Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2014, 08:24 AM

1,381 posts, read 1,774,367 times

Advertisements

I posted this thread on the Relationships forum by mistake-- I was meaning to post it here all long. Not sure where it should go...

Let me preface this by saying I am introverted and that anxiety runs in the family.

Ever since I was little, I have dreaded unfamiliar stimuli and novel situations. I believe psychologists have coined the term "high reactive" to describe people like me.

Here are a few examples:
-Over the years, I couldn't sleep the night before the first day of school (and still have trouble doing so the night before the first day at a new job)
- I do whatever possible to avoid having to travel too far from home. I have this phobia about traveling alone and getting lost in a big city or unfamiliar town. I even feel uncomfortable about taking highways that lead me too far from the areas with which I'm most familiar.
- I had never even been on a plane before this year. I only traveled out of town because it was for my honeymoon. Because I was with my wife, it wasn't so bad.

I've noticed myself with frayed nerves of late because of all the stimulation in my life this year (wedding, buying a car, long search for a condo, personal and family issues, etc.) It's as if everything has assailed me at once.

I guess that up until the wedding I'd enjoyed a slower-paced life with fewer things to worry about. Now I just feel like a ball of nerves, always worrying about stuff, my leg or eye twitching like crazy.

Anyone else here a worry wart who suffers from anxiety and/or is introverted? How did or can you cope with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 08:51 AM

830 posts, read 1,666,371 times
"Now I just feel like a ball of nerves, always worrying about stuff, my leg or eye twitching like crazy."

This part jumps out at me. That is no way to live! You should seek professional help; remember doing so doesn't mean you "can't cope" it's that someone has to show you a different way--they support you with advice and you do the work. You didn't mention how this is affecting your new marriage, but your increased anxiety is going to cause more problems and she might not understand (maybe even feel responsible). Marriage is starting a family--yes she is an adult but regardless, life's not just about you anymore. Take care of yourself. I say all this because I went through similar issues when I got married and I could have avoided a lot of trouble if I had reached out to someone who could help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology