Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 07:15 AM

15 posts, read 29,299 times

Advertisements

I have noticed recently that more and more children are getting smart mouths and talking like they're adults. Telling their parents what to do, telling others that they will "punch them in the face" if they don't get their way. And talking back to parents and teachers in rude ways. Have you encountered children like this? What's your opinion? How would you address it if it were your child? I'm curious what people have to say about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 07:19 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
In real life or on TV??

Old 12-15-2014, 07:28 AM

In real life

Old 12-15-2014, 07:36 AM

My kids don't act like that.

While I have seen some poorly behaved kids over the years, I have never seen a kid in real life tell an adult they would "punch them in the face."

I do believe that a huge influence is TV shows in which children's roles are written with the same sarcasm that adults would use. In fact, many TV shows that parents who don't pay attention would think are OK for kids, like a lot of the shows on Disney XD, are full of smart-mouthed kids with very little adult influence who get away with that stuff all the time.

In normal situations, getting children to be well behaved comes down to attentive, consistent parenting and modeling by the adults in the lives of those kids.

If I knew people whose kids acted that way, I would not hang around any of them.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:56 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,823,762 times
Our friends daughter is like that......in fact I do not like to be around her...her parents always take her and her older sister who is a nice girl on the yearly cruises that we go on together and she is whiny and mouthy....we already booked one again with them for two months from now but I think it is going to be our last...we went to an overnight camping party at their marina this past summer and my husband was on their docked boat with her parents..she was sitting around the bonfire with the rest of us ...this girl stands in the middle of the everyone at the bonfire and says 'Who here thinks that ________ is going to get drunk here tonight?" No one answered her...she was talking about my husband...now we saw this girl maybe THREE times a year...at most...shes like 11...when I was younger my father as a member of the local Knights of Columbus and we literally grew up there with constant drinking and parties and my parents drunken friends...IF WE EVER would have called out a certain friend of my dads for whatever reason, we would have gotten big time punished....my husband has NEVER made a drunken scene...on cruises we barely drink because its pretty expensive... so I have no idea why she felt the need to announce that and it really made me mad...I told my husband a while later and of course he mentions it to his buddy that his daughter said that the next time he saw him and now the wife is really cold towards me....whatever..like she's mad at me.... dread seeing that little brat in a few months....

Old 12-15-2014, 08:57 AM

I think you may be right about the influence TV has on their behavior. I very much limit the amount of electronics my daughter is allowed to use and I monitor what she watches and what cites she goes to online. So many of the kids she goes to school with have fresh mouths. I've heard children in 1st and 2nd grade cursing at their teachers and parents. I've heard teens and preteens make violent threats towards other kids and adults. I'm not sure if it's just the area I'm in but I know children never acted like this when I was younger.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustrated101 View Post
I've heard children in 1st and 2nd grade cursing at their teachers and parents. I've heard teens and preteens make violent threats towards other kids and adults. I'm not sure if it's just the area I'm in but I know children never acted like this when I was younger.
This will be harder to deal with the the influence of a 30-minute TV show. Can you change schools??

Where do you live??

Old 12-15-2014, 09:00 AM

That sounds like a nightmare, why do parents allow behavior like that from their children? I hope she's matured since the last time you've seen her but it doesn't sound like it's going to be all that much fun with either her or her mother. I'm not a drinker but I would recommend going to the liquor store first and stocking up on those little bottles. They're easy to hide in your luggage and much cheaper than you'll find on a cruise. Good luck.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
This will be harder to deal with the the influence of a 30-minute TV show. Can you change schools??

Where do you live??
I've been trying to get her in another school but the 'good' ones in my area are full. I really hope to be out of this area for good in a few months. I live in Schenectady, NY.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:56 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
I don't know of any well adjusted children who act like that.

To act that way in public is a sign of a much bigger problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology