Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 07:53 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,000,320 times

Advertisements

Flying the Confederate battle flag is like going to NYC and wearing a t-shirt in support of Al-Qaeda. You support treason and should be summarily executed by a firing squad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 10:20 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
It would be personal to whoever hung it up. It is both a symbol of Southern pride and shame, and racism. I feel all 3 of those and I´m white and originally Southern. I´ve never work and hung the Confederate Flag but I had a bandana that had the stars and bars on it and wore it in Seattle....got a few negative comments.

Old 11-25-2014, 11:35 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,653,398 times
"No symbols where none intended" - Samuel Beckett, Watt

Old 11-25-2014, 06:18 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Flying the Confederate battle flag is like going to NYC and wearing a t-shirt in support of Al-Qaeda. You support treason and should be summarily executed by a firing squad.
I don't appreciate you saying i should be executed by a firing squad, i can't really help it that i'm a descendant of a Confederate veteran and my father gave me an Confederate flag that has been in the family for a very long time.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:19 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindTheCure View Post
What does it mean if someone hangs the Confederate flag in their room?
There isn't really just one meaning, many people fly that flag for many different reasons.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:23 PM

919 posts, read 848,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
It means the freedom and independence that George Washington fought for is not a permanent free gift it must periodically be fought for again
Tyranny is not dead
Civil war was about massive illegal taxes put on the south by the north
Absolutely nothing to do with slavery nothing at all
But for those with an axe to grind
There has never been any other issue in America but slavery ever
Oh hey, the bizarro me! Nice meeting you.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:19 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Now days you say rebel symbol and the Confederate flag comes up. Its like the skull and cross bones in that regard.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:44 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,580,016 times
It may have to do with how people in the South view the flag versus how it is viewed by other parts of the country, but it seems to be, for them, a symbol of Southern nationalism and pride. The fact that it was, and is, still used by some to justify racial hatred, though, makes it a controversial symbol. We certainly wouldn't tolerate anyone displaying a swastika, even though in some countries it continues to be a symbol of life. This flag, though, has a different place in history, at least in the hearts of many Southerners.

BBC News - Why do people still fly the Confederate flag?

Old 11-26-2014, 02:17 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
It may have to do with how people in the South view the flag versus how it is viewed by other parts of the country, but it seems to be, for them, a symbol of Southern nationalism and pride. The fact that it was, and is, still used by some to justify racial hatred, though, makes it a controversial symbol. We certainly wouldn't tolerate anyone displaying a swastika, even though in some countries it continues to be a symbol of life. This flag, though, has a different place in history, at least in the hearts of many Southerners.

BBC News - Why do people still fly the Confederate flag?
Yeah dead on. I'm working in Peru and I was astonished that they have a national holiday to celebrate the exploits of a Peruvian Admiral that was killed in a war they lost against Chile...sometimes it's the losses that you remember most.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:53 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,665,602 times
I think it can mean different things to different people. To some, it' a symbol of being proud of where you come from. To others, it's a symbol of racism. The issue I have with these discussions is that there are people very quick to judge someone because of a symbol without understanding why a person may feel the way they do. Would I fly one? Probably not. Do I have an issue with someone else flying one? Not really.

I have lived in the South my entire life and have a very strong devotion to this area. I'm not racist (nor have I ever been) but I do take offense to someone who automatically assumes that just because I'm from the South I'm redneck, uneducated, and a racist (have been called out on it before when my wife and I visited other areas) and assume that anyone who has any symbols that they use to represent the South must fall into that category. The South was basically persecuted not only for slavery (which I 100% agree needed to happen) but also because they didn't want to pay the tax on cotton and textiles that the Government was trying to impose.

The problem is, depending on the area you are from, you may be taught different history lessons. Just remember that there are ALWAYS two sides to everything, including a war. It helps to try to look at all of it from a neutral perspective and really try to understand WHY it happened before pointing fingers. Find the root cause. The root cause in this case was taxation AND slavery. Not just one thing.

That flag only has the power you give it. If you choose to view it as a symbol of racism, it will become one. If you choose to see it as a symbol of Southern pride and heritage, it will take that form. Many a Confederate soldier died trying to protect their families and nothing more. To many people, that is what the flag represents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology