Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 02:26 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,961,718 times

Advertisements

By now I am betting that the OP is wondering if the people here who are posting are the kids in question or their parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 03:42 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,082,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
School is full of enough hazards. Fear and social isolation shouldn't be one of them. If a child gets the message that bodily functions, which sometimes cannot be properly controlled, are unacceptable, wouldn't that cause a bit of anxiety? I wish these people knew what kind of neuroses they were inadvertently perpetuating for the others. It's not safe to pass gas in public; it's not safe to stutter or pronounce words wrong. It's not safe to look different; it's not safe to be at school.
Sounds like you need to relax. Maybe you're not suited to handle a class full of kids.

Old 09-13-2014, 04:24 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,580,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
Sounds like you need to relax. Maybe you're not suited to handle a class full of kids.
Maybe I do. Just because I took an issue with it as a child doesn't mean everyone did. Maybe it is more socially acceptable today than it was back then. It's still very annoying that they do it in the classroom, though. I think that is awful. Hmm, maybe I should start taking notes of the types of disruptions I'm experiencing and really try to pinpoint the problems I'm having. Perhaps I miss a few cues that the children are unhappy or something? Maybe the children do that every time they need to go to the bathroom when I won't let them, or maybe there is some kind of discernable pattern that I can figure out and change. Wow, these kids are smart! I sometimes wonder if I have the organizational skills and attention span for dealing with the classroom beast. Often, while I'm handling one fire, another one starts somewhere else. I guess that's when it's time to call administration.

Old 09-13-2014, 05:04 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,961,718 times
Quote:
Maybe I do. Just because I took an issue with it as a child doesn't mean everyone did. Maybe it is more socially acceptable today than it was back then. It's still very annoying that they do it in the classroom, though. I think that is awful. Hmm, maybe I should start taking notes of the types of disruptions I'm experiencing and really try to pinpoint the problems I'm having. Perhaps I miss a few cues that the children are unhappy or something? Maybe the children do that every time they need to go to the bathroom when I won't let them, or maybe there is some kind of discernable pattern that I can figure out and change. Wow, these kids are smart! I sometimes wonder if I have the organizational skills and attention span for dealing with the classroom beast. Often, while I'm handling one fire, another one starts somewhere else. I guess that's when it's time to call administration.
You're perfectly fine in feeling the way you do, just not a whole lot you can do about it. I know that when I was in school... Subs were in for a hard time.

Old 09-13-2014, 05:24 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,082,047 times
Quote:
Or maybe kids just think farts are funny.....

You're putting way too much thought into this.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:45 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
What a breath of fresh air!

My favorite fart fantasy thread is still up and running.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:01 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,580,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
Or maybe kids just think farts are funny.....

You're putting way too much thought into this.
Look, I remember, oh do I remember, what it was like at school when I was a child. It was practically Lord of the Flies when I was going to school. Any misstep was treated with severe hostility from the other children. If you forgot your deodorant, you heard about it from the students and teachers. If you accidently kicked a desk or got on anyone's nerves for any reason, you were singled out and tortured. The teachers did not regulate interactions enough to really protect you. Unsupervised playtime, like recess, was a free-for-all for bullies. The only ones who got in trouble were the ones who tried to defend themselves in an obvious manner. It was fairly easy to become an outcast and any kind of misstep made it even more likely. If I would have had to endure that for much longer after graduating high school, it's possible I would have taken my own life. I'm so happy I'm not a child anymore!

Old 09-13-2014, 09:41 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
I am 68 years old. The day when I can no longer enjoy juvenile silly humor is the day I am through living.

Lighten up. The more they see it gets to you, the funnier it is to them.

The greatest loss of control you are experience in you classroom is that you let silliness make you angry.

Don in Austin
This

Old 09-13-2014, 09:44 PM

What if you smile and say
"I too found flatulance very funny, when I was 4 years old"

Old 09-13-2014, 09:46 PM

kids definitely try hard to annoy the teachers that they think are easy prey..
Are there other job oppportunities if this one is miserable for you ??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology