Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 01:02 AM

11 posts, read 18,367 times

Advertisements

By just reason I mean say a husband finds a man trying to rape his wife he shoots and kills him and afterwards doesn't feel the least amount of guilt/remorse, does that make him a psychopath or wrong mentally in some way?

Or take me as a woman. While I have never been in the military I fully believe if I were and sent to the likes of Afghanistan/Iraq/some other muslim country I wouldn't feel the least bit sad about killing the sexist sub-human men that live over there. In fact, I would be very happy knowing not only that some evil sexist pieces of fecal matter were dead but that some poor women were spared from their genetic inbred tyranny.

So, what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 09:25 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,285,568 times
I would say that is a culture/society/morality thing!

"Normal" would be what is acceptable [for the specific situation involved] to a specific society or portion of that society such as the military. "Abnormal" would be someone who deviates from what is acceptable to that specific culture.

So in some cultures, killing is ok in certain circumstances - in other cultures the same act in the same circumstances is taboo!

So far as your specific questions above, the U.S. finds the first situation wrong - so far as the law goes - however a jury might find the man innocent anyway! So not ok, buy maybe ok.

And with the second "military" situation, there are "rules" the military goes by. Generally killing the enemy is ok, but there have been situations where a soldier was charged with murder - many people thought that was wrong (due to the situation). Also there are cases where soldiers were not charged with murder, but many people thought they should have been. (War crimes, etc.)

Rules of engagement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

War crime - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-19-2015, 11:29 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times
If you feel no guilt or remorse about killing someone, because it was done according to your own moral code, then you cannot be a sociopath, because by definition, a sociopath does not adhere to a moral code.

So if a militant member of a militant branch of a religion kills in the name of his faith, he is not a sociopath. I'd still think he was evil and horrible and needs to be stopped, but not a sociopath.

I watch a show called The Americans about a married couple who are KGB operatives living in the US as spies in the 1980s. The wife is particularly cold about doing things, including killing, in the course of their mission, so people on another thread here refer to her as a "sociopath." But she has a strong sense of right and wrong, and she cares deeply for her husband children, and others. She just believes very strongly in the mission of spreading communism, and that the USSR is right, and the US is evil. So she's not a sociopath. You can debate on whether she's evil, but having a strong moral code and the capacity to love and empathize with others means you can't be a sociopath.

My own moral code tells me that if I kill someone in self-defense or in the defense of another, then it's justified. I would probably feel shock afterward, and I might have a little struggle with the fact that I ended a life. But I imagine that ultimately I would not feel remorse, since I would believe that what I did was truly right.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:41 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,257,461 times
How about if you shoot a man in Reno, just to watch him die?

Old 05-19-2015, 11:50 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,311,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
How about if you shoot a man in Reno, just to watch him die?
Go away Johnny, this circle needs to stay broken. Also, no a psychopath does not abide by any moral code at all.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:58 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,257,461 times
Johnny Cash said that when he wrote "Folsom Prison Blues", he was trying to think of the very meanest reason for killing somebody that he possibly could. I think that "just to watch him die" is just about the meanest there is, and definitely the work of a psychopath.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:22 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
No, but it would say a lot about your personal insight and ability to empathize.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:07 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,073,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Degausser View Post
By just reason I mean say a husband finds a man trying to rape his wife he shoots and kills him and afterwards doesn't feel the least amount of guilt/remorse, does that make him a psychopath or wrong mentally in some way?

Or take me as a woman. While I have never been in the military I fully believe if I were and sent to the likes of Afghanistan/Iraq/some other muslim country I wouldn't feel the least bit sad about killing the sexist sub-human men that live over there. In fact, I would be very happy knowing not only that some evil sexist pieces of fecal matter were dead but that some poor women were spared from their genetic inbred tyranny.

So, what do you think?
if I were and sent to the likes of Afghanistan/Iraq/some other muslim country I wouldn't feel the least bit sad about killing the sexist sub-human men that live over there. In fact, I would be very happy knowing not only that some evil sexist pieces of fecal matter were dead but that some poor women were spared from their genetic inbred tyranny.

And then later you discover that your concepts were not fact but just the image "the powers to be"desired you to have so you would be willing to kill.

That is the hell many returning American soldiers are having and why more of our soldiers die as suicides than in combat.

Quote:
More U.S. Troops Died by Suicide Than in Afghanistan Combat in 2012
More U.S. Troops Died by Suicide Than in Afghanistan Combat in 2012

Old 05-19-2015, 01:34 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,414,557 times
Quote:

So, what do you think?
Lets keep it simple, shall we?

We don't have to be (Tier-1) Hardee Boys (Delta) to be a part of a GOOD take down on a dirty no good murderer or rapist...

You take an innocent life or rape a woman, or hurt a child, You Deserve To Die.

It's a good take down for the man who killed his wife's rapist.

It's a shame it happened, but it did. I would have, No mercy, No guilt, No sleepless nights, Only Justice Served.

-END GAME-

Old 05-20-2015, 05:21 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,647,866 times
Quote:

So, what do you think?
I would say that is one of the problems of warfare. It requires in some instances that humans kill and annihilate humans from the other side. I would say anyone who didn't feel even a twinge of discomfort over this, even when it's legally sanctioned as a soldier, has at least lost some of their humanity. I would think the appropriate response to killing another human, even when "justified" would be horror. Objectifying people who are "enemies" or have done something reprehensible, as the "other" and somehow less than human is a common way we humans use to rationalize the torture and/or killing of other humans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology