Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 09:07 AM

192 posts, read 270,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
What looks like "successful" to you on their outside, is not the same as they feel on the inside....you don't know him and his struggles.
Richard Cory
by the American poet
Edwin Arlington Robinson, 1897

Whenever Richard Cory went downtown,
We people on the pavement looked at him:
He was a gentleman from sole to crown,
Clean-favored, and imperially slim.

And he was always quietly arrayed,
And he was always human when he talked;
But still he fluttered pulses when he said,
"Good-morning," and he glittered when he walked.

And he was rich – yes, richer than a king –
And admirably schooled in every grace:
In fine, we thought that he was everything
To make us wish that we were in his place.

So on we worked, and waited for the light,
And went without the meat, and cursed the bread;
And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,
Went home and put a bullet through his head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 09:07 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,464,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robdreamz View Post
It masks the pain they are feeling and many people walk around not knowing they are "clinically" depressed! What is sad is that many people who are depressed don't seek help or just deny that something is wrong with them.
They don't want to be called "crazy"! Can you imagine being a Hollywood actor and seeking "psychiatric" help?
Your career is basically over!
To Mister Robin Williams we enjoyed your 63 years here on Earth for making us smile.
The thing is, some do seek help, but even then, some aren't able to quell the pain, and whatever program is subscribed whether working or not sometimes they go off it thinking they can work it alone and in that interim anything may happen for the worse. It is a disease that requires a life time of treatment like some other diseases do. Not all depressions are this way, but some are. I don't know Mr Robins medical history, what his past treatment plans were or were not, so, I really can't say what happened, just that I do empathize and recognize there's more to it than to just think he gave up plan and simple for reasons so many others want to speculate about.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:11 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
[Why do successful people commit suicide?]

As I've said many times, Hollywood is "fantasy". Those people are actors and what you see on TV and in the Movies is fantasy and acting - you are not seeing the real person!

So the actors in real life might be quite different.

Also when you see the actors in the news going here and there - arriving at the big awards bash - driving up in the big limo or a fancy car... Well some of those people have been out of work for awhile and the car is rented. They may be having trouble paying the electric bill. It is all a "show"!

You can even rent a Rolls Royce in Hollywood - at Budget rent a car!

Places to Rent the Car of Your Dreams - Los Angeles Times
You aren't saying anything all of us don't already know and you can rent those cars anywhere not just in LA.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:54 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarberryPl View Post
It makes sense to me.

Many years ago, I read an interview where Robin Williams said he was very lonely as a child. He comes from a very wealthy family and was raised by his nanny. He was an only child and was neglected by his parents. If I remember correctly, he said his parents traveled often; without him.

He said he created a whole fantasy life for himself to endure the extreme loneliness.
Interesting. Where was his nanny? It was her job to provide companionship. People in situations like that usually bond with the nanny more than with the parents. It sounds like he was abandoned by his parents and by the nanny, both.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:17 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
he had a lot of money, nice houses, fame, etc, but with that comes great responsibility and great finances to have to pay that the little guy doesn't. also if you have evil ex-wives, that can do it right there.

Hardly, anyone mentions one of my fave movies - Patch Adams. I wonder if he was playing a bit of his true self in that movie.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:34 AM

218 posts, read 287,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Interesting. Where was his nanny? It was her job to provide companionship. People in situations like that usually bond with the nanny more than with the parents. It sounds like he was abandoned by his parents and by the nanny, both.
I'm not really sure of the extent of the involvement of the nanny. I can't recall what the article said about the nature of their relationship.

Growing up, I knew of a couple of families whose nannies were very strict and "dutiful." There wasn't a whole lot of comfort going on. I know quite a few parents who abide by the same philosophy. It's kind of sad, really.

While reading the article, I remember thinking of the irony of how an incredible gift was born out of despair. Who knows if he would have honed his fantastical imagination had he not had his particular childhood experience.

I wonder how many truly gifted people never get the opportunity to realize the depth of their gifts due to their circumstances, be them good or bad.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:07 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,237,303 times
Depression doesn't care if you are rich or famous. It overwhelms you and it's difficult to see things clearly. So sad for Mr. Williams and his family. So many suffer silently.

Old 08-12-2014, 01:35 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
It's easier to think that with fame, wealth, and status that you're set, but even those folks have issues to deal with too.

I was surprised to hear this news, as I enjoyed many of his movies and one of his standup comedy shows.

Old 08-12-2014, 02:47 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times
I think the cancelling of his most recent tv series is the thing that sent him over the edge. If you guys know, Robin had been in debt for the past several years. This tv show was suppose to be his comeback and upswing. Then they cancelled it after one season. I think he felt he would never be able to make what he used to and be on top again so he got into a depression and it killed him.

Old 08-12-2014, 02:47 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,057,151 times
I think his previous marriages had a lot to do with it. He lost a fortune do his ex-wives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology