Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 06:22 AM

15,964 posts, read 7,024,232 times

Advertisements

I have very few friends, and i enjoy meeting and being with people. But i don't quickly make deep friendships and i am ok with that although sometimes i do wish i had a circle of friends i have known for a long time. But we moved a lot and that was that.

But i know some people to whom friends is in capital letters. A breakup and misunderstanding is tragedy. They guard them jealously. They are dearer to them than family, even if they get along fine with family. They prioratize friends over family. They are despondent if they move to a new place and cannot make friends fast enough. They have fall outs which makes them miserable. Sometimes i wonder if they go to extreme lengths to please, and keep, friends like give them money, gifts, trips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 06:50 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,773,987 times
My step-sister is like that, her friends mean everything to her. She has a minimal relationship with her family. I will say that her friends are a little off center and all act about 16 yo...and,they are in their 60's...

Seems that she does not want the responsibility that comes with family relationships, she prefers her life to be all Ha Ha's.

I do have friends that date back over 40 years, we all live in different states, but we do get together yearly and talk on a regular basis. So, I do believe one can have both, family relationships and those with friends.

Don't really understand why some people put friends ahead of family, but, they do.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:33 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,844,539 times
I don't know. I have found in life that friends are temporary and generally situational. They make life more pleasant at times, but I don't place a high value on them. Family is permanent and they will always have your back.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:53 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I don't know. I have found in life that friends are temporary and generally situational. They make life more pleasant at times, but I don't place a high value on them. Family is permanent and they will always have your back.
I agree that your statement (bolded) is true for some; however, for some (including myself) we don't have healthy and strong family relationships - and therefore many times our friends are our family.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:57 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,453,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I have very few friends, and i enjoy meeting and being with people. But i don't quickly make deep friendships and i am ok with that although sometimes i do wish i had a circle of friends i have known for a long time. But we moved a lot and that was that.

But i know some people to whom friends is in capital letters. A breakup and misunderstanding is tragedy. They guard them jealously. They are dearer to them than family, even if they get along fine with family. They prioratize friends over family. They are despondent if they move to a new place and cannot make friends fast enough. They have fall outs which makes them miserable. Sometimes i wonder if they go to extreme lengths to please, and keep, friends like give them money, gifts, trips.
Not everyone is as strong and resilient as you are.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:09 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,828,036 times
Because they don't have family or a significant other, or their relationship stinks with those such people.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:42 AM

20 posts, read 26,278 times
It's human, we want/need contact.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:00 AM

15,964 posts, read 7,024,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Because they don't have family or a significant other, or their relationship stinks with those such people.
Sure, yes. But i am talking about people who are surrounded by family, spouse and kids, that is supportive and loving and they love them in return.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:38 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,468,049 times
Quality over quantity. I think that's a good thing. I think many people might say they have a bunch of friends but I think many of them are often just acquaintances. Nice people to hang around with, but not what I would define as true friends. I'd take one true friend over 100 acquaintances any day.

I think it also depends on how one is brought up. Our parents brought us up to be independent people. While of course we have friends/enjoy being with people, it's also nice to do independent things. I think some people are brought up in a way that's makes them very dependent on people all the time and I think that's unhealthy.

Family can be there for people as a positive but for some that's an unhealthy thing. Just because they are blood doesn't make it a positive relationship for many. As the old saying goes, you can choose your friends, but you can't choose your family.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:44 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,054,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Sure, yes. But i am talking about people who are surrounded by family, spouse and kids, that is supportive and loving and they love them in return.
For those people, maybe friends aren't as big of a priority.

For everyone else, it makes sense that they would be.

What else needs to be said?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology