Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 08:34 AM

50,789 posts, read 36,486,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Thank you all for giving me advice. I've gotten tested for ADD, but, again, I haven't gotten the results.
This doesn't make any sense, it's not like you have to wait for lab tests to come back or anything, there are no definitive tests. They test you by asking you specific questions. When I was diagnosed he told me after he was done questioning me, there is no "waiting for results". What exactly are you waiting for and from whom? Again, what is it you focus on in your counseling? When he asked what you were there for, what did you answer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 08:37 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,580,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
This doesn't make any sense, it's not like you have to wait for lab test results. When I was diagnosed he told me after he was done questioning me, there is no "waiting for results". What exactly are you waiting for and from whom? Again, what is it you focus on in your counseling? When he asked what you were there for, what did you answer?
I went to a psychology training clinic and was tested by students who are supervised by a professional. I took a battery of tests for a variety of different learning disabilities, as well as Autism Spectrum Disorder. After I finished, I was told that I would know my results in a few weeks. I guess the students have to review everything with their supervisors before they know what to tell me.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:44 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Quote:
I went to a psychology training clinic and was tested by students who are supervised by a professional. I took a battery of tests for a variety of different learning disabilities, as well as Autism Spectrum Disorder. After I finished, I was told that I would know my results in a few weeks.
When I had my initial diagnosis a team met to discuss the results and it took a while to get a full evaluation. It definitely could take a few weeks, particularly if you were tested for multiple things.

When my doctor re-evaluated me a few weeks ago, she just gave me a form with questions that had me rate my symptoms. The results there were instant.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
I went to a psychology training clinic and was tested by students who are supervised by a professional. I took a battery of tests for a variety of different learning disabilities, as well as Autism Spectrum Disorder. After I finished, I was told that I would know my results in a few weeks. I guess the students have to review everything with their supervisors before they know what to tell me.
And what does your counselor say? Surely he has noticed flaws in your communication skills and ability to relate? Again don't want to be a pest, but what did you tell him you were there to get help with?

I want to add, it doesn't matter a huge amount if you do or don't have ADD or Asperger's, whether you do or don't. it still requires you to take some big leaps to overcome these issues. Again I am not convinced you're really ready to make those leaps, but I hope you will be soon.

Old 10-26-2014, 03:37 PM

My counselor recommended I do what makes me happy and try to get out and meet new people, at least that's what I got from it.

Old 10-26-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
My counselor recommended I do what makes me happy and try to get out and meet new people, at least that's what I got from it.
Either you need a new counselor or you haven't been honest about your issues. Again, what did you tell him you were there to get help with, specifically? What do YOU consider you were going for? Does he know that the therapy thus far is not addressing your problems, or are you just passively letting him lead you? and not telling him what you need therapy to focus on?

Old 10-26-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Either you need a new counselor or you haven't been honest about your issues. Again, what did you tell him you were there to get help with, specifically? What do YOU consider you were going for? Does he know that the therapy thus far is not addressing your problems, or are you just passively letting him lead you? and not telling him what you need therapy to focus on?
I'm not really explaining what I need therapy to focus on. My thought is that the professional knows more than I do. I guess I will keep all of this in mind, though, the next time I see the counselor.

Old 10-26-2014, 06:49 PM

948 posts, read 921,499 times
Counselors are not mind readers. You'll get more advice from them if you tell them as much about yourself as you can.

Old 10-26-2014, 06:55 PM

948 posts, read 921,499 times
It can be hard to tell some things to a therapist though. I used to have trouble with that when I was younger.

When I had to speak in front of the PTA, my psychiatrist gave me some drugs to take that day to make it easier to speak before an audience. Maybe they should give pills like that to certain patients before their appointments, so patients can tell doctors more about themselves.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:32 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,721,626 times
Hmmm I know exactly how you feel.

You feel like you don't belong, nobody knows who you are, no one notices you, feel like you don't matter, etc. I know how that feels. I was picked on a lot in school as well. When I wasn't being picked on I was ignored and most people didn't really seem to care to get to know me. I was just another one of those people and a number to everyone. Things are a little better now that I am older, and a lot of people find me very attractive now or whatever, but it goes in on in ear and out the other.

In my age group, I am very different from most people. While most folks my age (21) are out partying and with their bfs/gfs, I am in college, writing, drawing, playing video games, and I am pretty much a recluse. I became very depressed and confused when I was about 18. I decided to try to become more confident and not really worry about anyone else. Like you, I have trouble connecting with people. I believe the way things went with people damaged my ability to really feel a connection.

I think about this everyday. I can interact easily but walk away with almost nothing coming out of it. I am very pessimistic and view everyone with same "oh just another person I happened to run into." People come in and out of our lives, and I really have an issue with comparing myself to others. I have always felt left behind and lonely. It's an awful feeling, but I am working on trying to change that.

The only person that can really change how you feel is you, you can't be so dependent on what other people think of you. It will never bring you happiness. Try to do things that make you feel happy. Forget about trying to be on top and being the person everyone looks up to. It's probably not all it's cracked up to be. I know it can be hard to do that when it seems like no one is on your side. It's apart of being independent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology