Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 02:07 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,363,311 times

Advertisements

Well, a few things that help me through sad times:

Give yourself permission to be sad. But, set a limit. Like, I give myself permission to be depressed and be a slob on Saturday and not get dressed or even brush my teeth and to order pizza and drink wine and just watch movies all day. But, I also promise myself that on Sunday, I will look into programs that will help me get rid of some of my student loans. Oh yeah, and on Sunday I also promise to at least brush my teeth and get dressed :-)

I love candles. Walmart carries some little ones in a jar for only $1.00. They are cheap and I find them calming. I tease that my candle is my fireplace (which I don't have).

A counselor once told me that instead of saying "I'm having a bad day," to change it to "I'm having a bad morning," or "I'm having a bad afternoon." It's just a mind game, but it leaves the possibility that the rest of the day could improve.

And, you can defer those student loans for a long time. Just don't default on them, and there are all kinds of deferments and forbearances, and when you exhaust those, there's another option that's an income-based deferment that can go on forever, basically. I know because I became disabled, and because of my income, I don't have to make any payments on my student loan debt. I just prove every year how much I make, and if it goes up to a certain amount, I'd have to start making payments again. And in the meantime, they look great on my credit report, because they say I'm in good standing.

Change takes time. But, if you keep moving forward, you'll get to a better place. Take time to be good to yourself, even if it's just to buy some candles or take a bubble bath or go to a matinee (cheaper), or just give yourself permission to be depressed - for a limited time.

I thought I'd never be able to find affordable housing. But, I finally just started filling out applications and getting on waiting lists, and eventually I got to the top of a list, and was able to move. It didn't happen overnight, but it did happen after 6 months of working on it a little almost every day. I told myself I'd fill out an application every day, or make a phone call or something - every day.

So, after you have your pizza, candle, wine, video day of depression (grin) maybe you could make a deal with yourself that you will do something every day towards getting a job that you'd like.

I used to hate it when people would tell me to cheer up, when I didn't want to hear that. So, I'm hear to tell you - go for it! Feel depressed! But, only for one day. Then, start doing one chore every day to get a job you'd like.

You didn't get your master's degree in a day. The job will take time, too. But, it will happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 02:55 AM

282 posts, read 446,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I'm around 100K in student loan debt. I have a master's in Education and am still working as a substitute teacher. I'm very lonely, but I don't even attempt socializing outside of work and structured activities, usually, because it's easy to make mistakes and make people mad, at least that's what I keep telling myself. It feels like everyone has some kind of magic formula for living life that I haven't figured out. No one cares about me, either. They think that because I have a degree it should be easy to find work or that maybe I'm not trying hard enough. I feel like I majored in the wrong field, but I don't have enough money to go back and do something about it.

I also graduated, so I'm going to have to look for another counselor. Life stinks sometimes.
Probably best to move to Europe out of reach of the American Thieves. I'm not bashing America. I am bashing the thieves of the US Department of Robbery ("Education").

I highly recommend to move to Europe out of reach and give the US Department of Education the big middle finger. Take your $100K you saved and buy a house or something. In Europe.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:33 AM

7,985 posts, read 5,354,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I doubt I can even get past the interview process. Nothing has worked. They've had openings in this area, but I didn't get the job.
That sucks. I have a son in the same situation. He does not have that much debt, but some. It is difficult and discouraging to not get past an interview process. It is heart breaking to watch.

Master's in Education--that is something. Are you adventurous? Peace Corps? Teaching English abroad?

I agree with the other poster and say delete social media. I think it can be damaging to the psyche. People "only" post the good things that are going on in their lives.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:06 AM
mzd

419 posts, read 885,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Suggestions have been made for you.

But one thing you want to do is not spend more time whining on the internet that you do in exploring your options for work and seeking relief from student loans.
OP - You have received countless suggestions over the last few months, from joining Toastmasters to how to redesign your website to which computer languages to learn. I wonder if you have acted on any of them.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:48 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,502,392 times
Have you thought about teaching English in Japan, or South Korea? My ex-BIL did the same, many years ago, in Costa Rica. I have always wished that I had done this.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:54 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,986,625 times
My granddaughter 2nd grade teacher was sick and the substitute told her she didn't like her!
Don't be like this person because she is old,mean and a liar when confronted maybe this is why she is a permanent substitute.
This is what I do not want my grandchildren to be subjected too a unionized rabble of unhappy people who take their frustrations of life out on little impressionable minds to make themselves feel powerful.
Empower your students and show understanding because those little ones might be hurting inside too having a bad day and a good teacher can make a difference in their life.
So be happy put your problems aside and focus on your goals take satisfaction in your abilities to mold young minds into responsible productive members of society.I never knew anyone in the teaching profession who did it to get rich it was the joy of teaching that enriched them.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:25 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,246,571 times
Find an adventure to pursue and JUST DO IT! Lots of great suggestions here!

As for your debt - eat that elephant one bite at a time. Dave Ramsey has some great financial advise.

Think about joining a church. If you want anonymity, join a mega church then once you feel more comfortable, get into a smaller group. Plus big churches have a lot of resources like counselling, classes, etc. Not to mention networking - wait.... I just mentioned networking, didn't I?

Old 02-09-2015, 12:08 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,562,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Find an adventure to pursue and JUST DO IT! Lots of great suggestions here!

As for your debt - eat that elephant one bite at a time. Dave Ramsey has some great financial advise.

Think about joining a church. If you want anonymity, join a mega church then once you feel more comfortable, get into a smaller group. Plus big churches have a lot of resources like counselling, classes, etc. Not to mention networking - wait.... I just mentioned networking, didn't I?
I would love to do that. Right now, I go to a small church, and I'm not happy. It's just not meeting some of my emotional needs.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:14 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,562,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
My granddaughter 2nd grade teacher was sick and the substitute told her she didn't like her!
Don't be like this person because she is old,mean and a liar when confronted maybe this is why she is a permanent substitute.
This is what I do not want my grandchildren to be subjected too a unionized rabble of unhappy people who take their frustrations of life out on little impressionable minds to make themselves feel powerful.
Empower your students and show understanding because those little ones might be hurting inside too having a bad day and a good teacher can make a difference in their life.
So be happy put your problems aside and focus on your goals take satisfaction in your abilities to mold young minds into responsible productive members of society.I never knew anyone in the teaching profession who did it to get rich it was the joy of teaching that enriched them.
I try to be happy, but I'm just tired of this place. I'm tired of being underappreciated; I'm a talented young professional, but no one seems to care. Those kids treat me like a second-class citizen. The teachers ignore me. Principals overlook me. I don't really know anyone my own age who doesn't already have kids and a family; I don't want one, but our lives and priorities are different.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:49 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,842,964 times
I dont think there is much we are able to help you feel better. You have to want it and go inside and look for what you need, and make it happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology