Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 02:46 PM

50,710 posts, read 36,411,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Some older children where teasing me about bats coming from an old barn.

A old farmer told me to show him........when I did he said those where just night birds.

I was no longer afraid.....bats still do not bother me.
OMG, you just reminded me of something my mother told me when I was little after we moved in with my grandparents in the country. She told me bats were attracted to blonde hair (I am blonde) and that they could get caught in my hair and I'd have to go to the hospital and get it cut out of my hair. Why on earth would she tell me such a terrifying thing?? Maybe she thought I'd try to befriend one or something. Need to seriously re-think my childhood, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 03:26 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
When was really little my older brother didn't want me to touch the little cactus in a pot on his windowsill (why he cared, I have no idea), so he told me that if someone touched a cactus, they would get warts. He had this plant for years, and I used to go and stare at it and extend my finger toward it....then pull it away.

Old 04-04-2015, 05:15 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,641,738 times
Speaking of Catholic school...

During one religion class the nun was telling us 'we are the body of Christ'. No other explanation (although I understand the term today).

I remember thinking 'geez, I hope I'm not part of his penis!'

Whenever I hear that term, which is not very often, it reminds me of that thought.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:02 PM

21,530 posts, read 8,716,437 times
Back in the 1950s when I was a little girl, my older brother told me that when you listened to pop songs on the radio you could always tell black singers from white singers because the men sounded like women and the women sounded like men.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:11 PM

1,540 posts, read 1,124,513 times
When you hear thunder the angels bowled a strike !!! So my brother & I weren't afraid we actually cheered them on!!

Old 04-04-2015, 06:14 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,065 times
First communion in the Catholic church - the bread is the body of christ, so you can't chew it, because you wouldn't chew Jesus, now would you? I still feel like gagging whenever I think of it....(no surprise that I haven't been to church in 30 years).

Old 04-04-2015, 06:29 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
When I was really little (like 4-5 years old), I overheard my grandma talking with my mom about somebody she knew who was not married who "slept with a boy" and got pregnant. So fast forward to Christmas when all the relatives got together for a party, it was getting late, and the parents put us 4-5 little kids (boys and girls, probably all between 5 - 8) in one room to sleep or lie down or quiet down, cuz we were all getting tired (and probably cranky), but they were not quite ready to call it a night yet. I was suddenly TERRIFIED of falling asleep cuz I remembered my grandma talking about the girl who "slept with a boy" and got pregnant, and I certainly did not want to be pregnant at age 5!

Old 04-04-2015, 07:49 PM

477 posts, read 508,940 times
I thought there was a parched pigeon in that pear tree.

And when a sailor saluted, he stuck his thumb in his eye. That's why he said, "My eye, sir!"

I had visions of the presidential candidates in go carts, getting ready for the presidential race.

I thought Kenny Rogers was singing "You picked a fine time to leave me, Lucille, with 500 children and a crop in the field" - I'd have left him too!

Not about me - but my son - I had him convinced that the line in the song was "Why don't we get drunk and spew".

Old 04-04-2015, 07:53 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times
Great thread...giving me lots of chuckles!

My mom got dentures at a very young age (before I was born), so as a little girl, I thought that being able to take out your teeth was something all grown women could do. I looked forward to being able to do that.

I also was very confused about the season of spring. I had a mental picture of big metal springs growing up all over our yard. I kept waiting for the springs, but it was only flowers that popped up.

After I saw Pinocchio (probably 4-5 years old) I was terrified that a whale was going to come into my bedroom and swallow me up. My big brother actually pulled out a map of the United States, and he showed me where Indiana was, and where the oceans were, and he convinced me that the whales could not get me in Indiana. Now that I think about it, this was the same protective brother who slept on the floor beside my bed one night, because I had seen a horror flick (my one and only, at age 16) and I was terrified to be alone.

Old 04-04-2015, 07:55 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,211,652 times
Default Step on a crack and

... break your mother's back.

Now I know why Grimm's Fairy Tales are politically incorrect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology