Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 12:45 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,989,354 times

Advertisements

What about exposure therapy? That's pretty intense, and helpful.

What about finding another person online who lives locally and has social phobia? The buddy system can be pretty amazing for people with agoraphobia/social anxiety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 02:11 AM

652 posts, read 874,032 times
Shock therapy is a good option for those who do not make progress in traditional therapy forms.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:10 AM

786 posts, read 1,593,524 times
ECT [shock therapy] would be totally inappropriate in your case. I also remember your previous posts. Doesn't sound like you're ready for change, that is essential in moving off the dime. People, including therapists tire of others who are overly self-deprecating, and they drift away from person because they're main goal is to be reassured, encouraged, loved, but to no avail and so people give up, everyone has problems and there's only so much energy one expend on someone else. There's no magic medication or therapy for anything, when you ask "is that all there is for me?", only you can answer that question.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:05 AM

756 posts, read 834,021 times
Lightbulb Blunt Advice:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthlesshuman View Post
I mean I have tried dozens of medication and been through years of therapy. None of it helped in the slightest. Is this the best western medicine has to offer?? Am I hopeless?? Am I destined to be a forever alone man child living in my parents' basement because of my debilitating anxiety?? I just want to be a functioning human. Why god why? BTW I'm not going to kill myself. I'm too much of a coward for that. When ever I search for help for my anxiety I get 3 responses:
1.therapy
2.medication
3. Man Up

Is that really all there is available?? It makes me soo sad. I could've been a god, but instead,I am just a lowly peasant defeated by a little kid problem: social anxiety.
Both "Medication" and "Therapy" are very dangerous.

I agree with your third suggestion. I have done so my self and I am glad I did.

4th Suggestion: Do many fun things, such as including but not limited to:

City Data message boards.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:07 AM

756 posts, read 834,021 times
Talking Me Too:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
What about exposure therapy? That's pretty intense, and helpful.

What about finding another person online who lives locally and has social phobia? The buddy system can be pretty amazing for people with agoraphobia/social anxiety.
I have both "agoraphobia" and "social anxiety".

What did I just say about City Data?

Old 05-20-2015, 06:35 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,414,765 times
Default Get back in the game again..

Quote:
I mean I have tried dozens of medication and been through years of therapy. None of it helped in the slightest. Is this the best western medicine has to offer?? Am I hopeless?? Am I destined to be a forever alone man child living in my parents' basement because of my debilitating anxiety?? I just want to be a functioning human. Why god why? BTW I'm not going to kill myself. I'm too much of a coward for that. When ever I search for help for my anxiety I get 3 responses:
1.therapy
2.medication
3. Man Up

Is that really all there is available?? It makes me soo sad. I could've been a god, but instead,I am just a lowly peasant defeated by a little kid problem: social anxiety.

Ok, your not a cupcake, you have balls calling yourself a coward, I like this, no, with proper out patient care, and with a good excise program, along with your meds, you could be back in the game faster then you think, I seen plenty of Soldiers go through emotional hell, almost all made it back, and they were Rangers. The one element that is always thought of last is this, >helping others<, it is good mind food and it will help yourself. It will make you feel real good about yourself again. Have you ever thought of anyone else other then yourself? like > Volunteer work<? how would you feel? if you worked really hard at passing the Fire mans test, and PT test? no it is not easy and not for the faint of heart, a Volunteer Fire man, how would you feel, say a year from now after your first save? your attitude towards yourself and towards others would change for the better in time, faster then a jack rabbit on a date. Because, for the first time in a long time it's not about you and the fact your placing other before yourself is one of the greatest mind food for thought out there. Keep with your meds, discuss what we talked about this morning with your Doctor and see what he or she thinks, get yourself going in any gym, and report back to me down the road on how your feeling, I am telling you this because all is not lost, I've seen high anxiety beaten down for good with the right combo of all of the above. Think it about young man.

just a thought
Knight

Old 05-20-2015, 06:46 AM

983 posts, read 995,187 times
Look at your screen name. worthless human. Tell yourself you are a worthwhile human, with gifts and talents you have not yet discovered. Then start believing it.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:48 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,989,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In_Correct View Post
I have both "agoraphobia" and "social anxiety".

What did I just say about City Data?
Anxiety is tough.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:35 AM

22,177 posts, read 19,217,049 times
Quote:
I have tried dozens of medication and been through years of therapy. None of it helped in the slightest. Is this the best western medicine has to offer?? I get 3 responses:
1.therapy
2.medication
3. Man Up

Is that really all there is available??
Al-Anon
go to 30 meetings in 30 days
it's free and it works
then come back and tell us what it was like for you

Old 05-20-2015, 08:44 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleister Crowley View Post
Shock therapy is a good option for those who do not make progress in traditional therapy forms.
ECT has some pretty specific and limited uses for some specific conditions, and isn't appropriate for what the OP describes. The OP says therapy didn't work, but notes that he didn't necessarily follow the treatment. It's pretty hard to assess whether or not a treatment is effective if you're not going to follow it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology