Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 08:43 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,200,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
You have many issues with your parents, overbearing father, mother who plays the martyr. And you're 22, you're going through that moving away from your family and developing your own persona period. You're also first generation immigrant which brings its own set of challenges. You could talk to a therapist about your upbringing but I think the best thing to do is limit your family time and start living your own life as you see fit.
Its been a month since I've talked with dad. I only communicate with mom now, who lives alone. I don't want to know what happened between mom and dad because it would only stress me out further. However, they are both willing to fund my education, and I respect them for that generosity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 10:07 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,309,203 times
Most people go crazy when they lock themselves up in an apartment for 2 days straight.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:44 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,393,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I always have this feeling of desperation, and I keep wondering why ? I am a very lonely person in general, but go crazy when locked up inside my apartment for 2 days straight. Why is that, and what triggers such responses ?
Get a dog...try to get a hobbie or just go out by yourself.

Spirituality also helps.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:41 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,734,422 times
Quote:
Its been a month since I've talked with dad. I only communicate with mom now, who lives alone. I don't want to know what happened between mom and dad because it would only stress me out further. However, they are both willing to fund my education, and I respect them for that generosity.
Erik Erikson | Psychosocial Stages | Simply Psychology

Erickson talks about psychosocial stages, you're in the Intimacy vs Isolation stage. Everything you're going through is normal psychosocial development. You will continue to work through this period. Get out and meet people, do some fun stuff along with your studies. Try to keep in mind this is a very freeing time in your life where you really start developing your own likes and dislikes, where the foundation can be laid for lifelong friendships.

Almost everyone feels desperate and unsure of themselves at 22, you're not the only one.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:18 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,247,048 times
Boredom is caused by not having anything to do that seems worth the bother. Loneliness is caused by not having anyone to bother when you're bored.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:32 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
I married twice and my second mate did not like being alone. Had I decided to marry a third, I would have made certain he was happy with his own company and didn't mind being alone.

I'm happy with being alone although I also enjoy being around others. I'm never bored. When I was growing up I once commented I was bored and my mother said it was up to me not to be bored, that if it happened again, she would find something for me to do. I made sure to keep myself entertained. It helps a lot to appreciate books and reading.

When there was a commercial on TV, my second mate was ready to be entertained until the regular program began again. If I was reading, I had to stop and participate in whatever was afoot. Otherwise, he would beat on the chair arms and make noises to attract my attention. He was bored and I was supposed to jump into action.

A woman once told me she didn't know what she would do without her husband because she couldn't bear being alone. Now that's a very sad state of being.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:58 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,412,091 times
Quote:
I always have this feeling of desperation, and I keep wondering why ? I am a very lonely person in general, but go crazy when locked up inside my apartment for 2 days straight. Why is that, and what triggers such responses ?
Sounds like you desire connection, and your parents not communicating along with your not reaching out seems to reflect your inner conflict within your own family.

And, it's normal for people to want and need to feel heard, understood, validated.. Sounds like also you come from a family that doesn't always encourage for that expression and open communication.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:11 PM

919 posts, read 847,880 times
It's normal to crave social interaction. Just part of being human.
Not my place, but -instead of hanging out on these fora, go for a walk or a movie or buy some stuff you need or don't need at the mall. Let people dismiss it as Retail Therapy or whatever. If it works, do it.
Locking yourself for two days in the apartment is not going to cure your loneliness. (Yes I am trying to win the "most obvious comment" prize on CD forums.)

Old 11-03-2014, 02:19 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,408,008 times
get you a part time job in retail or something where you interact with people

there should be a mix of male and female for you to connect with

you seem to be into fashion and stuff so maybe a department store

those lil cell phone kiosks in the mall you can get in on one of those and you can holler at "women" all day

Old 11-03-2014, 04:35 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Try reading a book called "A New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle.

It doesn't address your query directly, but indirectly. It's all about gaining a "present moment" awareness. That might help take you out of your "head" a little.

It can be an interesting read for you. Some of the ideas and concepts he presents didn't sink in on the first read. I've read it a couple of times now and get a little something new or different from each read.

Don't beat yourself up so much... this is coming from a man who is double your age and I still struggle a lot of the time.

Life is hard enough as it is... don't pile on more than you need to.

I think the first four words sufffice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology