Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2014, 08:19 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,752,036 times

Advertisements

I've noticed this. I am in a position at my job where I have access to all the complaint e-mails. I don't have to deal with all of them, and not every one is complaining, but I do see "I need this resolved ASAP", "This is always wrong", "Your company always does this" etc etc..

Since getting into this new position, I have noticed that I tend to do the same with the companies I deal with in my personal life. I've never done this before (just rather accepting an answer vs complaining, asking for a supervisor etc), Has this happened to anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 07:37 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,931,623 times
I think we've all been in situations like this...

For example... I used to work in restaurants growing up and things you see from customers on the back end or just random things you see in general make you change your views on stuff. I think I act differently in restaurants when I go to eat or do things differently because of the stuff I've seen on the back end.

I've also done janitorial work... and although it's that persons job to clean, I find myself making sure I clean up my messes or picking up loose trash on the ground out of courtesy.

Now look at your position... you realized yourself that YOU were actually THAT person... that very person that you now have to deal with on an everyday basis dealing with complaints. I bet it'll make you think twice now about making complaints on certain things that may not be worth complaining about, right?

Old 11-12-2014, 09:22 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,752,036 times
Nope, the opposite. I was fine until I saw "the other end" here at work, and then started complaining to companies that I use in my life more...

Kinda like the spouse who has a bad day at work, comes home and takes it out on their spouse and kids, I guess?

Old 11-12-2014, 10:09 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,931,623 times
Ah.. my apologies.. I read it wrong, but I was on the right track.. LOL.

I can see it from your point of view though... you probably also catch onto different things that you never would have thought and so you use your current experience with that job to your advantage.

Nothing wrong with that... I just hope you use it for valuable complaints rather than nit-picky ones that won't do you any good, LOL.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:42 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,412,091 times
I don't unless the employee is REALLY terrible like they slam people's groceries against the counter, then yeah, I'd complain directly to management in person. Otherwise, I let it slide. It's not like the company really does anything anyway.

On top of that, I don't want to be a PIA. Nobody likes to deal with another annoying PIA.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:35 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
I've worked around wealthy successful people for a good part of my life. And they all have one thing in common...

That is the ability to communicate well. Part of that is complaining about things which need fixing or are not right - they are very good at "communicating" that to service people and businesses they deal with. (They are also good at saying "good job!")

I think it is a good trait. (Note they are usually reasonable and courteous with their complaining, but will be persistent with complaints until the problem is resolved.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology