Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 04:54 PM

4,186 posts, read 3,399,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
What is this "deleting what other people have to say" on Facebook thing?

If people don't like what someone else says, they delete what the other person wrote!

Is this not living in a world of "fantasy"? Not facing reality? I should think these people are going to have a difficult time later on in life...

-A judge in a court tells them something they don't like, will they delete that?
-A doctor tells them they have cancer - delete what the doctor said?
-Someone sends a bill for services - throw it in the trash?
-Etc.

These people are manufacturing a "false reality" or an environment of "fantasy". That is not very healthy if you ask me!

If it's MY page, I'll delete whatever I please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 05:11 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,430,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
If it's MY page, I'll delete whatever I please.

Definitely that^^!!

Old 03-29-2015, 05:19 PM

324 posts, read 427,435 times
What was the nature of your comment?

I've deleted comments before that I thought were offensive, or thought might be offensive to people I'm friends with. I've seen others do the same as well in those situations.

Old 03-29-2015, 05:47 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
This thread is yet another reason that I have resisted my family and friends' constant haranguing to join Facebook and the like. I remain happily free of FB and Google+.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:20 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,878,577 times
Why should people allow things they don't like on their page?

Old 03-29-2015, 08:54 PM

465 posts, read 613,638 times
I deleted someones comment once. She was an idiot and had been spewing all sorts of dumb statements. She then attacked others comments and it all stemmed from the idiot completely misinterpreting the facebook status to begin with. I deleted her to save her from herself. She later ended up unfriending all of us related to her by blood and by name because her idiocy continued on someones else status update. Facebook fight between her and the poster and we had some good laughs at her expense. Sometimes some people just need to be deleted.

I agree about facebook and narcissists. I have always suspected a few people who thought highly of themselves and facebook confirms it. Numerous posts on just about anything daily. I also think some people like to post and expect nothing but praise and when they don't get that they delete the comments. I suspect someone I know does that. I post maybe once every two months and really it's just to update whats going on with kids or life or travels and include pictures.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:03 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,216,536 times
Someone help me here. I am a very light FB user of many years. I post a pic or update 1 or 2 times per month on average.

I woman I know is a hardcore user of FB - probably 10 posts per day, brags, pics of breakfast, pictures of her feet in slippers while drinking coffee, emotional outbursts, etc. Its been going on since we made accounts around 2007-ish. That's fine, thats what she and I enjoy; different user styles for different people.

Anyways, about 8 times per year she posts about how she is deleting people's comments on her post and if "they don't like what I have to say, they can post on their own wall! I am the QUEEN of my wall!" This is usually following a political or religious post and usually ends with her unfriending people and blocking them, announcing that if they don't like her opinions, they are now blocked and don't have to read them anymore.

Here is what I don't understand, and I see other people on this thread acting like this, like they are entitled to post whatever they want and reactions are deemed unacceptable and can be deleted at will:

If you are posting something on "your wall" you know the intent of the post is for it to show up on everyone's newsfeed. If she does not want anyone to respond, why is she posting statements on the public newsfeed of 300 people? When she proclaims that she is the "Queen of her wall" is she also the Queen of 300 people's newsfeeds also, allowed to spew whatever she wants while allowing no one to respond to their newsfeed and deleting their comments? No one is going to her page and posting anything, they are responding to a public conversation that she started on a public newsfeed. I personally think it is a massive power/control trip. She has been doing this for years, and it boggles my mind.

Opinions?

PS: (I know the whole FB drama thing brings out the 10 year old in some adults, it's just interesting to figure out what makes some people tick when you see how they operate on social media)

Old 03-30-2015, 06:38 AM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
Why should people allow things they don't like on their page?
This^^. I am completely free to remove any comments I feel are inappropriate, and I would expect anyone else to do the exact same thing. I don't even understand the OP's confusion on this.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:31 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,663,923 times
Umm . . . it's Facebook. Who cares what someone does with their page? People edit their pages all the time -- they choose the fun pictures that show them having a wonderful time on vacations, they un-tag unflattering pictures others post of them, etc. etc. Why on earth would you think twice about how someone else manages their own page?

Old 03-30-2015, 07:45 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,940,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ve View Post
If she does not want anyone to respond, why is she posting statements on the public newsfeed of 300 people? When she proclaims that she is the "Queen of her wall" is she also the Queen of 300 people's newsfeeds also, allowed to spew whatever she wants while allowing no one to respond to their newsfeed and deleting their comments? No one is going to her page and posting anything, they are responding to a public conversation that she started on a public newsfeed. I personally think it is a massive power/control trip. She has been doing this for years, and it boggles my mind.

Opinions?
If you have X% of the general population with a mental disorder, you're likely to see a similar percentage in an online community whose members are representative of the general population (except for communities whose nature tends to attract or repel people with that disorder).

A medium like FB is going to be a great place for individuals with personality features that cause them to crave attention, like narcissistic and histrionic personaliities. More avoidant or asocial types are going to tend to stay away from communities like FB ... Or City Data forums, for that matter.

As has been noted, if you don't like what someone is doing on FB, unfriend them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology