Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 01:09 AM

6,380 posts, read 6,270,742 times

Advertisements

It's funny that no one has ever asked me this. Funny because I DO remember everything for everyone automatically. And then I automatically remind others.

It sounds great but it's really a curse in the OCD realm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 08:29 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
You got a bigger issue here to deal with by continuing to have a relationship with your ex. Move on.
Not really a "big" issue. Lots of people break up and are still on good terms in just a friendly way. Besides we still co-parent our "children" (the furry kind). He just needs to adjust to the fact that even though a partner might have to remind you of your brother's birthday, a friend has no such duty.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:42 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
It's funny that no one has ever asked me this. Funny because I DO remember everything for everyone automatically. And then I automatically remind others.

It sounds great but it's really a curse in the OCD realm.
That was my husband. I never purposely made him responsible for my memory. He just automatically remembered everything and reminded me. I didn't realize how useful it was until his memory started becoming more like a normal person's with age. So, you do have that to look forward to someday.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:07 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,366,573 times
A friend of mine and I do this-but *not* in a "this is now your responsibility" sort of way.

For instance, I'll say "Remind me to ___", but I'll add "This is my way to remind *myself* about this-by saying it out loud to you"-
and she does the same with me.

It's like a game (in best sense of the word) where we keep mentioning the likely-to-be-forgotten-thing back & forth to each other.
Yet we each are only expected to keep in mind our own "things".

Just saying the item aloud, in conversation, helps hold the item in working/recent memory.
And we do both write lists/notes to ourselves separately, so neither of us are fully relying on the other to remember.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:11 PM

1,155 posts, read 961,676 times
I was married to a person like this. He was a seemingly normal husband, father, and employee, but he never noted anything down in a planner or appointment book. I kept track of everything for him, because somebody had to. I had to arrange and remind him of any medical, dental, professional, travel, or recreational appointments. Also, I had to set up maintenance appointments for his car and remind him about those. I also paid all the bills and prepared all the joint tax returns. I also reminded him about the birthdays of his mother and other relatives.

He couldn't remember his own children's birthdays or even how old they were, precisely. He never once remembered our anniversary; I truly think he had only the vaguest idea what month it was in. It never crossed his mind.

He'd come home and say, I have an important meeting at 10:00 am tomorrow. Please don't let me forget. Then he'd promptly forget it himself, because he'd assigned the reminder to me. He never used an alarm clock. Devices like that were all my bailiwick.

He'd also get irritated if I reminded him of something "too soon." For example, if I reminded him the night before that he had a dental appointment at 2:00 pm, he'd get exasperated and say, "Don't remind me NOW! There's nothing I can do about it NOW! Call me at work about an hour before the appointment and remind me THEN." Even the morning of an appointment was "too soon." He needed to rely on someone to get his attention or phone him and say, "ok, now it's time for you to do this thing."

I found this behavior selfish and self-centered, and I tried to show him how helpful it was to jot things down in a little planner. Eventually, I gave up and filed my time as his personal reminder under "What I did for love."

Old 11-18-2014, 12:14 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,247,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I sometimes say it to my husband, he sometimes to me but its more like "if you remember we need stamps when we are out, remind me".
I'll do this, but understand that it is ultimately on me to remember. Like, I'm laying in bed and I'll say, "Try to remind me to do XYZ tomorrow..."

Old 11-19-2014, 12:05 AM

6,380 posts, read 6,270,742 times
HighFlyingBird- it seems like people around you see you are reliable and responsible. Maybe not a bad thing!

Old 11-19-2014, 04:53 AM

652 posts, read 873,548 times
The premise of EMDR is basically offloading trauma on those who cannot deal with their own issues. The concept of rapid eye movement is akin to Man-E-Faces from He-Man. Souls passing through the eyes of the individuals similar to the lyrics song from Phil Collins "In too Deep" while in the band Genesis.

My comment is based on the title of the thread. People who assign their memories to another. It would be like a creator god assigning his success and creation to a lesser and inferior mind.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:19 AM

50,702 posts, read 36,411,320 times
I do this all the time at work and with my family..."Remind me of this, don't let me forget my umbrella, etc". Everyone knows I'm ADD and now add the forgetfulness that comes with menopause, we all laugh about it. I do use a plan book and I never, ever hold people responsible for my memory (if they forget to remind me I don't blame them). Really at my work we are many menopausal aged women, and we are all suffering from memory lapses to some degree, and all find a way to laugh about it. It's not literal, it's just "oh, don't let me forget this ir that" what is the big deal?

Old 11-21-2014, 05:52 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
I was single and lived alone for a good portion of my life, and am doing so again following the passing of my wife. I never developed the habit of passing memory duties to someone else, as there was no one there to dump it on when I was single. People who do this are going to be in for some difficulties should they ever lose a spouse/SO/coworkers who put up it, etc. It's a bad habit that I refer to as 'lazy brain', because to me, that's exactly what it is. I might tolerate it from a spouse, but not from anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology