Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 10:06 PM

51 posts, read 60,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
I am manly ...... big fat ugly butts and fake ugly boobs are just plain ugly.
This thread is mostly dealing with stereotypes of manly men that are predominant in society, so yea, I wouldn't be surprised if you or other actual men don't find this kind of girl attractive, despite considering yourself manly. I think it's pretty obvious that this kind of girl is presented in the media and society as something that men are supposed to find attractive though and I think they are also intimately tied up with most things masculine (standing half naked next to some car at a car show or as cheerleaders at sports games, etc.).

One thing that comes to mind here is an older music video, maybe from 10 years or so ago, for that Stacy's Mom song. I always thought Stacy was way more attractive, but all my guy friend's back in high school preferred her fake looking big breasted mom. It was high school though, so I'm not sure to what extent they truly found the mom more attractive and to what extent it was just them believing that guys are supposed to find that kind of girl to be really attractive and, not wanting to look less manly, they would just say that the mom was more attractive. Perhaps by that point they had already been so conditioned by society that they had changed their preferences accordingly and truly did think the mom was more attractive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
I also hate the cheapening of manhood in the form of advertisements. For instance the whole Dr. Pepper 10 thing, you know "10 manly calories." Why are 10 calories more "manly" than 0? Also by that logic shouldn't a "real man" always drink regular soda since caloric intake=manhood? I cringe at most male oriented advertising because it's so cliche` and over the top.
Yea that crap is so annoying. Like that one diet commercial, "eat like a man and still lose weight." .....

Old 12-01-2014, 11:39 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,047,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Are you serious? Your job does not allow employees to listen to certain artists?
Whether or not they actually would enforce it, I don't know. But in a work environment where cultural fit is more important than performance, it's not a risk I'd want to take.

The ultimate was that a coworker referred to the route that I take to work as "gay", because I take a "safe" route rather than the more thrill seeking route. How can a route to work have a sexual orientation? I've tried that more thrill seeking route that my coworkers suggest. It is no faster than the route I take (may be even slower), and it is more dangerous (involves several left turns with no traffic light onto major roads with poor sight distance). So I take the "safe" route since I'm just looking to get to work, and I am not looking for thrills. But several coworkers said that if they were in charge of our department, they would never hire somebody like me who takes the "gay" route to work. I do worry that my career could be in jeopardy if/when these people rise to management positions.

Old 12-02-2014, 04:13 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,853 times
Yes i do think society puts pressure on men to be masculine. Heck you can go to the Fashion & Beauty forums on CD and find dozens if not hundreds of posts from women saying "i want a REAL man". Of course, if guys demand that women start wearing dresses and acting more feminine/ladylike thered be an uproar.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:21 AM

3,603 posts, read 5,938,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Whether or not they actually would enforce it, I don't know. But in a work environment where cultural fit is more important than performance, it's not a risk I'd want to take.

The ultimate was that a coworker referred to the route that I take to work as "gay", because I take a "safe" route rather than the more thrill seeking route. How can a route to work have a sexual orientation? I've tried that more thrill seeking route that my coworkers suggest. It is no faster than the route I take (may be even slower), and it is more dangerous (involves several left turns with no traffic light onto major roads with poor sight distance). So I take the "safe" route since I'm just looking to get to work, and I am not looking for thrills. But several coworkers said that if they were in charge of our department, they would never hire somebody like me who takes the "gay" route to work. I do worry that my career could be in jeopardy if/when these people rise to management positions.

You work with a bunch of morons. You can get some entertainment every day there, like dumb and dumber. Of course if you get tired of it, start looking around for work. I like the book Job Search Solution by Tony Beshara.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:28 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,448,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
While I like doing certain "manly" things -- like play and watch sports, shoot pool, and so forth -- there are others that simply don't interest me like they do my friends, including:

- Drinking beer (don't drink at all)
- Assembling/fixing stuff around the house
- Fixing cars
- Going to shooting ranges
- Hunting

Society seems to feel that if you're male and not doing this stuff, you simply aren't a "real man." But I think that's all hogwash.

Do you agree society puts pressure on men to be very masculine?
Not drinking at all pushes your lifestyle onto other people which limits your dating and friend pool. Not saying you have to drink much but akward going on a date and girl orders a drink and you sit there and stare.

You dont have to like to fix stuff around house or car, but you should know how to do it or make a ton and pay folks to do it. A girl wants to marry a man and not another girl.

West Coast and East Coast guns and hunting are not important.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:34 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,448,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden_Monkey View Post
One thing I've never, ever understood and never will: why is the act of watching sports considered more manly than actually doing them? If you paint your face in team colors and scream at a bunch of multimillionaires throwing a piece of rubber through a hoop or trying to run a piece of leather over a line while your belly flab jiggles like a jello salad, you're a real man. If you go out for a 70 mile bike ride or an 18-mile run, people throw garbage at you and yell insults about your supposed sexual orientation... often on the way to a an event where they're going to watch very rich men in tight outfits wrestle over a ball.

The 50 year old white males who are the bosses in most companies talk about sports on Monday morning in particular football. You can be left out of some important conversations and networking if you dont watch at least a little.

70 mile bike rides and 18 mile runs are healthy. But as a boss I had a person who liked that stuff and I just assumed he was a selfish person. He had a girl friend he ignored when he was doing this, a Mom and Dad he could have been helping around the house, maybe catching up on some of the office work or volunteering or going to church whatever. Instead the activity was all me me me me. I know it is great for him. But as a Boss or as his Mom sitting with leaves and snow piling up or his GF stood up cause it was night before "Bike" race I am sure they thought it was silly. Guy is like 32 grow up already

Old 12-02-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Not drinking at all pushes your lifestyle onto other people which limits your dating and friend pool. Not saying you have to drink much but akward going on a date and girl orders a drink and you sit there and stare.
lol Do you realize the irony of what you say? You sound like one of those conservative people who complains about gay marriage or atheism somehow forcing its lifestyle upon you. First you say that not drinking pushes your lifestyle on to others and then you defend some of the exact reasoning that is behind the social pressure that exists which pushes a drinking culture on everyone. Oh, it would be so awkward to not drink, so you know, stop thinking your an individual and have any control over your own life and just shut up and drink now like your supposed to.

Sorry but no, I don't drink. I never have and I never will. I see the act as being an absolute waste of money, unhealthy, and just childish and irresponsible in general. Dating and friends? Yes you are right, but you know what? I would rather not hang out with a bunch of cookie cutter people who lack individuality anyway because they are too weak and/or care too much about social status and just give in to social pressure all the time. Oh, and what exactly about that is 'manly'? I despise the notion of a 'real man', but wouldn't a real man stand up to such nonsense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
The 50 year old white males who are the bosses in most companies talk about sports on Monday morning in particular football. You can be left out of some important conversations and networking if you dont watch at least a little.
This is exactly the kind of nonsense pressure being talked about in this thread. I don't like sports and I'm not gonna waste my time watching them just to kiss up to my boss. That isn't about not growing up either. It's about not giving in to some nonsense social pressure and standing up and being myself. Again, is that not more 'manly'?

Last edited by alester237; 12-02-2014 at 08:19 AM..

Old 12-02-2014, 08:41 AM

3,603 posts, read 5,938,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahaver237 View Post
lol Do you realize the irony of what you say? You sound like one of those conservative people who complains about gay marriage or atheism somehow forcing its lifestyle upon you. First you say that not drinking pushes your lifestyle on to others and then you defend some of the exact reasoning that is behind the social pressure that exists which pushes a drinking culture on everyone. Oh, it would be so awkward to not drink, so you know, stop thinking your an individual and have any control over your own life and just shut up and drink now like your supposed to.

Sorry but no, I don't drink. I never have and I never will. I see the act as being an absolute waste of money, unhealthy, and just childish and irresponsible in general. Dating and friends? Yes you are right, but you know what? I would rather not hang out with a bunch of cookie cutter people who lack individuality anyway because they are too weak and/or care too much about social status and just give in to social pressure all the time. Oh, and what exactly about that is 'manly'? I despise the notion of a 'real man', but wouldn't a real man stand up to such nonsense?

This is exactly the kind of nonsense pressure being talked about in this thread. I don't like sports and I'm not gonna waste my time watching them just to kiss up to my boss. That isn't about not growing up either. It's about not giving in to some nonsense social pressure and standing up and being myself. Again, is that not more 'manly'?
Right on, brother! I don't drink either. And you know, drinking establishments always have nonalcoholic choices too so you don't have to "sit there and stare" as was suggested.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:30 AM

271 posts, read 532,263 times
Just do what you like and make sure you're "manly" when it counts, which is pretty much only in the bedroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology