Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 07:23 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,229,904 times

Advertisements

I have to admit I'm cautious and sometimes nervous if I have to walk by a group of young male adults. Even driving and stopped at a red light with a carful of young males next to me makes me leery. It has nothing to do with race, more of an age thing. Older groups of adult males like 40+ I feel totally comfortable with, and I never worry if there's a group of young females either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 11:14 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,390,324 times
It makes sense. Young males are about the physical peak of humanity (minus Sylvester Stallone), they can do the most damage. They are also quite far from the mental peak, so they are also inclined to do the most damage.

Old 10-31-2014, 11:48 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,349 times
Whenever I am going for a walk at night and I see a group of young men, it honestly kind of freaks me out. Probably a holdover from having to beat them up/getting beaten up by them all the time throughout middle and high school. I always carry my keys so they stick out from between my fingers, just in case I need to give someone a knuckle sandwich with a little extra oomph.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:06 AM

2,234 posts, read 2,404,546 times
Are you serious? I think everyone is being very paranoid... It doesn't bother me at all to walk past a group of young males and I'm a small female.

Old 11-01-2014, 11:40 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,979,061 times
^Context matters.

Old 11-01-2014, 11:49 AM

4,187 posts, read 5,159,122 times
In an urban environment, especially on public transport or in an area with high crime statistics, yes I will be wary. Especially if it seems like they have been drinking.

Old 11-01-2014, 12:17 PM

24,483 posts, read 17,226,594 times
It is common sense to be leery of any situation that might put you in danger. If your inner voice is telling you "heads up" you should listen. Young men in a group tend ot get stupid and it just takes one to start something trying to prove how tough he is to his friends to really screw up your day.
Black, white any race it doesn't matter , be careful.

Old 11-01-2014, 12:29 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,317,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
I have to admit I'm cautious and sometimes nervous if I have to walk by a group of young male adults. Even driving and stopped at a red light with a carful of young males next to me makes me leery. It has nothing to do with race, more of an age thing. Older groups of adult males like 40+ I feel totally comfortable with, and I never worry if there's a group of young females either.
I tend to feel more antagonistic when around groups of young males because I automatically assume they will act like fools or be disrespectful towards me or others in the vicinity. I realize I am prejudiced in that regard, and I should not automatically pre-judge. But in my own experiences, 8.5 times out of 10 it's always the youngish people ( male or female) that cause the most disruptions, that act in the most disrespectful, uncourteous, arrogant ways. And when I'm around those types, I don't go out of my way to be nice.

I just turned 40, and the older I get, the more bothered I am by those behaviors. And even when I was 18, 19, 20 -- I disliked many of my peers for their poor behaviors. I always preferred hanging around middle-aged or older people; I got along great with older people. The same is true now.

Old 11-01-2014, 12:35 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,695,348 times
I try hard to avoid violence of any kind. In review of many cases of public violence a group of young males would be high on the situational awareness list, like a yellow alert. It appears our society is failing our young males.

Old 11-01-2014, 01:22 PM

22,471 posts, read 11,995,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Are you serious? I think everyone is being very paranoid... It doesn't bother me at all to walk past a group of young males and I'm a small female.
No, it's not being paranoid.

I've found that many people are afraid of being called "racists" or "bigots" or being laughed at and told that they are paranoid so they ignore it when their gut is telling them to cross the street or duck into an open business. So instead of listening to their gut, they put themselves in a dangerous situation.

Wherever I go, I make it a point to be aware of my surroundings. If I'm near anyone who makes me feel uncomfortable, I do what I can to remove myself from the situation.

And, yes, a group of young males---no matter their race---does make me more cautious and vigilant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology