Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 10:58 PM

34,038 posts, read 17,056,322 times

Advertisements

Yes, Rambler123, the world is being just as it should be with the OP. The same OP who said he is hardly trying for work.
Are you proposing lack of effort should be supported by friends and family, as well as strangers on the internet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 11:02 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,791,580 times
I was unemployed for 2 years and my wife left at the same time. It was during the recession in 2009. If you're educated, its a lot better now. The unemployment rate is down to 5.4% from 10% a few years ago. So there really isn't an excuse to be unemployed for too long. BUT I do understand how you feel, trust me. It changed the course of my life forever and I had to move 1000 miles from home to get a job and get my career back. I hate where I live now, but I make great money and have a roof over my head, so it could be worse. Hang in there and put some effort into finding a job, a lot of effort, because thats what it takes.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:45 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
"Idle hands are the devils workshop."

You can see that played out here with all of the talk of suicide.

For gods sake people, just take any job that'll hire you. Waking up with a purpose will change your life.

Old 05-24-2015, 05:58 AM

11,368 posts, read 9,280,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody117 View Post
High school education, I've had a few part time jobs for a couple months but I got fired or laid off from them. I don't do anything for a living I'm unemployed I live with my parents. I honestly haven't tried very hard to find another job, applying online is so time consuming and depressing. 1 hour for one application that will most likely not even be looked at makes me want to blow my brains out.
What I bolded can be true. I've done longer but you have to keep hanging in there. Unlike many others posting here (assuming this topic is real) I have been through the process and can relate. What I can't relate to is a grown adult living with their parents because they don't want to take a $10.00 an hour job and live with 4 roommates.

It gets even harder to land a gainful employment position when one gets older. It's not as easy as many think it is and from what I read here so far here and elsewhere (I find it difficult for me to go over to the Employment forum) there is a lot of stereotyping.

There are a lot of jobs listed on Craigslist where most of them will not take 1-2 hours for a job application.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:16 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,032,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Yes, Rambler123, the world is being just as it should be with the OP. The same OP who said he is hardly trying for work.
Are you proposing lack of effort should be supported by friends and family, as well as strangers on the internet?
No, Bob, the world is not just.

Are you proposing that world actually hands out rewards and punishment - particularly punishment - based solely on merit? Do you really think that only "dead weight" gets hit with layoffs, or that only "good performers" are kept? Do you really think everyone out of work "deserves it" and that unemployment has nothing to do with our crumbling economy and massive outsourcing / elimination of jobs?

There is NOTHING more pathetic than a sad little man standing in false judgement over somebody else while being only one layoff - one bad quarter's profits, one CEO's bonus - away from being ruined himself, all the while cackling over his perceived superiority, while being too ignorant to realize how close he is to being in the same situation.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:36 AM

34,038 posts, read 17,056,322 times
The point, Rambler123, is with an OP not trying hard per his own posts, the world is being just towards him if the reward is a lack of job. Newsflash: Employers do not know you exist if you do not even try to get their attention, via applying for their jobs.

Do you expect employers to call all unemployed on their own each time an opening exists?

Old 05-24-2015, 09:42 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post

Are you proposing that world actually hands out rewards and punishment - particularly punishment - based solely on merit? Do you really think that only "dead weight" gets hit with layoffs, or that only "good performers" are kept? Do you really think everyone out of work "deserves it" and that unemployment has nothing to do with our crumbling economy and massive outsourcing / elimination of jobs?

There is NOTHING more pathetic than a sad little man standing in false judgement over somebody else while being only one layoff - one bad quarter's profits, one CEO's bonus - away from being ruined himself, all the while cackling over his perceived superiority, while being too ignorant to realize how close he is to being in the same situation.
Let's go beyond layoffs and talk about firings. How many firings are rooted in the fact that the boss simply does not like the person? The majority even? Anyone can find themselves working for a bad boss.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:56 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post

Actually, if you use Reason and behave rationally, the reality of unemployment is built into your plan. You save 10-20% of your pay at all times and it goes into a savings account. If you do that when you are young, you can handle multi-year unemployment with a yawn, and find a new job whenever something good becomes available.

Catastrophe is only at arms length if you leave it there. It can be pushed much farther away if you plan for it and save for it. In fact, barring extremely rare bad luck that happens one time in a million, being financially ruined by unemployment is a choice.

There is luck and variance in life, but it is a much smaller factor than people want to admit. The biggest problem is making bad choices and literally INVITING bad luck to the party.

And by and large, WE DO LIVE IN A JUST WORLD. If you do the right things in the right order, you will usually do just fine. Is there cancer? Do pianos drop on people's heads? Yes, but it is rare. FOR MOST LIVES, effort equals reward and you get what you deserve.

Old 05-24-2015, 12:14 PM

399 posts, read 406,949 times
Everyone here is so quick to blow off the criticism. That's the problem with most people today; they want to block out reality if it doesn't make them feel good. It's why kids turn to drugs instead of facing their problems and solving them.

OP, if everyone tells you you're a lazy mooch, maybe you should listen to them. When 20 people say one thing and you say the opposite, maybe you better re-evaluate and figure out why.

It's really not that difficult to find a job. That doesn't mean you'll have your dream job, but it's definitely not difficult to find A job. You're being picky, lazy, or, more than likely, both.

You've wasted an entire year of your life moping around about how everyone hates you, complaining about how long internet job applications take. If you had devoted only ONE HOUR PER DAY to filling out a job application you would have 300+ job applications out there right now. Now imagine if you doubled that or *gasp in horror* spent a normal 8 hours a day looking for work. You'd have 2400+ applications out. If you can't find any work with 2400+ applications in circulation then you're a complete loser and might as well shut it down right now.

Conclusion: You're a lazy whiner who feels bad that other people see you for what you are.

Old 05-24-2015, 02:41 PM

13,626 posts, read 10,027,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody117 View Post
Been unemployed for over a year. everyone hates you, your family, your "friends", society, they will all look at you as a loser and a bum. I don't talk to my family anymore and lost most of my "friends". There is no place in society if you are born poor and are unemployed.

this is 10x worse if you're a man though, being a good useful member of society is what male identity is all about.
Sadly, being classified by what you're employed to do, is the norm. There are many things of value that many unemployed people do, and many of the things they have their time filled with, are of far more value than a lot of recognised employment positions.

Good luck, I hope things get better for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology