Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 02:35 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times

Advertisements

It could certainly just be laziness, but I will say the only time in my entire post-pubescent life that I didn't bathe/shower every single day was when I was seriously depressed.

Last edited by JerZ; 04-10-2016 at 02:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 03:14 AM

370 posts, read 654,142 times
People need to learn to mind their business.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloimage View Post
People need to learn to mind their business.
Sorry...if you're (not the above poster; "you" as in the general you) sitting next to me being so repugnant and smelly that I'm feeling ill, you have forced your business into mine.

Either bathe or go sit somewhere else.

You have the right not to bathe or to wash your stinky itchy hair. And I have the right not to feel like I'm going to vomit from the waft of bacteria-laden sweat while downwind.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:09 AM

21,880 posts, read 12,936,608 times
People don't need to bathe every day, and they surely don't need to shampoo every day. Nor do you have to launder your clothes after one wearing. Americans are so neurotic about this!

Old 04-17-2016, 05:47 PM

281 posts, read 25,247 times
I have no issue with it. Besides, bathing regularly can lead to skin or hair problems such as dandruff

Old 04-17-2016, 06:48 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
People don't need to bathe every day, and they surely don't need to shampoo every day. Nor do you have to launder your clothes after one wearing. Americans are so neurotic about this!
Depends on the situation. Sitting in a climate controlled office - you are right.

However, this morning, I got up, showered, and put on clean clothes. I then, over the course of the day, did some gardening, worked in my garage, walked 7 miles on a beautiful 77 degree day, fertilized the lawn, killed some ants, and ended up walking the dog another 3 miles this evening.

I'm pooped. I'm sweaty. My shirt is sweated through. My head is sweaty.

Yes, I will be showering again, washing my hair, and I will be washing my clothes before I wear them again.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:59 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,174,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakealope View Post
My 23 year old niece won't bathe or shower on a regular basis. She takes a shower about every 5 or 6 days and at times she smells pretty bad. I've run into men or boys who won't bathe, but I don't think I've ever run into a girl in her 20's who won't bathe. Is this a sign of some other problem? I think this is very strange behavior.
I take public transportation on a regular basis & am always noticing people on there who smell bad - and, no, it's not just people who are homeless; some of these are regular commuters on their way to work! I think there are a lot of people out there who just don't care about personal hygiene.

Re: if a young woman doesn't bathe often & stinks to high heaven, I have a feeling that she may not be dating - at least not on a regular basis. If she is, then I suspect any guy she goes out with probably has a bad B.O. problem too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Maybe this is an anti-male bias on my part but I can't imagine any female not bathing regularly unless she has a mental issue; whereas males often fail to bathe because of laziness.
Exactly. We guys can get away with being slobs & smelling bad sometimes, but women can't. I'm a guy, so I can say that

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 04-19-2016 at 07:18 PM..

Old 04-19-2016, 10:29 PM

^ Well, this is the problem. I feel like sometimes when people claim regular bathing just isn't necessary, and comment that they themselves are proof, they just don't realize that they actually may smell quite bad. They may assume all is well because nobody is pointing and going "My God, you stink" bit most people don't want to do that; instead they'll subtly try to move away, or whatever.

We get used to our own smells and we don't smell them the way others may.

That doesn't mean we should all bathe twice a day or anything ridiculous but I'm not really buying that, say, once a week is plenty. It is pretty terrible to be trapped next to the smelly person out in public, you don't know what to do, but it can be quite offensive. Sure, "naturally" in the wild, or in pre-agricultural hunter gatherer groups people would not have bathed frequently, but with the advent of villages and cities, people now live in large groups pressed close together so yes, modern society has changed that. And it has always been an issue, why do you think people wandered with kerchiefs, posies, wore perfumes and waters and so on even centuries ago? Guess.

People can make their own decisions unless their hygiene is literally a public health hazard but do be aware that just because you think you don't smell on your regimen of maybe once or twice a week showering, it's possible that you're wrong about that and people just don't want to tell you the truth (hence the whole point of this thread according to the OP).

By the way, no, I do not believe men can "get away with" smelling more so than women, but any male here is welcome to test out that theory in the dating world. Good luck. I don't know if it's the testosterone or what but men who don't bathe smell about ten bajillion times grosser than women, IMO. I mean just stomach-turning gross. So as I said, good luck, let us all know how it goes.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:46 AM

21,880 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Maybe, like the weather, "bad" is in the eye of the beholder. Have we gotten so soft that we think anything other than artificial fragrances is a "bad' smell? It's even been suggested that our high divorce rate is the result of everyone masking his or her natural pheromones (which are unique to each individual and are thought by some to guide natural sexual attraction and compatibility) with colognes and perfumes and stripping our natural "aromas" with cleansers.

I'm not widely traveled, but seems I've heard somewhere that other cultures are less prissy.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Maybe, like the weather, "bad" is in the eye of the beholder. Have we gotten so soft that we think anything other than artificial fragrances is a "bad' smell? It's even been suggested that our high divorce rate is the result of everyone masking his or her natural pheromones (which are unique to each individual and are thought by some to guide natural sexual attraction and compatibility) with colognes and perfumes and stripping our natural "aromas" with cleansers.

I'm not widely traveled, but seems I've heard somewhere that other cultures are less prissy.
I'm not sure I believe this. Pheros tend to be detected under other smells. I believe it's more likely the infatuation period wears off; that's (the infatuation period, I mean) what really covers what we don't like about another partner, long enough, anyway, to get us paired and pregnant and through the pregnancy with a protective partner - nature's way.

As for getting soft, etc. - to an extent, and to an extent it's cultural, but there is also the fact that as I said above, we live in artificially close quarters and yes, that will be much more intrusive, and make everything more offensive (including odors), than if we lived in smaller "tribes." Sure, how "smelly" a person can "appropriately" be varies from culture to culture but there are limits, IMO. Saying anything but artificial smells are acceptable, given these facts, is pretty much hyperbole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology