen Fielding or Nora Ephron or Fran Liebowitz. You're not going to watch TV shows and movies produced and written by women with funny female characters. And you're probably not going to look for a woman in real life who can make you laugh with her wit, rather that one who laughs at your jokes and strokes your ego. It's a kind of entitlement that some guys have that they can just avoid paying attention to half the population unless it's about sex.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 08-12-2014 at 02:39 PM..

Old 08-12-2014, 02:35 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It might be that, but I get the sense that a lot of guys like you don't seek out funny women. If you think women are inherently boring, or if you think "chick stuff" isn't for you, then you're not going to watch Garfunkle and Oates songs or Maria Bamford clips on YouTube. You're not going to read Caitlin Moran or Helen Fielding or Nora Ephron. You're not going to watch TV shows and movies with funny women characters. It's a kind of entitlement that some guys have that they can just avoid paying attention to half the population unless it's about sex.
This. And you want sarcasm? Does anyone remember political commentator Molly Ivins? Being from Texas, she could really do a number on "Dubya"! Presidential candidate Pat Schroeder was hilarious. She invented the term "Teflon-coated President" to describe Ronald Reagan (who was able to shake off numerous scandals), among other wry quips.

I'd also add that if the OP finds women boring or not humorous, why continue seeking out that type of woman? Look at the kinds of choices you're making, and make different choices.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:18 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7izJggqCoA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology