Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 05:10 AM

5,363 posts, read 3,541,992 times

Advertisements

I have lived alone for many years in the past, "lonely" does not appear in my vocabulary, bored sometimes but never lonely. some people NEED others around them, some do not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 11:16 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,838,709 times
Actually, my guess is that many older folks get very tired of people in general, and just want to be left alone. They're happier with the companionship of a pet than they are with people. Who can blame them, people are often a real pain.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:07 AM

69 posts, read 73,006 times
I feel like that commercial where the cowboy says "I'm a loner and loners gotta be alone". I have a life partner who is essentially my only friend by choice. We truly enjoy each other's company and have done so for almost 30 years. He's an extrovert and I'm an introvert and understands that there are times when I just need to be "alone". Cause you know, "I'm a loner and loners gotta be alone".

Old 03-20-2015, 06:48 PM

356 posts, read 363,518 times
@bigpaul Feel the same way...@ tommytipover feel the same so far I haven't met someone else like that...maybe one day I too will have a best friend.

Old 03-20-2015, 06:54 PM

93 posts, read 177,345 times
Default Huh...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlasphemer View Post
I say no. The older you get, the more imminent your death becomes, the idea of spending an eternity alone in death makes the emptiness in life increasingly worse.
Curious thought

Old 03-20-2015, 06:58 PM

356 posts, read 363,518 times
I just think it's best for me to start fresh some where else...and meet new people. Been cutting off people for the last few years( family and old friends) it's time for a change.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:40 PM

865 posts, read 1,070,981 times
I have no friends and no romantic relationship as I have very poor social skills and suffer from Avoidant Personality Disorder. I used to be OK this way, but the spectre of loneliness casts a dark shadow over all of my days. I hate living. The rest of my life isn't working out any better, so I'm not sure whether it would be bearable if I were successful in other aspects of life.

Old 03-21-2015, 03:26 AM

11,558 posts, read 11,991,359 times
The variety of responses validate the difference in people and choices. Some enjoy being alone, others require more social interaction.

Living one's life in a way that's right for them is the key instead of continually trying to living your life based upon what other people think.

As far as being lonely, the worse kind of loneliness is being lonely while being with another person.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:19 PM

39 posts, read 56,663 times
People are put on this earth for each other. Some are meant to give, some to take, some to nurture, some to kill. It's the balance of nature, so to speak.

Life presents situations that alter your perspective on things so you shift your importance. 'Things' become less important and people become more important, but you carefully and sometimes without realizing, weed out those who have no interest in your life, or you in theirs. You welcome and leave your heart open to those you love because you realize that it is truly love that matters. But you give it cautiously.

I think it's okay for people to be alone but as we age, we need someone. Not necessarily to marry or live with, but a true friend to talk about aging with, to talk about losing our parents and that our children are now grown and have started their own lives with their own families and what do we do now? I, like many of you, do not have that person. I wish I did.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:18 AM

8,012 posts, read 8,168,266 times
I think with threads like this is that far too many people project their own feelings onto others. They can't seem accept the fact that people are different and not everyone needs a lot of people or even close relationships with others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology