Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 05:45 AM

11,368 posts, read 9,280,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
So true, remember a friend from high school getting freaking angry over me not drinking in college because he drove down to "share a beer with his buddy." Neither of us drank in high school so why am I the bad guy for being the same person I always was.

Or another friend whose boyfriend tried to fight me at a party because I told him I didn't drink when he brought another beer up assuming I did.

I hate to say it, but if you want a social life in the US you'd better be able to fake liking to drink.
I'd rather be a loner than hang around drug pushers. That "better be able" is a forced option, giving in to something one would rather not do. I'm smarter than that so it's an easy choice for me to make.

I only have a few microbrews per year and I haven't had any of the hard stuff in over 25 years. Most of the time when I go out I do not drink. This pressure and "fake" stuff is college like. If I can't be social with mature people I will opt out. Every adult has that option. No matter the situation no one is going to force me to do anything I do not want to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 06:38 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
I have never felt pressured to drink. When I was younger, I did my share. But as I matured, I realized that I didn't like the feeling of not being in control.

I usually order a Tonic with a twist. If someone would be so crass as to insist that I "have a real drink", I make no apology or explanation. If that doesn't do it, I absent myself from their company.

Life's way too short to hang out with people who don't respect you. There are plenty of people in "society" who do.

Old 02-01-2015, 07:28 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,630,500 times
I hear you O.P. Wife and I don't drink either. Unlike you though, we just don't frequent places that serve, or mainly serve, drinks. Hang around mostly with non-drinkers. Wife's side of family drinks, but they don't pressure us. Neither of us care to be around drinkers that act silly, or aggressive "when alcohol is added". We both have had to deal with too much of that in our lives. Both prior military, need I say more? Plus have both worked occupations (NOT in restaurants/clubs/bars) where we came into regular contact with intoxicated individuals.

Old 02-01-2015, 07:29 AM

419 posts, read 1,238,194 times
I am not a big drinker, mostly because I try to stay in shape and alcohol would make me fat.

My usual line when asked why I am not drinking is "I am allergic to alcohol, I break out in handcuffs" That line always works for me.

Old 02-01-2015, 08:28 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,321,984 times
Because they think just because alcohol is legal that it's okay. It's a drug, just like cocaine is a drug (obviously, they have different effect).

They don't mind increasing the risk of getting arrested (public intoxication, DUI/DWI, disorderly conduct, etc.), ruining their family, or losing their jobs (sometimes careers depending on what field).

Old 02-01-2015, 08:53 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,256,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
So true, remember a friend from high school getting freaking angry over me not drinking in college because he drove down to "share a beer with his buddy." Neither of us drank in high school so why am I the bad guy for being the same person I always was.

Or another friend whose boyfriend tried to fight me at a party because I told him I didn't drink when he brought another beer up assuming I did.

I hate to say it, but if you want a social life in the US you'd better be able to fake liking to drink.
True to some extent, but mostly when you're young. The older you get, the less you will care how others perceive you. Most people on their deathbed regret not living the life they wanted but instead living the life others wanted them to. This is one such example.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:09 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
My husband and I do not drink.

I have found when we go to trade shows and business meetings........if a walk around with a glass of OJ......they stop constantly asking me if I want a drink.

They think I have one.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:18 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,719,216 times
Why does society pressure us to do anything?

One of the hardest things for a person to do, is doing what it is they truly want to do. There are a lot of people who want to fit in, be popular and have a lot of connections. I see this more among the younger population but old habits die hard. I get a lot of crap for not really conforming to what my peers consider "normal." I am pretty introverted and reserved person. I am not into drinking, smoking, wild parties, casual sex, etc.

It gets rough for me because it results in me being alone which isn't a problem in of itself, I just think too much and tend to be more on the negative side. My point is....you should stick to your own beliefs and try to find what it is that makes you happy. Spending time being concerned about other people and what they're doing will only make you feel crappy and unsatisfied with your life. It is difficult, but it can be done.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:58 AM

607 posts, read 1,393,441 times
You know, I think we all dealt with peer pressure when we were, I don't know, 15? But @ 29 and still dealing with "adults" who are applying peer pressure? I think it's time for them to grow up.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:20 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
When I tell people I'm a 29 year old guy who doesn't drink, they're left with a look of dismay.

It's not as if I haven't tried them -- I just wasn't born with the taste buds for alcohol. Some of my family members as well as my wife's have questioned why I don't drink, and a few have applied pressure at social gatherings to take a sip or two.

After reminding them I don't drink countless times, either it's not getting through to them, they think I'm lying, or they're relentless in their quest to turn me into one of them.

My wife doesn't drink either.

What's more, many of these people become flat-out silly when they get plastered. It makes us feel really uncomfortable. This has happened twice in recent months-- at my wife's bachelorette dinner and at a recent Christmas get together.

Why is there so much "peer pressure" to drink? Does it make drinkers feel that uncomfortable when a person chooses to remain sober? Does not drinking make you a party pooper in people's eyes? Why is it more acceptable to not eat certain foods than it is to not drink?
I used to drink, a lot, when I was younger. All my friends still do, but I don't. One, particular, close, friend, doesn't get it. He can't seem to socialize without alcohol. In our relationship, to him, its like a ritual of some kind. Like getting plowed is some kind of cement, that is a defining part of our friendship.

However, I can't even stand the smell of booze anymore, never mind how it makes me feel, especially when I wake up after having drank. But, my being thus is not an issue anymore. Its just who I am now, and my friends, my real friends, just accept me as I am.

Pressuring someone who doesn't drink to imbibe is wrong, and why they don't drink is their business, not open to criticism, from anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology