U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 02-20-2015, 06:47 AM
 
Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,864 posts, read 9,762,724 times
Reputation: 6653

Advertisements

Apocalyptic movements and Doomsday cults, they keep re-appearing again and again.…Y2k, 2012, Branch Davidians, Heaven's Gate, the Rapture & End Times, Preppers, Obama as the AntiChrist, Islamic Armageddon, etc., etc..

What's the psychology behind these sorta groups… what makes them so attractive & recurring even in modern times, and do you think there's a particular type of person that they tend to attract?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-20-2015, 11:05 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
17,962 posts, read 11,701,984 times
Reputation: 33738
I don't know but I often wonder too about these shows, where people get SO EXCITED telling us all about how the world will be destroyed. It's almost like they just can't wait for the end. It's weird.

My husband likes to fantasize about some kind of apocalypse, he grew up on dystopian films like Mad Max type stuff and I know what's up with it in his situation. He has largely failed to meet the expectations of success in the civilian world. He could not settle to one profession, build on it, and retire from it. He hopped from one thing to the next. He doesn't understand people and social expectation very well. But he prides himself on his survival skills and knowledge of things about defense and improvising survival solutions. I think that a lot of guys who spent years in the military wind up having trouble adapting to what is normal and expected outside of it, at least that may be a part of it.

Me...I want nothing to do with the end of normal society. I function well in the world I live in and am not interested in hiding out up in the hills or surviving any kind of apocalypse. No thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2015, 02:43 PM
 
Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,864 posts, read 9,762,724 times
Reputation: 6653
^ ^ Good point re: the "Mad Max" angle. After all, where else besides the military or law enforcement (which both still have 'rules'), and the total anarchy of an apocalypse, are you left to your own devices to dispense life, death and 'justice' at the end of a gun, and survive based mainly on your own skill & wits?

Kinda like the quote from the movie "Fight Club"…. "It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything!"
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2015, 03:44 PM
 
7,228 posts, read 6,521,505 times
Reputation: 12265
The illusion of control.

Same thing with the kinds of people who believe the dead children in Sandy Hook and the Boston Marathon were actors.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2015, 04:52 PM
 
Location: Louisville KY
4,662 posts, read 5,042,547 times
Reputation: 4085
I'd love a dystopian future, I'd run this city with the largest territory, have the most bad ass vehicles, and weapons. It would be my group that keeps things like water and elctricy going. I would be somebody.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2015, 01:39 AM
 
902 posts, read 1,100,890 times
Reputation: 1289
Humans are tragic. Since we don't have to worry about lions eating us, if we'll find a decent meal today out in the wild, or if our water source is tainted, we create new 'worries'. It's what we're designed to do. How boring would this world be if we didn't?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2015, 05:50 AM
 
Location: Home
93 posts, read 87,938 times
Reputation: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Apocalyptic movements and Doomsday cults, they keep re-appearing again and again.…Y2k, 2012, Branch Davidians, Heaven's Gate, the Rapture & End Times, Preppers, Obama as the AntiChrist, Islamic Armageddon, etc., etc..

What's the psychology behind these sorta groups… what makes them so attractive & recurring even in modern times, and do you think there's a particular type of person that they tend to attract?
The only reason i can think of why someone might want the world to end is simply because they do not like the way the current world is. going out to actually change the world is too much hard work but creating an end world date is easy, it gives people a feeling of hope, which i suppose is like a drug to some. i think that the majority of people attracted to such groups are from the lower working class.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
My husband likes to fantasize about some kind of apocalypse, he grew up on dystopian films like Mad Max type stuff and I know what's up with it in his situation. He has largely failed to meet the expectations of success in the civilian world. He could not settle to one profession, build on it, and retire from it. He hopped from one thing to the next. He doesn't understand people and social expectation very well. But he prides himself on his survival skills and knowledge of things about defense and improvising survival solutions. I think that a lot of guys who spent years in the military wind up having trouble adapting to what is normal and expected outside of it, at least that may be a part of it.
That makes sense.

Those that lack the right qualities to be a success in our current way of life, but have the perfect set of qualities (skills, talents, attitude etc.) for an apocalyptic way of life would indeed be wishing for an apocalypse to happen so that they could finally put their skills to use and finally be a success in the world.

While those that have the perfect qualities (such as social and business skills) for our current way of life, but lack the right qualities for an apocalyptic way of life would indeed be wishing for an apocalypse to NEVER happen, for if it did, they would not survive.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2015, 06:27 AM
PDD
 
Location: The Sand Hills of NC
8,773 posts, read 17,140,727 times
Reputation: 11970
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Apocalyptic movements and Doomsday cults, they keep re-appearing again and again.…Y2k, 2012, Branch Davidians, Heaven's Gate, the Rapture & End Times, Preppers, Obama as the AntiChrist, Islamic Armageddon, etc., etc..

What's the psychology behind these sorta groups… what makes them so attractive & recurring even in modern times, and do you think there's a particular type of person that they tend to attract?
Similar to those who believe that when they die they are going to a better place. I don't get that either.
I guess it's group brain washing, if enough people believe then it must be true.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2015, 08:45 AM
 
Location: Cape Coma Florida
1,369 posts, read 2,134,410 times
Reputation: 2943
Seems to me it's about the power and sexual options the survivors would have. A guy could set himself up as a warlord, dictator over a territory, corn-pone Nazi, whatever, and have all the women and weapons he wants while calling all the shots and feeling like a big man... at last. Societal controls would vanish, and the aspiring strong-man could impose whatever rules he wished.

It's a popular fantasy among certain types of men for that reason.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2015, 12:50 PM
 
10,379 posts, read 6,556,634 times
Reputation: 28951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leizar View Post
Those that lack the right qualities to be a success in our current way of life, but have the perfect set of qualities (skills, talents, attitude etc.) for an apocalyptic way of life would indeed be wishing for an apocalypse to happen so that they could finally put their skills to use and finally be a success in the world.

While those that have the perfect qualities (such as social and business skills) for our current way of life, but lack the right qualities for an apocalyptic way of life would indeed be wishing for an apocalypse to NEVER happen, for if it did, they would not survive.
I suspect most of those who THINK they have the skills to survive, will be among the first to go. They get an image from movies of they can be the warlord. Reality is it will be about farming, raising food, preserving food, making clothes, etc. Even skills like blacksmithing, woodworking will be needed.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top