Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 06:16 PM

862 posts, read 1,196,649 times

Advertisements

We have a TV in our breakroom at work. Yesterday at lunch the TV was tuned into MeTV and was showing Hogan's Heroes. A middle aged lady got up from her table and switched the TV to Judge Judy telling everyone in the room that "...sorry but I do not want to live in the past !!". Last week the same woman made a similar comment to another co-worker whose radio that was on her desk was tuned into a local oldies station.

This is not the first time I had seen something like this. A few years ago at the gym all the TV sets were either on the local news, The Simpsons and ESPN that is until one guy had changed the channel and Bonanza had came on. The other folks at the gym demanded for him to change the channel saying such stuff as "OMG...CHANGE THE DAMN CHANNEL..GROW UP !!" and just like the woman at work many were also pointing out that how watching a show such as Bonanza means that they are really living in the past.

I talked to some of my family members about this and they actually agree with those people..my cousin told me "..it's OK to watch I Love Lucy or listen to an Elvis Presley tune every once in awhile but to watch and listen to such stuff every single day and nothing current then it becomes unhealthy.". Agree or disagree ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 07:16 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times
I think these people were just trying to use intimidation to get their way.

If it had been on a new show and they wanted to watch the older one, they might have said something emphasizing the "quality" of the enduring old show that has remained popular, and placing doubts as to the tastes of the new show watchers.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:16 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,707,016 times
Watching Judge Judy is more unhealthy than watching an old rerun from the 60s.

That's garbage tv and its all scripted even though it seems like its not.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:18 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times
On the other hand, while it is good to be able to appreciate older things, it is also good to be able to appreciate newer music as it is happening.

Maybe similar with television, not necessarily reality TV shows, like the court shows. But perhaps newer comedies and dramas on television.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:18 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
Watching old television programs is just that, watching old television programs.
Mr. CSD has the entire series of "The Wild Wild West" from whatever year that was and he loves it but he also appreciates the simplistic value of the program for it's time.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:39 PM

465 posts, read 613,598 times
Never heard such a thing. I don't see why people should care what others watch. As long as it's clean and not offensive with nudity and language (in a public setting).

Old 04-15-2015, 09:09 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,464,733 times
tbh, i hate old TV shows like Bonanza and Hogan's Heroes. I don't think it's living in the past, but it annoys me if I get stuck watching that kind of thing.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:12 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,808,083 times
I find it strange people were finding the old stuff so offensive, ha ha.

I think it's important to watch old shows and movies and listen to old music and read old books. It gives us a peak into the past, shows us what was valuable back then and how our culture has evolved. We can learn from them and be inspired by them. You always hear of artists, authors, singers, actors and other creators talking about who inspired them and most times it was other artists from a generation or two before their time, then they take that influence and create something new and exciting with it. Do yeah, I think it's a good thing to do on occasion.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:20 PM

7,774 posts, read 6,381,525 times
I infuriates me to be trapped in a waiting room or anyplace else with some drivel blaring on a TV. At home I watch what I want and if it is a movie like Key Largo or something of similar vintage, that is my business.

We sometimes recall Hogan's Heroes dubbed into Spanish that we saw in a hotel bar in Central America and chuckle.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:00 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,978,128 times
Disagree.

Some of us just like watching the old stuff, often because the modern stuff is.....well, it isn't to our taste and we don't want to watch it.

In a way, it would be like preferring to go out and see plays or reading a book than watching TV. Isn't that what people did in the past, before TV?

It's just one's preference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology