Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 01:26 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

My mother used to tell me that if I didn't do <insert whatever she told me to do> she was going to give me away to the Indians. I secretly wanted to go live with the Indians, because I thought they didn't have to go to school. They just ran around and played all day and wore those cool dresses and beads and feathers like you saw on TV. But I did think I'd miss my family.

A real story that seems to be widespread, from reading the Genealogy forum, is that people a few generations back must have told their children that a great-grandmother was an Indian princess. There are all these people out there who believe that they had an Indian great-grandmother, and she is almost always Cherokee.

Now with the advent of DNA, all these people are finding out that they have zero American Indian DNA.

It has to have been a common story that started generations ago and was told enough times that people began to believe it was real.

We always knew our ancestors came from The Netherlands except for the one set of great-grands who came from England. I always thought that was kind of boring and here all my friends were descended from these cool Cherokees. I feel better now, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 01:28 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
My mom thought the same of women who painted their toenails red. I wonder how they came up with these things. Is that what their mom told them?
Well, mom here again ...... they used to do those things in the old days ..... along with a red lantern in the window. They still do that among older hoes and p*mps in Mexico ...... at least they did 20 years ago when I last looked into the matter.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:37 PM

6,813 posts, read 10,510,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My mother used to tell me that if I didn't do <insert whatever she told me to do> she was going to give me away to the Indians. I secretly wanted to go live with the Indians, because I thought they didn't have to go to school. They just ran around and played all day and wore those cool dresses and beads and feathers like you saw on TV. But I did think I'd miss my family.

A real story that seems to be widespread, from reading the Genealogy forum, is that people a few generations back must have told their children that a great-grandmother was an Indian princess. There are all these people out there who believe that they had an Indian great-grandmother, and she is almost always Cherokee.

Now with the advent of DNA, all these people are finding out that they have zero American Indian DNA.

It has to have been a common story that started generations ago and was told enough times that people began to believe it was real.

We always knew our ancestors came from The Netherlands except for the one set of great-grands who came from England. I always thought that was kind of boring and here all my friends were descended from these cool Cherokees. I feel better now, lol.
Yes, I've noticed that. My grandmother told my mom a story about her grandfather being an Osage chief who lived to a ripe old age but his hair never grayed- it was still jet black when he died. So all her life she thought she was part Osage and tried to prove it through records when we were little - and of course when I was able to do the family research and found pictures of this man he was obviously a white man and the DNA shows no Indian ancestry. My sister-in-law believed she had two different tribes' native ancestry from her dad's side and had a slew of stories about these folks, but again DNA showed otherwise. It seems the stories were made up a lot during the first half of the 20th century.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:37 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,636,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
My mom thought the same of women who painted their toenails red. I wonder how they came up with these things. Is that what their mom told them?
I guess to them - red was too sexy a color!

Old 04-06-2015, 01:50 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,822,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
If you eat watermelon seeds, they will start to "sprout" in your ears! I always looked at my ears for a week after eating watermelon.
Just jogged my memories on this....i heard that one too..I bit my nails too and someone told me they were going to stick out of me stomach....

A REAL good one is my babysitter told me that if two people are IN LOVE, THAT makes a baby......Then fast forward to 6th grade in the bathroom I heard two girls talking and found out the real way from them!!!!!

Old 04-06-2015, 02:15 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,641,738 times
Another oldie from my childhood:

If you step on an ant, it will rain.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:14 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,335 times
I started elementary school in the early 90s when the specter of HIV infection loomed large in the public consciousness. Whenever there was blood or vomit from a kid, the teacher would follow a specific procedure to clean up without risking being exposed to anything. Because of that, I was convinced that all body fluids became infected with AIDS once they left the body. I also thought that if you touched any blood or vomit you had a 100% chance of getting AIDS.

Another funny memory is how I used to take swearing very, very seriously. My parents didn't swear, so I was completely unaccustomed to hearing those words. I still remember to this day how utterly shocked I was when a boy dropped his apple in the lunchroom and proclaimed "damn it!" I couldn't believe my innocent little ears that this guy was condemning this poor apple to the fires of hell just for falling on the floor.

For a while I went around proclaiming that a particular high school girl who dated a boy and then a girl must just be doing it for the attention. I have no idea where I got that one--my family was very progressive and so were my friends' families.

Oh, and "you'll wear it out" was a big one in my household, too. Don't click the pen--you'll wear it out. Don't punch random numbers on the calculator--you'll wear it out. Don't open and close the door too much--you'll wear it out. Don't lean against the arms of couch--you'll wear it out. Don't tip back on your chair--you'll wear it out. Don't turn the faucet on and off--you'll wear it out. Don't open the battery compartment on toys--you'll wear it out. Don't open and close the shade--you'll wear it out. I'm sure you get the idea. I grew up thinking that pretty much all consumer goods were incredibly fragile.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:24 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
Haha! I got the "you'll wear it out" speech from my parents too. I think THEY got it from their own parents, who had lived through the Depression and had to save everything and make it last.

When we first got a VCR (a VERY big deal!) my dad wouldn't let us use "pause" because it would allegedly break the machine or break the tape. I remember asking why on earth they would have a pause button on the VCR if it would destroy the tape or the machine. My Dad's answer was simple: so you'll have to buy a new one and they'll make even more money.

He also used to warn me to never hit pause on my cassette players as well, for the same reason. but those belonged to me, so I hit pause whenever I wanted. I have to say, I still have a "boom box" from the early 80s, and it still works just fine, even though I used to hit "pause" all the time.

When I visited my parents recently, Dad has since moved up to a DVD player, but he still insists that no one can hit "pause" because it'll break the disc or the player.

Now, if I had been a little younger, I'd have grown up believing that manufacturers of audio/video equipment only put a Pause button on things as some kind of self-destruct function.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:50 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,214,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Haha! I got the "you'll wear it out" speech from my parents too. I think THEY got it from their own parents, who had lived through the Depression and had to save everything and make it last.

When we first got a VCR (a VERY big deal!) my dad wouldn't let us use "pause" because it would allegedly break the machine or break the tape. I remember asking why on earth they would have a pause button on the VCR if it would destroy the tape or the machine. My Dad's answer was simple: so you'll have to buy a new one and they'll make even more money.

He also used to warn me to never hit pause on my cassette players as well, for the same reason. but those belonged to me, so I hit pause whenever I wanted. I have to say, I still have a "boom box" from the early 80s, and it still works just fine, even though I used to hit "pause" all the time.

When I visited my parents recently, Dad has since moved up to a DVD player, but he still insists that no one can hit "pause" because it'll break the disc or the player.

Now, if I had been a little younger, I'd have grown up believing that manufacturers of audio/video equipment only put a Pause button on things as some kind of self-destruct function.
Lmao. And today we simply have "Planned obsolescence" built into everything.

Old 04-06-2015, 04:12 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,125,377 times
This thread was entertaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Some fat, old guy who lives at the North Pole flies around the world in a sled pulled by reindeer, lands on the roofs of billions of children, slides down chimneys, and delivers billions of toys all in one night.
LOL. I don't think I ever told my parents, but I was totally creeped out by the thought of some old guy knowing when I was bad, when I was sleeping, and then breaking into the house in the middle of the night.

I also heard that spiders were a sign of money (old superstition) so even now I hate to kill them. If it's a really big spider I sic the cat on it. Those are too gross. The small ones I catch on a piece of paper and let outside. It gives everyone else a chuckle. Still waiting for the money...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology