Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 02:35 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,037,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
So I'm curious to hear from introverts... (and extroverts feel free to chime in!) ... do you Facebook? Do you enjoy it? Are you open, and let people tag you all over the place? Do you post every day? Several times a day? Pictures of food and a selfie wherever you go?
Yes, I have a facebook page.. I don't really enjoy it and mostly just go there for the news feeds. I am not open with anything there at all, and have never been tagged. No pictures of food, and no selfies. I'm down to about 45-50 friends now and these are people that I actually know. In fact I've declined far more friend requests than I've ever accepted... I keep it simple lol.

And personally I think people are out of control with it. Couple of years ago I was in Cancun Mexico with my GF and our hotel had THE most perfect, romantic open-air restaurant right on the beach. There was candlelight, and soft music, and the wind coming off the ocean with the sound of the waves was absolutely intoxicating...

And the couple at the table next to us had their laptop open to facebook. I've scratched my head over that for three years now.. (?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 02:51 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I'm not hugely introverted, more of a slight bent toward introversion (both in the Meyers Briggs definition of introversion and the more colloquial understanding of it).

I do use and enjoy Facebook, for a variety of reasons. I've moved around lots, both on my own and as a military spouse, and therefore have family and acquaintances and past colleagues scattered all over, and it's a nice central way to stay caught up with those I wish to stay caught up with, overall. I don't really use Facebook to contact people I don't actually know in real life, or, in the few cases of people I've not met in person, people I've been in online communities with for years and years. All of my Facebook friendships are born of legitimate friendships. They're just mostly with people who I don't have regular access to due to distance. They're "real" friendships and there is no drama. I'm also becoming a first-time parent soon, and am very appreciative of the ability to send frequent pregnancy and family updates to my loved ones with ease since I am very far away from most of them.

While I enjoy face-to-face interaction with my friends and loved ones, it's not possible with many of them regularly due to distance. If given the choice between written correspondence via FB and phone calls, I choose the written. Both because I hate talking on the phone, overall, in most cases, and because written is more flexible. I can do it whenever I grab a moment, without worrying about bothering anybody or calling them at an inopportune time, or not catching them and playing phone tag to catch up.

I don't prefer most other social media, however...am not especially interested in twitter or instagram or any of that.

I also use FB as a way to access different news media feeds, since I don't watch TV news or subscribe to print editions of media, but if I weren't on FB, I'd still be able to access them via online. FB is just good for consolidating the feeds into one place.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:40 PM

31 posts, read 29,952 times
I'm very much an introvert, have Facebook and I enjoy it to a certain extent. Its like I go on binges where I check Facebook at least twice a day, then I disable my account for 25 days. Right now, I have disabled my account again for 25 days. Reason being, when I do not plan on checking it (for whatever reason) I do not want my FB friends to have access to my page. I picture them staring at old posts or writing a hello on my wall...not that that's bad it's just...not now.

After someone posted a picture of a person that looks like me on my wall and made a comment/joke that I did not appreciate, I promptly turned that feature off. Also, I cannot tagged without my approval. Thank God because my introvert brain began to imagine all the horrific tags my Friday-night-sauced-up former classmates would include me in.

I have used FB to share few pictures of my family, myself, cityscapes, literary or social satirical memes. I have asked questions about social behavior; how to respond to in certain weird social situations. Feedback was always funny and helpful.

I don't have and don't like twitter and I deleted my instagram. I have 520+ FB friends and most of them are labeled 'associate' so that they cannot see whats on my wall, certain statuses, photo albums or personal information. I have this many because I've moved lot, networked a lot and my family is massive.

Main reason I like FB is the ability I have to keep in contact with my family (all over the east-coast) and friends (all over the world). It's nice to know there's a way to contact them if I need or want to.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:17 PM

31 posts, read 29,952 times
I'm confused as to why some people find it puzzling for an introvert to have many FB friends or to be very active on FB.

Typically, introverts are people who like solitary activities and do not prefer small talk...Facebook (like C-D) eliminates greetings and allows posters to name a specific topic and get specific feed back. Some of the debates I've had on FB have been more enlightening than the ones I've had in a university classroom.
Introversion isn't synonymous with shyness. If an introvert has 1000 FB 'friends', so what? Understand that the controls on FB allow users to Control What Is Visible To Everyone. Even my extrovert brother has 700 'friends' but on only 70 of them can actually see his wall and statuses and albums.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:20 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Meh, I don't think it's a matter of introvert or extrovert. My husband is EXTREMELY extroverted and he doesn't care about or bother with Facebook at all. I'm much more introverted than he is, but I'm on Facebook a lot and probably interact more on FB than real life.

I have my settings on FB where nothing can be posted to my timeline unless I okay it. But it's not because of introversion at all; it's because I don't want just anyone posting on my wall.

I am considering dumping FB, but not because of anything you mention. I'm just getting tired of various things, but a huge one is people who think they have a right to get on their soapbox about THEIR political or social views but they won't tolerate opposing views and either unfriend or hide or threaten to unfriend anyone who disagrees with them. I definitely don't agree with all the things that come across my news feed, but I would never unfriend someone because their views are different than mine.

Also a little sick of people who only post when there is DRAMA. And if you ask if something's wrong, they say to message them. If it is a secret, why did you post it on FB?

And the random posts that say blah blah blah...and then THIS happened!!!! They are posts trying to make you curious enough to click on the link. I don't even bother anymore, even if I'm interested.

And other things.

Old 07-10-2015, 11:56 PM

269 posts, read 371,115 times
I find it funny how most on here make excuses for having a FB and those who got rid of theirs somehow think they are better than those who still have them. What makes people better than me are those out doing charitable work or something selfless along those lines.

I am an introvert and I do check FB most days. I would think introverts are MORE likely to use FB more than extroverts - since being on FB is a solitary activity. Extroverts are more likely to be out and about with people and not use it as much, no?

Old 07-12-2015, 09:20 AM

807 posts, read 1,033,309 times
I'm an introvert and have no interest in Facebook. I do not want people knowing my business, nor do I care what other people are doing.

Facebook tapped into the narcissism that pervades our society today. Like I give a crap that you went to the beach today. Guess what, nobody cares!

Old 07-12-2015, 09:42 AM

9,094 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
I'm an introvert and have no interest in Facebook. I do not want people knowing my business, nor do I care what other people are doing.

Facebook tapped into the narcissism that pervades our society today. Like I give a crap that you went to the beach today. Guess what, nobody cares!
I agree. As an introvert I prefer face-to-face interaction with other individuals or in small groups. I hate being the center of attention and Facebook is all about being the center of attention on a digital medium. Facebook is shallow and narcissistic which is the domain of the extroverts.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:10 PM

897 posts, read 1,180,446 times
Why on earth wouldn't an introvert have a Facebook?

All introversion means is we recharge by being by ourselves. Easy enough to do with or without facebook. :|

Old 07-13-2015, 07:22 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,037,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I sure wish Facebook would go the way of MySpace. Its annoying when shopping online and they want to show what you bought on your Facebook page. Who the heck cares that I just bought a toaster online, and why is it anyone's business.
Turn off the tracking cookies on your computer. Also, wherever you're shopping online should have a setting that will allow the website to share your information - especially if you log into it with facebook. Look for that and turn it off.

Anyway, point is you have options instead of simply blaming facebook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology