Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 08:42 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,860,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Definitely not as far off as it sounds. Matrimania is still pretty common in our culture. You know why, right? The whole wedding industry makes a killing off of everybody's dream of happily ever after. And who can they manipulate worse than women, who grew up watching Disney movies and reading romance novels.
Dude, romance novels are for adult women, not kids growing up. Don't hang out with airheads and you won't run into those types.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 08:46 PM

663 posts, read 777,746 times
Women are pressured to "need a guy" by age 30.

One chick I know really desperately wants to get married and she is 30. Another chick who is friends with my ex, always annoys her with lamenting how she can't find a guy.

Of course, they won't ever admit it openly.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:31 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,053,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonyT View Post
I think it's taboo in today's society for a woman (or anyone, really) to imply that a man has any intrinsic worth whatsoever, related to his being a man. Women get cheered on for being women (Grrrrl Power!), while men are expected to actually -- shocker -- have some sort of skill or talent, separate and apart from being men.
I think men are awesome just for being men. Go you!

Old 10-19-2014, 09:44 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,412,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
It seems as though society doesn't shame men who say that "they need a woman" but women who say "I need a man" seem to get ridiculed and look down on for saying that.
I think it's taboo for anyone to say they solely need another person in order to be happy in life.

To a certain extent, we as humans need each other for survival.

To say we need someone to complete us not only screams desperate, it's also saying, "I can't live without a man/woman in my life." Sure you can.

We all eventually die anyway. Spouses who have been married together and reached their silver anniversaries end up finding that one spouse eventually passes away, and the other one is left alone, again once more. Some people stay married for over 50 yrs and feel lonelier than ever.

To say we need someone to complete us is ridiculous. To say we want to share our lives with someone is more reasonable. You're coming from a place of want, not need. When people make decisions based on needs, not only are they becoming irrational, their judgment becomes skewed and distorted, they lose a whole chunk of who they are as individuals.. that part is taboo. Once you lose yourself or lose your own clarity and perspective on life, what else do you really have??

Old 10-20-2014, 01:39 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Besides, where would women be without men to build the buildings, drill the oil wells, design and build the cars, the roads, the power plants and the houses.

Well,women CAN build buildings and cars too!

Are you trolling?

You think all single people are sad AND worse off than married couples?

I guess the wife with a husband that swindled $$$$ millions from her is better off that the single lady who travels the world!

Old 10-20-2014, 04:55 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,318,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
perhaps it's a taboo in the countries obsessed with feminism: us, sweden and all the cold countries...including uk and germany, belgium etc.
You are very prejudiced.
I don´t know anyone who is afraid to say they need a man.
Some of my female friends can even say that they are horny and need a good f***.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:19 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
He doesn't "need" a woman for companionship... he "wants a woman for companionship." He won't die if he doesn't have a woman... his life isn't over. But he feels it will be better fulfilled by a woman and that's what he wants... not needs. A dog can be a companion, a friend, a cousin, etc.

I think this isn't what you are getting... needs /= wants. It's bad for anyone to "need" anyone else save a child needs its parents to live. Adults shouldn't be codependent.
And a woman saying that she wants a man in her life but doesn't need one isn't the same as her hating men, as the OP is trying to argue.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:38 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,422,866 times
No matter what you say, someone somewhere will be offended these days. You cant even express your opinion without someone attacking it and calling you small minded. I think people are confusing "small minded" with "a difference in opinion."

Old 10-20-2014, 08:26 AM

Before we continue, can we define the word NEED then?

Because from the posters here, I guess no one NEEDS anything in life except food, water, and air.

Do you NEED a car? Not really.

Do you NEED a vacation? Not really.

Do you NEED friends? Not really. You can live without them. It would be nice to have.

Do you NEED family? Not really. You can live without them. IT would be nice to have.

Do you NEED a man/woman? Not really. You can with without them.

Do you NEED a job? Not really. People can live by planting and harvesting their food like the old days.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:34 AM

For the people who say they don't NEED a man or woman, let me ask you this:

Do you need your family/friends?

Would you ever say, I don't need my mom right now, although she is nice to have. I won't die if my mom isn't here. She doesn't provide me with oxygen..

I don't need my best friend, although she is nice to have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology