Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 09:15 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,287,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
...Trust me when I tell you that the majority of people that do not want to be involved in "gay marriages" are not interested in indulging in the sins themselves. This is just a ploy to try to silence those that have a Biblical moral base. It shows nothing but ignorance since the longing for someone of your own sex is very rare in the population.
The church people / gay marriage / politics thing is separate and different from the violence against gays/homophobic thing...

First of all, churches are in the business of expanding and growing. People who are not ever going to have a child are not welcome in the church. Those who forgo birth control and have 8, 10, 12 kids are VERY welcome in the church!

Just imagine a good portion of those kids growing up and adding to the collection plate as it passes! $$$ for the church! Yea!

Secondly churches are made up of "followers" who do as they are told. So they are not opposed to gay marriage due to any thoughts or feelings of their own, rather they are doing what they have been told to do. (So correct, not homophobic, no repressed sexual desires.)

And third, politicians do not want to discuss the REAL issues - (i.e. giving the American people the shaft, sending jobs elsewhere, giving billions of dollars to foreign countries and not fixing our bridges or taking care of our veterans.) They want to conveniently deflect the conversation to "non-issues" such as abortion or gay marriage.

And those things are not important to most people gay or straight. How many times in your life would you have an abortion or get married - gay, straight, or whatever? Rarely!

Yet we drive over falling apart bridges daily and need jobs and healthcare daily. Why don't the politicians want to discuss those things?

Answer: Because they are bought and paid for by large corporations and foreign governments. They will do the bidding of those and not do a thing for the American people...

Last edited by Billy_J; 07-08-2015 at 09:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 09:58 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,880,599 times
I already told people to stop debating homosexuality. This is not the thread or forum for it.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Well lets say that "sets the stage". Then beyond that - what causes someone to step over the line and act - same thing which causes someone to assault another person as opposed to someone else who can restrain themselves.
I like the phrase "sets the stage," but I think it's basically a diversion tactic. I've never heard of a sexually confused person doing physical gay-bashing. That seems usually a group behavior, maybe often involving alcohol.

If anyone is wondering, this isn't a pro-gay thread. Personally I don't like seeing or thinking of gay physical intimacy. I don't even like seeing PDA between heterosexuals (beyond PG stuff like hand-holding). Furthermore, I associate PDA with superficial, sex-based relationships, which makes me feel moral disgust. I think the whole disgust element is severely underestimated in violent inclinations toward gay couples.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:28 AM

379 posts, read 359,334 times
Pure conjecture, but I think there is some sort of genetic hardwiring to be violent towards the unfamiliar. When some people first see a kangaroo or a guy riding a unicycle, they think "wow that's cool! what is that?" However, as far as I can tell, the first thought most have is how to kill the kangaroo or run over the guy on the unicycle.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:40 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Maybe they should stop trying to force their lifestyles on everyone else. It's funny to see them play this victim act. Lol. Then they want to try to sue people and destroy their livelihoods. They get exactly what they deserve.
Force? Were black people trying to force anything on you when they were seeking equal rights? Were women?
No, they were simply trying to get the same rights as you.

Businesses deserve to be sued when they break the law. It's not rocket science.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:41 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,760,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
People are violent toward homosexuals because they have unresolved issues with their own sexuality.
Or they're violent jerks, period. Gays have no little protection and so much hatred directed at them that they are easy to see as OK targets, if you are the kind of person looking for someone it's OK to beat up on.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:44 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,372,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I like the phrase "sets the stage," but I think it's basically a diversion tactic. I've never heard of a sexually confused person doing physical gay-bashing. That seems usually a group behavior, maybe often involving alcohol.

If anyone is wondering, this isn't a pro-gay thread. Personally I don't like seeing or thinking of gay physical intimacy. I don't even like seeing PDA between heterosexuals (beyond PG stuff like hand-holding). Furthermore, I associate PDA with superficial, sex-based relationships, which makes me feel moral disgust. I think the whole disgust element is severely underestimated in violent inclinations toward gay couples.
for a "good heathen" you're pretty uptight. For the record, my superficial sex-based relationships don't involve PDA. That's usually for people who are committed to each other in some way.

Old 07-08-2015, 12:34 PM

769 posts, read 782,439 times
It's about supremacy.

A basher considers the victim inferior (be it sexuality, race, caste, religion,...) and some show their perceived superiority with violence, others with hateful rhetoric (like in this thread).

It's an inherent human trait that is more suppressed in well adjusted individuals and less so in *******s.

Probably related to survival of the fittest.

Old 07-08-2015, 12:36 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emllik View Post
Some humans have trouble fully understanding their own sexuality and geek out over anything they perceive as taboo, such as homosexuality. I think some were unable to explore that portion of their own sexuality and are subsequently resentful of people who have not only explored, but embraced their sexuality and orientation. Most people are bisexual in the first place. That's why you hear about homosexuality being a choice. Well, it is for most people. 10% are gay, 80% are bisexual, and the remaining 10% are heterosexual. Most bisexual people, if forced to choose, tend to preserve the status quo and live a heterosexual lifestyle since it leads to procreation.

I must be in the 10% then, because I can't think of ONE instance of having any fantasy about being with another dude! Anyway I call BS on the 80% being bisexual.

Old 07-08-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
for a "good heathen" you're pretty uptight. For the record, my superficial sex-based relationships don't involve PDA. That's usually for people who are committed to each other in some way.
"Uptight" is in a way my idea of "good," meaning moral. ("Heathen" refers partly to lack of religion.) Brand-new acquaintances don't normally hold hands, but if they're horny and especially if they are drunk, they might do things like grope. So might people in open relationships (common among gays, I've read) and other established couples where sexual attraction is the main thing keep them together. I think sometimes the couples who get gay-bashed have been drinking. Consistent with drinking, it seems to usually happen at night.

There might also be an element of sexual frustration, since men don't seem to make unprovoked attacks on strangers when the former are accompanied by women. Perhaps deep down they feel like they're seeing a perversion of what their reality should be. I suspect that most people who get violent with strangers generally lack the insight to understand their deeper motives.

Also, there might be some involuntary attention to/revulsion to tight pants or a feminine walk. Granted, those are stereotypes, but gay men do that more often than straight guys do. However, that probably has nothing to do with couples per se.

Last edited by goodheathen; 07-08-2015 at 02:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology