Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 01:39 PM

8,012 posts, read 8,183,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crf450ish View Post
Hmm actually no not at all materialistic. Greedy? DUH! Who doesn't have a greedy streak in them? Theres nothing wrong with having a proactive and goal oriented motivated attitude towards life. And it most certainly is my business of actions and lifestyle choices of others when those people choose to be slugs and non contributing members of society who look to the tax payers to subsidize their lazy, non motivated lifestyle.
I always here this complaint of all of these people who are living off the dole and I always think to myself how much of the population is really living off of taxpayer's dollars. I don't think in my near 30 years of existence I have met any one my age or younger living off the system and the people I have met who do were well into to Social Security and retirement age or had some sort of disability. It seems this is a constant excuse by people who simply need to find a reason to be angry about how others live there lives even though it really doesn't effect them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 10:29 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,181,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintersbone View Post
im 35 my lack of drive is that I get no benefit to working harder.The people who move up are the ones who kiss upper managements behind to do it.
Ain't this the truth. I told my parents that installing intergrity and a work ethic into me was a mistake - it has been a career deterrent and I'll always be a loser because of it.

I'm always confused why the highers up dont see that there are no result from the kiss-assers. That and the ones Ive worked with drive away their competent workforce - yet they keep getting promoted. Baffles me.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:50 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,181,497 times
Quote:
Thats because the parents allow themselves to be relied on. If they cut the umbilical cord, kids would probably be more inclined to buck up and take charge. Allot of parents these days are enablers. Retarted if you ask me
I think there is truth in this. I knew I had to make my way after school, and I did. I knew I would never get a handout from my parents, even if I were starving and homeless (due to my own actions). My parents also prepared me at a young age to be self sufficient - it wasnt a new instant message that I suddenly had to learn to live on my own. Sometimes things were hard and I did without - it is weird so many people I know think they should never have to struggle EVER and work for things.

I watch the enabler parents on Intervention I gotta think that is part of the problem for addicts as well. Their discomfort is lessened and likely their potential jail time as a result. Not much incentive to be a productive member of society.

Drive or not, if I want a roof over my head and to eat, I must play the game. I show up, get the job done, and am respectful to those in charge. Doesnt matter how I feel about it or what I think.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:31 AM

13,139 posts, read 22,752,235 times
Quote:
Forgive me for my bad grammar.

I am 27 years old, graduated high school at 17 years old in 2005. I have always held a job since age 17, or about half way through my senior year. I had a low paying, albeit steady job while I did my 4 year trade apprenticeship in the boilermakers union. Now I have my own family and a house etc and am happy to say I got myself here through dedication and hard work and not giving up. I was always taught If i wanted something I had to earn it. I was never allowed to just give up. I was never allowed to skip school. I think these core things have attributed to my overall success. BUT I also know people who had the same things growing up and it seems like their lifestyle now is just like whatever. Its irritating knowing that the majority of my generation is so dysfunctional, if functional at all. Im just seeking to find what is going on here or at least devise a theory. It seems as if theres a massive inability to learn from other peoples mistakes, and to shift ones own lifestyle in order to increase chances of success. I see allot of people doing the same things over and over and over and over expecting things to change and getting let down and depressed because their still in the same situation. A severe lack of dedication and focus. My generation also wants it all and they want it now. I used to be the same way until I actually received the fruits of my hard work over the course of time. My perspective began to change and I started to understand how the world really works. I do apologize if i sound judgmental, Im in no way judging people who are in the predicaments that is no fault of their own. I do have an excellent example. A friend of mine spent his high school years getting in and out of trouble always skipping which eventually led to him dropping out his senior year. He my age. Until recently (6 months) he's never had a real job that actually paid and offered benefits. For him its always been about working so he can get this car, or this or that and then he either gets sick of working and quits or the work runs dry and he doesn't go looking for more work thus becoming seriously broke and literally freeloading off of his parents and friends. He's never had a decent car(mechanically decent, forget looks) and always wore crappy clothes. Meanwhile he would observe me "coming up" in life. I have asked him if it ever bothered him and made him jealous or motivated him that he sees me doing good, he always either avoided the question or admitted that it was just whatever to him. Almost as if this is the hand he was dealt and thats the way it is and its always going to be that way...kind of like a defeated state of mind. Ive always wanted to do better, I've always wanted to prosper and have nice things and be able to live. I realize and understand that I am in total controlof my reality and its 110% up to me to make things happen. I cannot wrap my mind around why allot of people in my age group lack this understanding. Thanks for reading and I hope to learn some different perspectives and gain some insight on this subject.
A lot of the problems facing young adults trying to succeed on their own are in their head(s) but still not necessarily their fault.

Mass media and consumer culture have programmed post-boomer minds since birth to have an unrealistic expectation of what constitutes "a normal life" and trained them to have an insatiable appetite for bigger/better/faster/more of everything.

The deviousness of the programming was to create a legion of adults who were never satisfied and always spending. The architects never cared about the psychological effects of what essentially amounts to widespread selfishness and/or permanent unhappiness.

Anyway, you've gotta deprogram yourself. Get out of fantasyland and into the wider world. Go live in a foreign country or three. Experience life from different perspectives. Learn about different cultures and lifestyles around the globe.

Before long, you'll see the lie for what it is. Even the poor in America live far better than the majority of the planet. A great many things about "The Good Life" aren't actually good at all. TV's definition of success is the wrong definition of success.

Many, many people have wasted their lives chasing dollar bills and ridiculous fantasies that add nothing to life.

Go discover what's REALLY important to a happy human life...

Old 05-05-2015, 06:58 AM

593 posts, read 664,596 times
I feel like I lack drive at times. I'm 27, graduated with top 5% in the nation in accounting, got a job in a fortune 250 company before even graduating but once the real world started I hit a brick wall. Student loans started flowing in, realities of moving up taking years hit me, and i wasn't making enough to much more than skate by. I guess i always imagined post grad life starting off a bit more middle class and a lot less working poor. I get settled in this slump for a while and was comparing myself to my few friends who had done less at school but started further in a career which didn't help. It took me about a year to get over this and now i am focused again and not a robot. I realized in order to move up faster i need to do something b/c nothing is handed to you in the real world. I am now setting myself up for success rather than riding the easy stream through cubicle life.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:32 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,924,061 times
Young adults and new college grads who still need assistance i.e. living with mom and dad to help make ends meet and get ahead, also need to plan for the future. Some become too reliant that they can always just live at home and mom and dad will take care of everything else... well.. one day mom and dad won't be around anymore. What do you do then?

Old 05-05-2015, 07:06 PM

8,012 posts, read 8,183,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
Young adults and new college grads who still need assistance i.e. living with mom and dad to help make ends meet and get ahead, also need to plan for the future. Some become too reliant that they can always just live at home and mom and dad will take care of everything else... well.. one day mom and dad won't be around anymore. What do you do then?
It doesn't sound like you know a lot of recent college grads to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology