Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 11:45 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,794,120 times

Advertisements

I drove a piece of crap Ford Tempo for years because I had other more important financial goals and I didn't want to spend the money on a new car. I've only actually had one new car in my nearly 60 years and it's almost 14 years old. Cars have never really been all that important to me. I miss the days when I could park any where and not care about what happens to it. I still park far away from everyone as the car still looks really good. If you want to drive something nicer set a financial goal, write up a plan and stick to it. If it's not that serious then don't worry about what other people think. I had the the means to drive something nice years before I bought my car. I just didn't give a hoot about driving my "dog car." I used to leave the keys in my Maverick hoping someone would steal it and put me out of my misery. I've actually had a couple of those dog cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 11:47 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
I loathe car payments, and avoid getting into situations where I have one, if at all possible.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:25 PM

50,776 posts, read 36,474,703 times
IMO it's about what having a newer car represents to you, and what driving a jalopy represents to you, not the car itself. For instance when you drive your car, does it represent wrong turns you took or things you didn't accomplish so that you are not where your peers are? When you see them in newer nicer cars, what does it mean to you? That is where the problem and the solution lies, not in saving enough money to get a nicer car but in getting your life in general where you need it to be to feel good about yourself.

I drive a 17 year old car by choice. I paid it off 8 years ago and kept it and it has 308,000 miles on it now. Not only don't I feel bad about driving it, I am exceedingly proud of it and brag about it. I can easily afford a newer car but I don't want one.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:11 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
You should talk about this in the automotive forum. It's more of a hardware problem than a psychological problem. If the body is straight, you could give it a $500 Maaco paint job and be driving a shiny new car in a week. If it has dings and dents, buy some tools and a tub of Bondo and learn to do body work. You can do the same thing with the interior: some fitted seat covers and cheap carpet on the floor and you have a whole new car. If you need a new head liner, it might cost a bit more.

If driving a beater bothers you, fix it up.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:45 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,238,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red28 View Post
I know that a car is a car and transportation is important, but I feel self-conscious when I'm driving. I only ever see decent-looking cars on the road. What advice can you give me to not feel bad about driving an old rundown car? I don't have the means to buy a better car.

Save your money and live like no one else so you can live like no one else later.
Dave Ramsey

Old 07-06-2015, 03:56 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Embrace it.

Don't be ashamed, be proud. I used to drive a sh$tbox and made jokes about it. You gotta learn to laugh about yourself.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:08 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times
Driving an old car is no big deal. Don't worry about it.

Now, when a car is a filthy pit that's full of garbage, that's another story entirely.
Then I think the owner is a slob. But that's not the car's fault.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:07 PM

464 posts, read 804,198 times
OP: as many other fine posters here have said, you needn't give a damn about what some stranger thinks of you. You drive what you can afford and if it works, why assume unnecessary debt by replacing something that runs well but is older, faded, etc?

Truth is, many of those who are really wealthy are not concerned with what others perceive of them. There was this old man in the town where I grew up who owned a huge house off Pine Island Road that backed up to Long Island Sound. He always wore worn-looking clothes that looked off the rack from Sears and he drove this orange Fiat Brava that was rusted out. I mowed his lawn in 7th & 8th grades, so I got to know him a little. Down to earth guy.

He passed away several years later when I was in high school and it was then I learned that his estate was well into the 6 figures. Never looked it, was the most unassuming person in both appearance and attitude.
He obviously didn't care what people thought of him.

I'm not recommending you go full Ebeneezer Scrooge and count your coins every evening, but enjoy your thrift!

Old 07-06-2015, 06:47 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Why feel bad about something you can't control, Now if you were a criminal and drove around in new car with a sign saying that I could understand the shame or whatever.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:57 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
What is the definition of jalopy in this situation? Merely old?

Both of my vehicles are 22 yo and the truck needs a paint job.
All of my neighbors mention my Caddy for some reason. Maybe because huge land yachts in great shape are a rarity?
No car payments but lots of maintenance. Good thing a friend and I know how to keep the things running.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology