Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 02:30 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,533,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
I thought it'd be interesting for us introverts to list things we do (or don't) that classify us as such.

I'll go first:

- I like to spend my lunch break in my car, by myself, reading or writing
- Sometimes I go to the restroom and hang out in the stall -- not because I need to do my business, but to flee people and get some alone time
- I get lost in my thoughts and live in my head -- and there's nowhere else I'd rather be
- I'll sometimes tell people I'm sick just to avoid having to attend a party or other social event
- Reading on my cell phone can be the highlight of a Friday night party
- Reading on a Friday night can seem like more fun than going out with a group of people
- I often prefer chatting with someone via text or Facebook to talking over the phone or in person

Do you agree with these? Any others you can add to the list?
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkergraduate View Post
I agree with your list. To add, I sleep alone in my own room while my wife sleeps in her own bedroom. That's how much I prefer being alone.
I love and do all of these (except for the separate br's thing, as I don't have a SO) but if I did that would be totally cool for me

I also make excuses to not go out with groups of people. I cannot stand when i'm in the bathroom at work and someone else comes in, I have to leave immediately. I've also gone out of my way to not walk in someone else's path so I don't have to say good morning (although if it can't be avoided I do say it with a smile)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 08:38 PM

52 posts, read 56,732 times
I am married with a child still home, and I work all day in a busy office where I have to interact with tons of people.

I usually stay up about 2 hours after everyone has gone to bed, reading in the quiet just so I can recharge enough to survive the next day at work.

For weekend activities, I try to keep it to hiking, cycling, just general outdoor stuff, so I can recharge enough for the following week. Some weekends I don't even leave my house

Old 01-29-2015, 12:12 AM

1,381 posts, read 1,763,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvdaSun View Post
I am married with a child still home, and I work all day in a busy office where I have to interact with tons of people.

I usually stay up about 2 hours after everyone has gone to bed, reading in the quiet just so I can recharge enough to survive the next day at work.

For weekend activities, I try to keep it to hiking, cycling, just general outdoor stuff, so I can recharge enough for the following week. Some weekends I don't even leave my house
My wife and I have vowed to make Sunday the day of the week in which we stay home and relax. We might run an errand occasionally, but we aim to do as little as possible.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:27 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,204,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
I thought it'd be interesting for us introverts to list things we do (or don't) that classify us as such.

I'll go first:

- I like to spend my lunch break in my car, by myself, reading or writing
- Sometimes I go to the restroom and hang out in the stall -- not because I need to do my business, but to flee people and get some alone time
- I get lost in my thoughts and live in my head -- and there's nowhere else I'd rather be
- I'll sometimes tell people I'm sick just to avoid having to attend a party or other social event
- Reading on my cell phone can be the highlight of a Friday night party
- Reading on a Friday night can seem like more fun than going out with a group of people
- I often prefer chatting with someone via text or Facebook to talking over the phone or in person

Do you agree with these? Any others you can add to the list?
If things get boring or there are a lot of people, I tend to be thinking of nearly anything but the place. That said, I also tend to be a watcher, and while part of my mind is one place, the rest in on watch and guard and if I feel uncomforable I concentrate on that.

Mostly I just don't get invited, but then I tend not to go if I do.

I'm much happier at home doing things which are fun to me over having to put up with multitudes of people. When I call friends we tend to talk a couple of hours, and I have to plug in the phone sometimes. Longest call was eight hours.

I write stories and I can close my eyes and play the scene in my head before I write it. Much more interesting than ho hum strangers. Though sometimes I'll 'step back' from a group and watch them as if they were some tribe in the hinterlands I'd discovered.

I have a collection of hobbies, and my hobbies don't sit in boxes when I'm not actively working on them, and I can entertain myself quite well by myself. But when I find a group of fellow stitchers or so on, its WONDERFUL to find others who can appreciate all the little things.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:25 AM

735 posts, read 867,879 times
Until recently I never considered myself an introvert. I am an adrenaline junkie that has squeezed in a couple of lifetimes worth of experiences in the three decades I have been on this planet.

I like people, and I can quickly assess a person and easily adapt to the situation, a handy tool to have when you have to figure out if a person is going to sell you out and you are going to wind up the subject on the next beheading video. I can also work a room, talking to CEO's, millionaires, trust fund babies and be completely within my element.

I know I sound like a d-bag, but it's the anonymous internet, I don't go around bragging about this stuff in RL.

Though at the end of the day, no matter how much I like interacting with people, it is still exhausting. When I need to recharge my batteries, I do it alone. Hiking is my preferred method, but even a long hot bath will go along way.

Having left that life, I now work from home and in my free time have written a novel. Now days, I only have to interact with people when I want to and life is freak'in awesome! I wish every introvert had this type of freedom.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perigee View Post
Until recently I never considered myself an introvert. I am an adrenaline junkie that has squeezed in a couple of lifetimes worth of experiences in the three decades I have been on this planet.

I like people, and I can quickly assess a person and easily adapt to the situation, a handy tool to have when you have to figure out if a person is going to sell you out and you are going to wind up the subject on the next beheading video. I can also work a room, talking to CEO's, millionaires, trust fund babies and be completely within my element.

I know I sound like a d-bag, but it's the anonymous internet, I don't go around bragging about this stuff in RL.

Though at the end of the day, no matter how much I like interacting with people, it is still exhausting. When I need to recharge my batteries, I do it alone. Hiking is my preferred method, but even a long hot bath will go along way.

Having left that life, I now work from home and in my free time have written a novel. Now days, I only have to interact with people when I want to and life is freak'in awesome! I wish every introvert had this type of freedom.
I hope to work from home someday myself!

Old 01-29-2015, 09:09 PM

4,670 posts, read 5,073,921 times
-I hate small talk and let it be known usually through my body language and facial expression;
-I would rather be thinking, regardless how stupid whatever I am thinking about might be, than talk to 90-99% of the people I come across depending on where I am;
-I cannot spend more than 8 hours around a group of people without getting cranky;
-I am a very private person;

Old 01-29-2015, 10:50 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,058,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perigee View Post
I hate you. Immensely. Okay, it's more like jealousy.

The one thing that makes me a huge introvert, besides everything that was listed.....needing to find friends and SO's who won't drain me. I have very few real friends because of this and most of my closest, dearest friends are across the country that I interact with via IM/text/email. All the other people I call friends, I go out with once....a quarter and it usually takes me a week to recover after one day out with them. Ugh!

Oh and Wordsmith, I haven't done anything on a Sunday for probably 15 years. If I see you on a Sunday, you're damned special to me (at least for that one day). Otherwise, everyone knows I don't leave the house on Sunday's (well, unless I need food). So, good choice for you and your wife!

Old 01-30-2015, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post

Oh and Wordsmith, I haven't done anything on a Sunday for probably 15 years. If I see you on a Sunday, you're damned special to me (at least for that one day). Otherwise, everyone knows I don't leave the house on Sunday's (well, unless I need food). So, good choice for you and your wife!
Thought we were the only ones

Old 01-30-2015, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
-I hate small talk and let it be known usually through my body language and facial expression;
-I would rather be thinking, regardless how stupid whatever I am thinking about might be, than talk to 90-99% of the people I come across depending on where I am;
-I cannot spend more than 8 hours around a group of people without getting cranky;
-I am a very private person;
For a second I thought I had written this post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology