Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 10:29 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,382,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
ok so im hearing alot of people just wanting to sit around and do nothing???? is that what we've become?
Maybe those on the Psych forum, but not the ones on this forum:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/self-...-preparedness/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 10:37 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,246,572 times
If the world is coming to an end, how is it going to hurt to sit around and do nothing? Do you have some kind of plan to keep the world from coming to an end? Sitting around and doing nothing gives you time to think of such a plan. And it might turn out to be a hoax. Better to do nothing than to panic and do something drastic if it's going to turn out to be a hoax.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:00 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,382,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
If the world is coming to an end, how is it going to hurt to sit around and do nothing? Do you have some kind of plan to keep the world from coming to an end? Sitting around and doing nothing gives you time to think of such a plan. And it might turn out to be a hoax. Better to do nothing than to panic and do something drastic if it's going to turn out to be a hoax.

Well, the world comes to an end every day for different people. One source said 150,000 people on average have their world end every single day. In the Pompeii video, Pliny the Younger wrote in his journal that the world had come to an end. I imagine being at the foot of Mt. Vesuvius when you had never even heard of a volcano erupting like that, you might think the same thing.

My sense is that we have some cataclysmic events in our future that have nothing to do with politics or manmade events. We are way overdue. The Indian Ocean and Japan Tsunamis, the Icelandic volcano eruption - those things foretell some bigger events. The earth is on the move always and forever. We are but a tiny parasite that clings to her only because of gravity. She shakes us off from time to time, gets indigestion and gets cranky. We had a "year without summer" in 1816. Who knows? If Yosemite goes off, we could see the entire western part of North America blanketed in ash for a long time. That would seem like the end of the world for a lot of people!

Expect the best, prepare for the worst and live somewhere in the middle.
That's my philosophy... and these two gems:

"The day you die will be the same as every other day, only shorter."
(I think it was Elbert Hubbard who said that, I could be wrong...if I find the author, I'll post it)

"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good."
Steven Wright, comedian

Old 01-13-2015, 02:54 AM

393 posts, read 345,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
We had a "year without summer" in 1816. Who knows? If Yosemite goes off, we could see the entire western part of North America blanketed in ash for a long time. That would seem like the end of the world for a lot of people!
The year without a summer was nothing more than a summer of below-average temperatures across the Northern Hemisphere due to the eruption of Mount Tambora in Indonesia. While there were famines, this wasn't uncommon then nor is it today - unfortunate for those people, but hardly any remotely resembling the "end of the world" under any circumstances.

And what's this about Yosemite "going off"? All of the volcanoes in that area have been extinct for 5 million years now. I take it you're actually referring to Yellowstone Caldera? Even in such an event, it's more likely that all areas from Wyoming eastward would be affected by ash, due to the west-to-east direction that the jet streams travel and carry air. Regions west of Yellowstone would not see nearly as great of an effect (or ash) from the super-eruption. Remember the direction in which the Earth spins and its weather patterns follow. That's why the West Coast often receives small amounts of pollution from China and (back in 2011) radiation from Japan's Fukushima disaster. Volcano eruptions in the Cascades have considerably little effect on the climate of the West Coast, while eruptions way over in Indonesia have massive effects over here in California (triggering and/or exacerbating El Nino events and its effects - e.g. Krakatoa in 1882, Mount Pinatubo in 1991, etc) giving us extremely wet winters and cool summers.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:54 AM

11,361 posts, read 9,274,423 times
Quote:
ok so im hearing alot of people just wanting to sit around and do nothing???? is that what we've become?
I'm sort of in that group but I do like Zentropa's idea.

If you haven't done it by now it's probably too late. The end is here so no big deal.

The sex/screwing part has me a bit puzzled. If you have someone to do that with now, fine. But what all of a sudden changes when the end is here and a person is alone? Because in the back of my mind I'm thinking that some here have no problem with having sex with an unwilling partner. That is no way I want to go out...

Old 01-13-2015, 06:58 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,815,689 times
Shouldn't we act like "the end is neigh" every day--with some restraint, of course. Because let's face it: the end IS neigh, depending on what your definition of "neigh" is.

Aw, who am I kidding. In spite of what you all have said, you'd be sitting at your computers on City-Data creating the same old threads over and over.

Cheers!

Old 01-13-2015, 07:27 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,301,578 times

Caption: "YOU know what this means Norm; no size restriction and screw the limits!"

Old 01-13-2015, 09:07 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,757,719 times
Quote:
What Do you DO?
I'd cry. The lost opportunities.

If given enough time, I'd go to the beach or up among the big pines.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:34 AM

4,481 posts, read 3,635,983 times
Call my daughter to say goodbye, hug and kiss the dog, have a drink and drag my husband to bed for a last fling. If we have enough time, I would make him grill all of us steaks and have another drink while we ate and waited for whatever.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:10 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,509,310 times
Mutter "figures" and go back to bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology