Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 09:18 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,714,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
They do this because they are distracted and lost in their own little world. Possibly not meaning to be rude, they just go off in their world and dont even notice anyone or anything else.. they're concentrating on "which product has least carbos, or which one of these items has the right amount of calories, or where can i find that spice i need or what am i gonna do - my husband just left me - oh darn my mother in law is coming now i have to bake a potroast, oh man what am i gonna do about paying that bill? etc. etc..

So now you encounter a cart, all you have to do is take your cart and push it over a bit, or take your hand and push it over a bit.. there you go! problem solved.

oh and the kids with the cell phone - totally lost in their world.. better hope you dont get one driving in front of you or behind you. THAT is what you have to worry about!

Yesterday i was crossing the intersection driving, and stupid kids on their cell phone looking down were about to cross the street, almost in front of my car. Good thing for them I'm a defensive driver. Stupid stupid people crossing the street not seeing the car about to hit them. Oh i had the light and the right to go.. but i saw these 3 teens about to leave the curb into the street, and they could have gotten hit if i had not seen them. they were looking down on their cell phones all the time. one did happen to look up at me at the very last minute. they had that stupid deer in the headlights look like they just woke up.
If they survive the traffic, those teens are going to get a few years older, and they will be taking up 3 parking spaces, parking their cart in the middle of the shopping aisle, 20 ft away, while they send their friends pics of the fat lady in spandex.

It's basically all the same. Are you socially irresponsible or socially responsible? Age has nothing to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 08:10 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,216,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I dont think its being selfish, to me its anti social and ignorant not to show manners and consider others..
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
.......but it's more likely just self-centered behavior and being oblivious to anything and anyone else but their own concerns.
How to Handle Annoying Behavior of Self-Centered Absorbed People
In that article is this link below which describes the behavior of so many people whether they are in
a store or are a friend, relative, acquaintance, coworker, a representative of any business (either public
or private) - in other words, these selfish and toxic people are everywhere.

click on SYMPTOMS (attached it that way but it goes to the definition page).
https://www.psychologytoday.com/cond...ality-disorder

Old 02-15-2015, 08:26 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,585,291 times
So consider this. If we expect others to behave in a way that is acceptable and convenient to us, and call them selfish for not doing so... does that not make us just as selfish?

Old 02-15-2015, 08:36 AM

1,400 posts, read 760,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah_Bellum View Post
I was at a thrift store and a woman there had her cart blocking an entire bookcase of stuff while she was looking for something else. I wanted to see if she would move it so I pretended to try and get something off the blocked shelf, she saw me and did not move. I had to leave anyway but it got me thinking why are people so selfish? I always go out of my way to be polite.
Have some mercy. She may have just come from her mothers' funeral.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:39 AM

18,522 posts, read 18,709,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy739 View Post
Have some mercy. She may have just come from her mothers' funeral.
oh dear thats pushing it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology