Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 06:27 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,575,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastern district View Post
The statistic that I have always seen thrown about is like 10% but something tells me it is higher. I am in a long-term committed relationship with a woman but fooled around with about five guys between ages 13 and 17 (helped to go to an all male boarding school).

My activity was pretty light (fondling, touching, jerking off, and, once, oral sex). I never really felt the need or desire to take it any further. It never really seemed like a gay thing as much as a way to just release sexual energy in an environment where there were no girls around. It was all just kind of "play" more than anything else and it was definitely happening, though perhaps not widespread, at my school. As I got older and met girls, it was clear my attraction was much greater toward them and my interest in guys faded away.

15 years on I feel lucky to have had these experiences. A few times, my guy friends have kind of suggested they were interested, or just curious in some abstract way, about what it would be like to be with another guy. I realize unrequited sexual interest/curiosity of any sort is an incredibly strong force within us and this would be a pretty powerful/aggravating question to walk around with in your adulthood.

So I'm curious about how common same sex experimentation is. I realize it would be impossible to ever have hard statistics on this sort of thing but I do wonder...
I don't know but if you broaden the base of your question a bit, it is quite a substantial fraction, based on

Kinsey Reports - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 07:08 PM

20,326 posts, read 19,912,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
The truth about "straight" guys is when they have struck out at the local bar late at night, then gone to a friends house - and that friend starts running his hand up the guys leg - not very many say no at that point! (The straight guy just lets the other guy "do him" - does not reciprocate any.)
............."Straight" to bed as they say! (And yes most of them also fooled around with each other in high school - perfectly normal. But not many will admit it.)

"The truth" about straight guys? In your dreams maybe.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:17 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,451,998 times
I'd say about 8% at the most.

There's 3 types of guys that have sexual experiences with other guys.

1. Gay guys
2. Bi guys
3. "Str8" guys in denial

Bicurosity is a legit thing when you're young and hormonal, but I wouldn't call a 21 year old guy having sex with another man "bicurious."

Old 10-28-2014, 07:56 PM

723 posts, read 868,265 times
I haven't and I would be totally shocked to find out that any of my male friends had.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:39 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,507 times
I can look at a person of the same sex and acknowledge that they are "attractive." However, there's a huge chasm between recognizing their attractiveness and having thoughts, dreams or desires to engage in sexual activities with said person.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:35 PM

11,651 posts, read 12,943,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
A straight guy could be [bleep] (Sorry for graphic terms here, but..) by a beast of a woman that they're not attracted to at all.. Close their eyes and fantasize that it's their dream girl.. And so long as she don't have dagger teeth on her.. I think most guys could find a happy place and complete.

So.. With that in mind.. Shouldn't it be just as easy if it was a dude performing the service for a guy to close his eyes and trick his mind? Again.. I've never tested that theory, but.. Certainly seems possible.
I'm not against that possibility. Like I said, everyone is different. It depends on the individual.

For some people a handjob is just 'easy masturbation' - You're not going to strain yourself by playing with your penis. So it's an advantage if someone (male or female) does it to you, just as long as you get off. I, personally, am visual and connective. If you're gonna touch me I have to be attracted, and emotionally attached, to you.

Again, I'm sure that my uncle-in-law was fantasizing about the opposite sex and was in no way into the guy who gave him the handjob. The hands were just an inanimate 'sex toy' for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
What's that got to do with experimentation? Chances are you did it just to hide your gayness. The teenaged guys that this topic is about never get pressured into screwing around with other guys.
As a gay guy I haven't even touched another man yet (I live in a bible/religious belt here, no one is that open).

Sure, society would pressure us to be with chicks. That's a good reason to hook up with a girl. However, I have genuinely been slightly aroused by some ladies, especially in high school (blame hormones). But I was never fulfilled. Look, I can experiment with a girl, if she's into it and all.

And no, society isn't influencing me personally - I actually did feel slight attraction. Vaginas are not bad, never were - I'm not grossed out by them in any sense. Remember, a good amount of gay men have slept with women (many have married women). Oh, not to mention, a good dose of gay men who say vaginas are "gross", blah, blah, are just trying to pull your leg.

With that being said I am still 100% gay. I am mentally, romantically and sexually attracted to men only.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-07-2018 at 10:31 PM..

Old 10-28-2014, 11:37 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,914,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Ever go to a party when you were in high school? Girls are doing each other left and right... but they're doing it for the show...
Wow, I should have gone to high school more recently. They used to do it (as did boys and girls) *after* the party...

Old 10-29-2014, 12:13 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,941,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
I have a buddy I went to school with, he got married with kids but is now gay, but he told me of a few guys in high school he had sex with, one of them was a guy who worked for my dad.
Correction: He got married and had kids even though he was gay all along.

Old 10-29-2014, 12:33 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,941,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdevan View Post
Personally I think it's a lot lower. The media tries to state that 30% of the population is gay.
Huh? Where is the media trying to state that? I have never seen such a thing.

Old 10-29-2014, 04:48 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,296,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I'd say about 8% at the most.

There's 3 types of guys that have sexual experiences with other guys.

1. Gay guys
2. Bi guys
3. "Str8" guys in denial

Bicurosity is a legit thing when you're young and hormonal, but I wouldn't call a 21 year old guy having sex with another man "bicurious."
As I read through this thread I wonder just how much of this is confined to the teen years. I can remember reading an article a few years back where some reporter went under-cover and frequented places known for man on man sex, bathhouses, mall restrooms, parks etc and was astonished as to the amount of self identified hetero married men that frequented those sorta places. I also remember a particular Ballys Fitness Center that had a steam-room in the mens locker-room and the amount of guys playing around as there wives were upstairs working out. A good friend of mine who is a regional manager of LA Fitness that bought out Ballys told me this is the very reason they closed down the steam-rooms. Currently steam-rooms in public gyms are pretty much non-existent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology