Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 07:34 AM

12,957 posts, read 13,671,429 times

Advertisements

When you actually need a new car you can rent one for that specific occasion. Most working people are lucky if they can get away once or twice a month. In a given month when I was getting away every weekend I only paid around $250.00 for that months car rentals. It was like having a new car for the days that I needed one.

Take a drive around town and look at all the thousands of used and new cars on those car lots. When you are ready to take the dive trust me there will still be a glut of cars to chose from. Go to the mall and gaze at all those thousands of cars in the parking lot that the banks own. A new car can be a troublesome thing to own.

Think of your self the same as many wealthy people do who drive old cars. The used F150 was once a popular vehicle among old rich guys.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 07-05-2015 at 08:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 07:40 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red28 View Post
I know that a car is a car and transportation is important, but I feel self-conscious when I'm driving. I only ever see decent-looking cars on the road. What advice can you give me to not feel bad about driving an old rundown car? I don't have the means to buy a better car.
Take the bus for a while and see what it is like when it takes several hours to do something you used to be able to do in 30 minutes.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:40 AM

36 posts, read 33,686 times
My boyfriend had his van 20 yrs he hated to part with it .He just brought a new dodge and misses his old van I have a 528 i BMW new paid cash for it .It sit on his driveway I enjoy his car better more room .As far as other people and what they think I look at them as potted plants lol no worries hehe be good to u enjoy your ride

Old 07-05-2015, 08:11 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,285,568 times
I'll tell you what all the other people are thinking when they see you driving your car...

They are not thinking ANYTHING about you! Rather, they are wondering what YOU are thinking about THEM and their car!

Really! (So forgetaboutit.)

Old 07-05-2015, 08:26 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,037,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
If it runs and is reliable, don't sweat it.
This.

That is the only thing that matters - that and not having a car payment. I make a comfortable living, have good credit, and could have a brand new car if I wanted it, but I drive a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder with 150k miles. I bought it used and has never given me any trouble at all - but best of all its paid for.

Sit down sometime and actually do the math on car depreciation vs. interest paid (assuming you finance it) over time and see how much money you lose. Especially if you buy a brand new one. It is quite literally the same as flushing money down the toilet.

Some people though are aware of that though and don't care because their ego has to have a nice car no matter what. My ex-wife did, and still does. I ran into her a couple of years ago and she was driving a brand new mustang... but she was also working two jobs lol.

Don't be that person.

Last edited by Upstate67; 07-05-2015 at 09:14 AM..

Old 07-05-2015, 08:43 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,769,512 times
You are self-conscious about the car because you are dissatisfied with not being able to afford 'better'.
You don't need to upgrade your vehicle. You need to upgrade yourself, in the self-esteem sense.

I drive a 1998 Toyota Camry, 150k+ miles, running excellently.
But I can afford a new Lexus... no loan.
Do you think I feel embarrassed by my vehicle?? Seriously?

Old 07-05-2015, 09:27 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,622,430 times
I would think you wouldn't care about what others think by now.

I mean, if you use the word 'jalopy' you've got to be, what, 80 or 90 years old?

Old 07-05-2015, 09:36 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,414,557 times
Hi OP,
dude I've driven new Cadillac's and Lincoln's to Jeeps and trucks, my truck has 164K hard working miles on her and she drive's like a dream, I still park away from other vehicles because she still looks good but other than that it's all good. Dude you can drive worry free with no payments and you don't have to park in outer space and it sure as hell beats Rucking to where you have to go. No worries.Drive on and stay in your lane.

Old 07-05-2015, 09:42 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,182,907 times
Don't let your ego get wrapped up in a car. IMO a big part of American culture is projection of self via their wheels, for better or worse. I've been in positions where I had that '94 Civic w/250k miles. You know what? It worked as good as the ego driven vehicle I have now. I'm the same person, I'm not better now or was worse then.

Whenever I feel I'm getting too wrapped up in BS ego and materialistic attitudes, I remind myself, it all goes back in the box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10Pmeafeqyw

Old 07-05-2015, 09:45 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,580,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red28 View Post
I know that a car is a car and transportation is important, but I feel self-conscious when I'm driving. I only ever see decent-looking cars on the road. What advice can you give me to not feel bad about driving an old rundown car? I don't have the means to buy a better car.
Keep it spotless. Most people don't keep their cars spotless, so you'll be able to feel good about that.

Think of the money you're saving or not spending, by sticking with your old car. New cars cost a lot to buy, as you know. You're being practical by not buying something you can't afford. A lot of people don't do that. Be proud of yourself for that.

Work out a plan to get a new used car. Write down your goal, what it will take to get it, how long. Then work towards that goal. You will have to get a newer car sooner or later, when your old one kicks the bucket. But PLAN for it. Set aside a little money, no matter how small, in a savings acct every month. Then when you feel bad about your car, think about your plan and how it won't always be that way. (Be sure and aim for a used car that gets great gas mileage, is small, doesn't cost too much to repair, and is reliable...which means it must be a Honda, Toyota, or Subaru, the three top reliable brands in the world.)

Accept your financial situation. We live in a highly commercialized country. Everywhere there are billboards, commercials, flyers, telling us to buy this or that. That we're nothing without this or that. It makes a person feel left out, lesser than others, because he can't afford it. REMEMBER that advertising is aimed at wealthy people with expendable income to blow on non-necessities. But they can't pinpoint wealthy people precisely, so the ads are shown to everyone. Remember that they are not intended for YOU or ME.

If your financial situation is that bad, work on a plan to improve it. Improve your skills, finish your education, get a second part time job, start riding public transportation or a bicycle. I believe that everyone can improve his financial situation, if he concentrates on that and works on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology