Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 03:42 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,195,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Understandably. Invincible, nothing will ever happen to me and I know everything about my future, 20 somethings don't tend to purchase insurance.

Heck, most of my 20s I didn't even have renters insurance. I had nothing worth stealing.
Every lease I've had required renters insurance, and I never bought it for the same reason. I still won't buy it. There are so many loopholes about "acts of God" that it's pretty much worthless in the event a tornado flattens a place or something. It's a waste of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 03:45 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,297,939 times
State Farm is selling this:

Isn't it funny what love can do!!!

Last edited by picklejuice; 05-12-2015 at 04:30 PM..

Old 05-12-2015, 03:47 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,446,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Dunno. Every single lease I've ever had has required renters to carry insurance.
It is something becoming more common.

On topic: no I don't feel this in any way mocking single/child free people.
It is pointing out that just becuase you feel it may never happen to you, there is always the possibility.

Aka: it's better to be safe rather than sorry.

Old 05-12-2015, 03:56 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Your problem is that you keep telling people you don't want to get married and have kids! Quit shoving it in people's faces and they'll stop commenting. Most people don't REALLY care anyway and you make yourself an easy target. Instead of feeling the need to argue, engage, or otherwise speak up, just keep a small, knowing smile on your face whenever someone says how THEY'RE gonna get married and have kids. Otherwise I'd say that you're asking for all the attention that you're getting.

Old 05-12-2015, 04:10 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,988,473 times
Gotta be honest...I don't watch TV.

Old 05-12-2015, 04:14 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,702,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Your problem is that you keep telling people you don't want to get married and have kids! Quit shoving it in people's faces and they'll stop commenting. Most people don't REALLY care anyway and you make yourself an easy target. Instead of feeling the need to argue, engage, or otherwise speak up, just keep a small, knowing smile on your face whenever someone says how THEY'RE gonna get married and have kids. Otherwise I'd say that you're asking for all the attention that you're getting.
If the Op is running into people telling him what to do a lot, I would have to agree that his being vocal about it is the problem. I never mention to anyone that I don't care to marry and guess what, no one bothers me about because no one knows. It's like shoving anything else in people's faces like politics, religion, etc. If you don't want to hear other people's thoughts on it, don't mention it, don't post about it on Facebook, don't put bumper stickers on your car, etc.

Old 05-12-2015, 04:29 PM

9,070 posts, read 6,300,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fvuPGoizBQs

Am I the only one who feels this commercial is mocking people that say they are not interested in kids or marriage? It is like they are saying we don't know what the hell we want for ourselves. It is like they are playing God and sticking us with families we never desired in the first place and expecting us to be happy about it.

NEWS FLASH: there are people who say they don't want kids or marriage and actually have the willpower to stick to it.
Before I read the entire thread I will add my two cents on the OP as I also hate this commercial. A traditional nuclear family will have higher insurance needs than a single person or childless couple. State Farm, as well as the entire insurance industry, is insidiously trying to reinforce the notion that everyone should get married and have children as that will invariably increase the market need for insurance products which in turns increases insurance company profits.

As I am one who is a critical thinker, seeing this crap on TV only cements my decision to avoid the traditional family lifestyle.

Old 05-12-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I didn't know a commercial could be so offensive to some people, Lol.
I once saw a Dunkin' Donuts commercial where a woman in a wedding dress parked a SUV next to some shrubbery, opened the lift-gate and left a DD breakfast sandwich exposed. A scraggly, unkempt, young man popped out of the bushes to go for the sandwich and the woman shoved him into the back of the SUV, shut the lift-gate and drove off to a church. It was the most offensive commercial I ever saw in my life.

Old 05-12-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
Calm down, it's just a commercial.
Commercials contain messages and messages can be harmful (i.e. Islamic terror recruitment).

Old 05-12-2015, 04:45 PM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Before I read the entire thread I will add my two cents on the OP as I also hate this commercial. A traditional nuclear family will have higher insurance needs than a single person or childless couple. State Farm, as well as the entire insurance industry, is insidiously trying to reinforce the notion that everyone should get married and have children as that will invariably increase the market need for insurance products which in turns increases insurance company profits.

As I am one who is a critical thinker, seeing this crap on TV only cements my decision to avoid the traditional family lifestyle.
I'm not a historian, but I don't think the insurance industry invented the concept of family. I'm pretty sure the concept of family predates the insurance industry by good a bit. I'm pretty sure the concept of family even predates television. It may even predate the Internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology