Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 09:24 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times

Advertisements

I question a little bit SAD symptoms for people residing at very low latitudes as no area of the US (other than Alaska) is situated at more pronounced northern latitude or comparable to anything in northern Europe. I am most comfortable dealing with the sun angle between 43-48N latitude. Yes, this time of year with DST ending is a bit bothersome, but it takes me about 1-2 weeks to fully adjust. Most people are Vitamin D deficient, so take the maximum recommended amount per day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 10:08 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
I don't care for it, but the plus is it's not so hot as it was this summer.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:44 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,482,104 times
No, not the early sunsets by itself but the rapidly decreasing daylight hours. This is why I prefer winter to fall.. at least in winter, the amount of daylight rises with each passing day. And in summer, even though daylight hours are decreasing, they are already quite long to begin with so I don't really mind.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:19 AM

165 posts, read 194,420 times
It's not that it is just dark earlier, but it eventurally gets dark and cold that I don't care for. It's creepy when the winter wind blows in a clear, cold, starry sky and there is no snow on the ground.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:25 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,107,581 times
Yes! This is my least favorite time of the year. I leave work at 6 and I hate driving home and having all evening in the dark. Makes me feel sluggish and unhappy. I hate winter, so November is just blah for me knowing it's coming and gradually getting darker and colder. It seems like a long time until March and spring again.

Old 11-04-2014, 02:03 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,897,313 times
I like it, but I also love winter and fall and hate summer. I like to say I have "inverse SAD." Love when it's cold and the leaves are blowing around. I haven't even turned on my heat yet, and my indoor temp is 58 degrees. I'd rather just put on a big sweatshirt and snuggle under blankets. In the summer I feel sluggish and disgusted with the heat and humidity and just want to hibernate inside in the A/C.

I like watching the pretty sunset from my office window and leaving work when it's already dark. To me, it's better than having the setting sun low on the horizon when I'm driving home, with the sun in my eyes, and cars having to slow down because of the glare, or hitting each other because of the blinding sun.

Old 11-04-2014, 02:32 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I question a little bit SAD symptoms for people residing at very low latitudes as no area of the US (other than Alaska) is situated at more pronounced northern latitude or comparable to anything in northern Europe. I am most comfortable dealing with the sun angle between 43-48N latitude. Yes, this time of year with DST ending is a bit bothersome, but it takes me about 1-2 weeks to fully adjust. Most people are Vitamin D deficient, so take the maximum recommended amount per day.
It depresses me and I'm at about 39N. It even depressed me living in Southern California. Primarily because the sun sets at about 4:45 here in Denver (was about the same in the L.A. area, although in L.A., they have an earlier sunrise then Denver in winter).

You have to get pretty close to the Tropics before the daylight variation isn't really noticeable.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:28 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
It depresses me and I'm at about 39N. It even depressed me living in Southern California. Primarily because the sun sets at about 4:45 here in Denver (was about the same in the L.A. area, although in L.A., they have an earlier sunrise then Denver in winter).

You have to get pretty close to the Tropics before the daylight variation isn't really noticeable.
Quite often, sunrise and sunset times are dependent on where your geographical location is situated within the time zone itself. Places at the edges of time zones often get the short end of the stick. The big difference I notice about being the mid 40s latitude is that the sun loses its strength quite a bit faster during the Fall season compared to areas that are more than 5 degrees further south. It is all about the "solar declination angle," fancy term of the day.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:09 PM

378 posts, read 419,021 times
It may be a little scary, but it's fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology