Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 03:03 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,162,696 times

Advertisements

I don't think it has anything to do with her being wealthy. I think it's a normal human reaction to disbelieve someone you trust is doing something like that, especially when the information is coming from an outsider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 11:25 AM

4,038 posts, read 4,862,808 times
I think the OP did the right thing, the only thing his/her conscience allowed. The question is, where to go from here? It looks like the OP has hit a dead end, and may have to live with that.

Here's a long shot: try reporting the thief to the IRS for tax evasion. If they start scrutinizing his bank account, something may turn up. It would help if you knew where he does his banking.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:30 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by november4 View Post
I used to work for a very wealthy woman who owns an contemporary art gallery and two antique galleries.
I helped run the art gallery for some years. She is a smart woman, retired physician who loves art.
She hired a 'business partner' quickly after starting her business. He is around her age, charismatic with a loud personality. Their personalities are completely opposite. She is passive, shy and mild-mannered.

A co-worker of mine who worked at another shop (the antiques) found out this 'business partner' is stealing from her. Little by little we found evidence that he is indeed stealing from her. And we found out he has no credentials like he stated in his resume. She (the co-worker) presented this evidence to our boss but turned the other way. So she did not fire him and didn't even believe us. We were stunned. The co-worker phoned her children, who are grown and living in another state, to tell her what she found and the children also told her to basically 'mind her business.' My reaction to this was . I couldn't believe it. My thinking is that the reason why our boss and her children acted indifferent is because they come from money and losing a little money means nothing to them. They hate confrontation and negativity so to avoid that they just ignore it. But why? To me this sounds foreign and bizarre. Any idea why people are like this? I wonder if this is connected to very wealthy people?
(Though at first when she presented the evidence of him stealing our boss was stunned and did react with disappointment but quickly forgave him.)

None of your business so stay out of it.
Her shop, her money, her decision alone what to do and it really isn't any of your concern why your boss and her children act the way they do.
If you get paid for doing your job which is what you get paid to do then do your job and tend to your own life and stay out of theirs and their business.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:02 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,134,329 times
Quote:
I used to work for a very wealthy woman who owns an contemporary art gallery and two antique galleries.
I helped run the art gallery for some years. She is a smart woman, retired physician who loves art.
She hired a 'business partner' quickly after starting her business. He is around her age, charismatic with a loud personality. Their personalities are completely opposite. She is passive, shy and mild-mannered.

A co-worker of mine who worked at another shop (the antiques) found out this 'business partner' is stealing from her. Little by little we found evidence that he is indeed stealing from her. And we found out he has no credentials like he stated in his resume. She (the co-worker) presented this evidence to our boss but turned the other way. So she did not fire him and didn't even believe us. We were stunned. The co-worker phoned her children, who are grown and living in another state, to tell her what she found and the children also told her to basically 'mind her business.' My reaction to this was . I couldn't believe it. My thinking is that the reason why our boss and her children acted indifferent is because they come from money and losing a little money means nothing to them. They hate confrontation and negativity so to avoid that they just ignore it. But why? To me this sounds foreign and bizarre. Any idea why people are like this? I wonder if this is connected to very wealthy people?
(Though at first when she presented the evidence of him stealing our boss was stunned and did react with disappointment but quickly forgave him.)
Maybe she likes him (not necessarily in a romantic way, it could be ANY way). And keeping him around is better than losing a little money. She may find a way to justify his actions in her head so that she wouldn't have to feel betrayed by him. And so that she could still be happy to have him around.

This is weird to me, but even before I read until the end and really knew what was going on, the thought that she liked him (in some way) kept going through my mind.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:15 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,394,006 times
Quote:

IT'S A TRAP!!!

Let her be. Your coworker already told her. No point to go there again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F4qzPbcFiA

Old 01-21-2015, 07:20 PM

87 posts, read 92,764 times
sit down and shut up.

be grateful she does not fire you.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology