Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 12:39 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times

Advertisements

^ ^ Dunno why that would offend you? Although gotta luv the way narcissists can't seem to resist
"self-identifying" whenever even the subject comes up ("what, somebody talking about me?")!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 12:55 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,465,188 times
you should be happy they just deleted your comment

For whatever reason people post all sorts of hot button stuff to facebook, much more so than they would talk about it in real life. Many really go hog wild with political or religious crap, for instance.

If some guest of mine never shut up about every political story they saw on television, or blasted me with bible banger propaganda at a dinner party. I would just never invite them back. In fact, that is how most blowhards were dealt with in the past... they just found themselves never invited to anything.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:59 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,910,055 times
Facebook = Fake book

And Facebook has been hiding the fact that in the last 18-24 months despite an increase in whatever it defines as 'users' that the platform is in fact not really growing in a real or genuine way.

People with professional careers and actual lives are starting to find out that having a profile that has as much potential exposure as Facebook can be a liability in every aspect of their lives.

In some states, family court judges are allowed to request a parent's Facebook profile and password. Privacy rights are being violated behind users backs by governments that want to see what is going on: in the absence of a crime having determined to have been committed.

I miss the good old days of when if you had some pictures you wanted to share with friends, you used a site like Photobucket and shared the link in an email with everyone.

Facebook won't meet a similar fate as Myspace, but the decline in real users will be noticeable at some point. And it is important to note: despite Facebook's stock price, the 'value' of it is based on potential that has yet to be realized and may never be realized. The Catch-22 with a site like Facebook is that in order for that form of social media to be profitable enough to justify it's current stock price, it would have to make money in ways that would ultimately drive it's users away in the end.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:00 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,276,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
It sounds like you went a little hyper-ballistic on someone else's page and they didn't like that you publicly tried to make them look foolish, so they deleted it. If you're rude in the future, they'll probably just delete you altogether.

Seems reasonable.
^

This.

You've been able to delete things since the start of FB. It's "your page" after all.

I don't see it going on anymore today than 5 years ago.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:06 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
He He He! ...

The REALITY of what I SAW is that other people (than myself) post things, then the owner of the page (not me either!) deletes what was said because they don't like it.
Why on Earth would this be a problem? Who even cares? Who are you, the FB post police? Relax. People have the right to edit their own pages.

Jeez. Obsessing over trivia, much?

Old 03-29-2015, 03:01 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,942,090 times
Here's a list of the 15 most popular social networks:

Top 15 Most Popular Social Networking Sites | March 2015

If none of those fit your criteria, you can create one yourself and set your own rules:

MARKETING ACTUARY: STARTING YOUR OWN PRIVATE SOCIAL NETWORK: NING 3.0 BEATS SOCIALGO AND GROU.PS

It will cost you, but if you google "monetize ning" you can probably make enough to pay for the monthly fees.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:06 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
What is this "deleting what other people have to say" on Facebook thing?

If people don't like what someone else says, they delete what the other person wrote!

Is this not living in a world of "fantasy"? Not facing reality? I should think these people are going to have a difficult time later on in life...

-A judge in a court tells them something they don't like, will they delete that?
-A doctor tells them they have cancer - delete what the doctor said?
-Someone sends a bill for services - throw it in the trash?
-Etc.

These people are manufacturing a "false reality" or an environment of "fantasy". That is not very healthy if you ask me!

So someone chooses to delete something on their own facebook page, big deal.
It's mostly poo spewing anyway.

Does this affect you in some form or fashion? Did it hurt your feelings? Does it interfere with you living your daily life? Is it your facebook page that had things deleted? Did this cause anguish and anxiety for you?

If not, who cares.
If it caused any of the above, seek professional therapy to understand why you allowed this situation to bother you so much.

Stay off of facebook, problem solved and much cheaper than paying a therapist.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:46 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
Quote:
What is this "deleting what other people have to say" on Facebook thing?

If people don't like what someone else says, they delete what the other person wrote!

Is this not living in a world of "fantasy"? Not facing reality? I should think these people are going to have a difficult time later on in life...

-A judge in a court tells them something they don't like, will they delete that?
-A doctor tells them they have cancer - delete what the doctor said?
-Someone sends a bill for services - throw it in the trash?
-Etc.

These people are manufacturing a "false reality" or an environment of "fantasy". That is not very healthy if you ask me!
One reason I don't "do" facebook...is that anyone can make any comments they like or post any pics they like with any caption they like.
And Manipulate things while they are at it.

For instance, I have a friend who was VERY upset a "friend" of his who is a drunkard posted a pic of my friend stating he "was at my house{the drunkard's house} and was partying like an animal" in such a way as to Lead one to believe my friend was drinking at this "get together" too. He was disappointed and disgusted as he rearely drinks. And there was really "no party".

I think Facebook is a detriment to our society, in those ways.

This site is aS "social media" as I get...I don't twit either.

I don't see myself {or MOH for that matter} "doing" facebook ever. ANd you can't make me/us.
Nah nah nah nah!

Old 03-29-2015, 03:55 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,942,090 times
In defense of Facebook ... neither I nor any of my friends or family post destructive pictures of other people, and most of the exchanges have to do with family activities, friends, church, movies and books and various shared interests. None of the people I know are into crime, violence, posting sexual stuff, or playing head games. If you don't want someone in your Facebook stream, unfriend them.

I have reconnected via Facebook with my best friend from grade school (in the 1950s), my high school class (via my class's page), and subscribe to a page where people share stories of the town where I grew up. I've reconnected with a few family members through FB. I also have various business Facebook pages I subscribe to.

So it all comes down to how you use it, and the quality of your "friends" on Facebook. It's just a tool, and can be used to bring people closer together, or tear them apart. Which it does is up to you.

Old 03-29-2015, 04:16 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
I use facebook so I can see my grandnephew and niece as they grow up, as we live on the other side of the country. I use facebook to look at the adorable doggie stuff an old classmate shares. I post about the newest quilt I'm making, to reply to friends as they share news....good and bad.

But -- when Doctor Phil does show after show about Facebook drama, and Facebook fights and facebook negativity causing people to kill themselves..... well -- some things never change.

I can remember when I was little, we had party line phones. You shared a line with 3 other "parties", which could include businesses. I was amazed when we got to share a line with the lady who owned the little corner grocery. She was a horrible gossip and was on the phone CONSTANTLY, yapping on and on about EVERYONE. And it was all very nasty stuff... and I mean -- how did she know any of it? My mom watched me like a hawk when it circulated around to the gossip lady again, so I wouldn't be exposed to any of that nastiness...because I couldn't keep my trap shut and was too young to know that people lie.

And people have been killing themselves for all sorts of reasons including bullying forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology